Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by skymutt
I love luxury hotels..am wondering is this hotel worth 495euros for a standard room in May?
There are other nice hotels like The Grand, Hotel Pulitzer, and The Marriot that I can get for 350 euros. Just wondering if it is worth the extra $$$??

Thanks!
Grand, Pulitzer and Marriott are not in the same class, by a long shot, as the Amstel.

Some times I wonder why IC has premium, classic, properties like the Amstel, when they also have boring steel-and-glass towers in many places. Amstel would be a jewel of a property even for the 4 Seasons/Ritz/LHOTW chains.

I'm glad it's part of the IC chain and wish they had more like it. As an RA, outstanding.

NB According to the Eurocrats, the plural of "euro" is officially "euro" ... go figure! Not that people adhere to that usage but I suppose one day there will be some law from Brussels penalizing incorrect usage :-)
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:35 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

My cousins swear by this property. And would not like to see this review
I love Amsterdam and the Dutch but this property is over rated IMO
Though the staff seems polished and professional I found more then a few sadly phony and not sincere during my visit. I was also refused RA mini bar privileges but ignored them and helped myself. I was told the Ambassador coordinator was on vacation so nobody knew what benefits were. I was told only bottled water is complimentary during my stay. Good try!

My upgrade however was stunning considering the use of points during my stay.
I abhor the location and the cost of taxis makes the hotel IMO a liability except for the expense account crowd and those with hundreds to toss around. Unless you are a tram fan as that might be feasable for some.
The grounds and public areas certainly live up to the hype. The small 20 year old TV in the suites pathetic for that caliber hotel.

Room service delivered a Caesar salad with Luke warm watery dressing a few measly rubbery scraps of chicken and 2 tiny scones that were hard like a rock and not warmed. The bill was approx 60 US dollars. Though I sent it back they refused to remove it from my bill and sent up yet a duplicate order after I said not to.
As I departed the hotel a desk agent confronted me in front of a family member and said we heard you were not happy with your stay.

My family member who I did everything to hide the failures from now knew there were problems.
I know my stay was probably not typical and quite frankly now knowing their strengths and weak aspects I might return in the right situation in good weather months.
That said I have plans to avoid the hotel as much as possible.
I can’t recommend the Sofitel Grand highly enough for a wonderful stay though I don’t know how the upkeep currently is. It is one of my favorite hotels in the world.And though the Sofitel Grand has had their share of celebrities the Amstel gets more of them as it is secluded from the heart of the city and it is far more private.
It also has the posh elegance sort of style going on in the lobby.
Yet I still prefer the Sofitel Grand.Personal taste bottom line
Great character and memories there at the Sofitel Grand.Not to be confused with the other Grand in Amsterdam
Their loyalty program is no great shakes however and pitiful compared to the great programs we are used to. I mourned when SPG lost it years ago
FYI Marriott is tired......Swissotel has great rooms/hot location as long as you get a renovated room or suite.No fancy lobby though and the Radisson SAS does a very good job too in town.Solid business hotels with good bangs for the buck.Have time? tour the Amstel IC by all means or spend a night and see if its for you and your taste
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 12, 2008 at 12:56 am
Old Feb 12, 2008, 1:22 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Member, Marriott
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
My cousins swear by this property. And would not like to see this review
I love Amsterdam and the Dutch but this property is over rated IMO
Though the staff seems polished and professional I found more then a few sadly phony and not sincere during my visit. I was also refused RA mini bar privileges but ignored them and helped myself. I was told the Ambassador coordinator was on vacation so nobody knew what benefits were. I was told only bottled water is complimentary during my stay. Good try!

My upgrade however was stunning considering the use of points during my stay.
I abhor the location and the cost of taxis makes the hotel IMO a liability except for the expense account crowd and those with hundreds to toss around. Unless you are a tram fan as that might be feasable for some.
The grounds and public areas certainly live up to the hype. The small 20 year old TV in the suites pathetic for that caliber hotel.

Room service delivered a Caesar salad with Luke warm watery dressing a few measly rubbery scraps of chicken and 2 tiny scones that were hard like a rock and not warmed. The bill was approx 60 US dollars. Though I sent it back they refused to remove it from my bill and sent up yet a duplicate order after I said not to.
As I departed the hotel a desk agent confronted me in front of a family member and said we heard you were not happy with your stay.

My family member who I did everything to hide the failures from now knew there were problems.
I know my stay was probably not typical and quite frankly now knowing their strengths and weak aspects I might return in the right situation in good weather months.
That said I have plans to avoid the hotel as much as possible.
I can’t recommend the Sofitel Grand highly enough for a wonderful stay though I don’t know how the upkeep currently is. It is one of my favorite hotels in the world.And though the Sofitel Grand has had their share of celebrities the Amstel gets more of them as it is secluded from the heart of the city and it is far more private.
It also has the posh elegance sort of style going on in the lobby.
Yet I still prefer the Sofitel Grand.Personal taste bottom line
Great character and memories there at the Sofitel Grand.Not to be confused with the other Grand in Amsterdam
Their loyalty program is no great shakes however and pitiful compared to the great programs we are used to. I mourned when SPG lost it years ago
FYI Marriott is tired......Swissotel has great rooms/hot location as long as you get a renovated room or suite.No fancy lobby though and the Radisson SAS does a very good job too in town.Solid business hotels with good bangs for the buck.Have time? tour the Amstel IC by all means or spend a night and see if its for you and your taste
Cheers
I am not sure which year you stayed at IC Amstel but their televisions are not that old and the description doesn't resemble how most guests/ people experience this hotel.

Its sound more that you are not happy at a stay of a hotel in this kind of Luxury espec. if you compair IC Amstel with a Sofitel hotel. Amstel is not just any IC hotel.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 1:48 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
NB According to the Eurocrats, the plural of "euro" is officially "euro" ... go figure!
In all EU documents, the nominative singular spelling must be 'euro' in all languages ('ευρώ' in Greek alphabet; 'еуро' in Cyrillic alphabet). Plural forms and declensions are accepted as long as they do not change the 'eur-' root.
http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/...ins8958_en.htm
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Not sure what your problem is with the location of the Amstel.

It is very convenient for the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum and the luxury shopping street that runs down the side of the Van Gogh museum.

It is not, admittedly, so great for the tacky shopping street (Damrak?) that runs south from the railway station but Amstel guests are unlikely to spend much time there.

It is about a 20-25 minute walk to the Jordaan area and the Anne Frank museum, but as you can do the walk along the edge of the canal it is very pleasurable.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:32 am

Programs: some
If I pay for IC Ambassador status I understand this would be a good property to use the 2nd free night on. I assume that this would mean one does not ALSO get the upgrade?

I had a look on the IC website but it's not immediately clear to me where to sign up. Or does one ring them?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Fliar
If I pay for IC Ambassador status I understand this would be a good property to use the 2nd free night on. I assume that this would mean one does not ALSO get the upgrade?

I had a look on the IC website but it's not immediately clear to me where to sign up. Or does one ring them?
You get the upgrade as well. And the late check-out. And the free pay-TV movie.

A BOGO cert has no impact on your benefits at all. The only exception is (occasionally) when you book a 'breakfast inclusive' rate as the property can, if it wishes, charge you for breakfast on the 2nd night.

priorityclub.com/ambassador is the page you're looking for
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
IC Amsterdam

I stayed at the IC Amsterdam last weekend. I had two rooms (one for my wife and I, amd the other for my mother as it was her birthday) The light fitting in my mothers room (109) fell from the celing and hit her on the arm, when I mantioned this to the manager, he seemed more concerned about fixing the light, than he was about my mother. As this happened on the last morning of our stay, I did't take this any furtehr. But now that I think about it, I'm quite annoyed. Should I go contact the hotel or the IC Amb line? Also what do you think they should do about it?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:50 am
uk1
Suspended

Hi Jonathan, welcome to the fold!

It sounds inept of them - but why not just forget it? What can actually be done now to rectify it?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by uk1
Hi Jonathan, welcome to the fold!

It sounds inept of them - but why not just forget it? What can actually be done now to rectify it?
maybe by offering your mum a free lesson on how to fix a lamp
Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by Jonathan2712
I stayed at the IC Amsterdam last weekend. I had two rooms (one for my wife and I, amd the other for my mother as it was her birthday) The light fitting in my mothers room (109) fell from the celing and hit her on the arm, when I mantioned this to the manager, he seemed more concerned about fixing the light, than he was about my mother. As this happened on the last morning of our stay, I did't take this any furtehr. But now that I think about it, I'm quite annoyed. Should I go contact the hotel or the IC Amb line? Also what do you think they should do about it?
A warm welcome to FT!

I stayed twice in this hotel. Couple of staff are not so friendly, especially if you are not royalties or celebrities

If I were you, I would definitely write to [email protected] to let them know your experience / to draw an official complaint (you are entitled to). Whenever I receive bad treatment from hotels, I usually complain directly through email to ambassador desk. They are very efficient and for sure will answer you within 2 working days. Usually they will do something to make you feel better, trust me.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
A warm welcome to FT!

Couple of staff are not so friendly, especially if you are not royalties or celebrities
Well, I am not royalty BUT always had an excellent service and welcome at IC Amstel, which is one of the nicest and best IC in the world
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:16 pm

Ams/schiphol question

Which property is preferred : CP Schiphol or the HI Schiphol? I stayed at the HI last year, was upgraded to a nice mini suite. For my days in Dec the CP is priced about 10 euros less, so I am considering it. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 1:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
The CP was very good when I stayed there. I was upgraded to a suite and given club access (which was very good). Not the most modern hotel though. Not stayed at the HI so can't comment which is better.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
The CP Schiphol tends to upgrade all plats (maybe golds too if space available I'm not sure) to the club floor although personally I've never had a suite upgrade. Perhaps it's because I tend to always arrive late at this hotel so the suites are already allocated. You'll probably also get a voucher for a free drink at the bar.

The lounge is nice although last time I checked they didn't have any breakfast in the lounge. This was a weekend so I can't comment on weekdays. Most times I book a breakfast inclusive rate and I've been happy with the breakfast offering in the restaurant, if the flight is really early I just take my chances on the offering in the KLM lounge.

Bus is complimentary to the hotel but you have to pay to return to the airport. If you use the shuttle bus then make sure you get your tickets for the return leg added to your bill for a few extra points

If you're arriving after midnight when the shuttle is not running or you're travelling from the centre of Amsterdam then take the train to Hoofddorp and the hotel is only a short walk from this station.

I initially chose the CP because reviews I read before my first stay were more positive than for the HI. As I was treated well I've never thought of giving the HI a try as they're both priced similarly. If I was paying with points though I may give the HI a try as it's 15000 as opposed to 25000 for the CP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.