Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC MIAMI Downtown Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2003, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Miami Intercontinental Hotel

Included in this trip report http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/004016.html is a discussion of our stay at the downtown Miami Intercontinental Hotel.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:10 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
InterContinental Miami

I have booked 2 nights at the InterContinental Miami during the Thanksgiving. I just wonder how the rooms at this hotel are. Also, I understand that give the same price that I have paid, I can choose to have Superior or Deluxe rooms. What is the difference between Superior and Deluxe rooms at this hotel? As a Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club Silver Card member, am I entitled to any upgrade at this hotel? Thanks a lot.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
Thumbs down IC Miami

Had a really crap stay at the IC (Chopin Plaza) Miami last Thursday night. Was invited to check in at the Guest Services desk due to the queue at at reception. Had booked a deluxe harbour view at $240 and was told that we had been upgraded to a 31st floor parlour suite - but this is a one off and not to expect it normally - !!!

Room was nice and big but the TV in the lounge did not work, the crib that was delivered for my daughter was, when we attempted to put her in it falling to bits. Next morning there was no hot water. I pre arranged a 1600 checkout on arrival but got a call around 1230 remindig me that we should have checked out at 1200!!

At this point I called the operator and demanded to speak to the GM but was fobbed off with a return call from the front desk supervisor.

I spent $400 in that place in one night and it was a disgrace.

email sent to PC but don't know waht that will bring.

Regards

John
Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:01 pm

Thumbs down IC Miami

Stayed last week at the IC in downtown Miami, and had a horrible experience. Don't usually stay at IC, and I am certainly now less inclined to do so in the future.

I had booked a "Business Options" rate of approximately $350/night, which was supposed to give me an upgrade to a Jr. Suite or Club Floor if available. Requested the upgrade to a Jr. Suite (as I have no use for the club floor), which I was told was available if I wanted to pay, but the front desk never heard of Business Options and insisted that my rate gave me no upgrade at all. Upon my insistence, she asked a manager (as I waited), returned to tell me that I was right, and proceeded to give me the club room instead of my choice of Jr. Suite. The Business Options rate was an extra $35/night or so, and turned out to be wasted money.

Room was decorated horribly. A real nightmare of garish "Miami Vice" furniture and rough stone bathroom. Much more importantly, upon waking the next morning, I was to find that the dinky showerhead was clogged up and it was impossible to shower beneath the drippage. The bathtub had no shower head, so forced to take a bath. Highly aggravating.

Called down to front desk and told them that it needed to be fixed or they would have to move me when I returned. Upon return from work in the evening, nothing had been fixed, and the front desk had no record of my call. Asked for manager and left a message, but still waiting for a return call. Finally complained loudly enough for Front Desk staff to take notice, and repaired it somewhat, but still exceptionally poor shower, and entirely unacceptable for the approximately $350/night rate I was paying.

Upon checkout the next day the clerk asked me how my stay was and I let him know that it was poor, and explained to him why. He assured me that he would bring it up with the Manager and that he would be sure to call me. Still waiting.

Short story: don't stay here. Very mediocre accommodations at premium prices. Hope to avoid downtown in the future, but I am sure that I could do no worse at other hotels for more reasonable prices.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
With those kind of prices, maybe you should have tried Mandarin Oriental.
Beautiful property and a very nice restaurant Azur.

I would be more inclined towards Hyatt downtown personally or go to Coconut Grove or Coral Gables than downtown.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:46 pm

On that trip, since I was preoccupied with business, I was only looking for a comfortable place to stay downtown, and for those rates, expected it. Next time, I will know better.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 5:07 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
IC Miami Experiences?

Flipped through the search, but I don't remember seeing any threads from the past year focusing on this hotel. If there are, please accept my apologies.

In November, I'm taking a weekend in Miami (after the ASME conference) in Orlando, and I'm looking forward to staying at my first IC after elevation to RA.

That said, I have a few questions for people who stayed there (not the West Miami):

a) Minibar - snacks, alcoholic drinks, nonalcoholic. What was complementary?

b) What was the upgrade? (I've booked a Club Intercontinental room in the hopes of scoring a suite.)

c) Is there much to do within walking distance on the weekend, or is it very quiet in the area?

d) Did you have any issues with early check-in (if applicable)?

Thanks for any info you can give (And I'm sure I'll have more questions in the next few days.)
Old Sep 18, 2005, 7:08 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Thumbs up

I had a very nice stay at the IC Miami in August. I reserved an ordinary room, but the front desk directed me to the Club lounge for check-in when I arrived around 2 p.m. Not only did I get club privileges, but I also had a huge suite with two bathrooms, Molton Brown products, etc. It was clear that the upgrade had been arranged in advance.

Beverages, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, were free from the mini-bar. I didn't attempt to take anything else. The club lounge also has a "mini-bar" of its own with free beverages. The club also serves breakfast, afternoon tea, and happy hour -- all three of which include generous amounts of food.

The area is more for business than for leisure, although the pool is nice. The Hard Rock Cafe is about a five-minute walk from the hotel, and there are nice restaurants in the same complex. Although I didn't use it, there is a hotel shuttle to the beach.

In short, the IC Miami did a great job for me as a RA. I would definitely return, although it's a shame IC doesn't have a beachfront resort in Florida.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by HLS2002
I had a very nice stay at the IC Miami in August. I reserved an ordinary room, but the front desk directed me to the Club lounge for check-in when I arrived around 2 p.m. Not only did I get club privileges, but I also had a huge suite with two bathrooms, Molton Brown products, etc. It was clear that the upgrade had been arranged in advance.

Beverages, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, were free from the mini-bar. I didn't attempt to take anything else. The club lounge also has a "mini-bar" of its own with free beverages. The club also serves breakfast, afternoon tea, and happy hour -- all three of which include generous amounts of food.

The area is more for business than for leisure, although the pool is nice. The Hard Rock Cafe is about a five-minute walk from the hotel, and there are nice restaurants in the same complex. Although I didn't use it, there is a hotel shuttle to the beach.

In short, the IC Miami did a great job for me as a RA. I would definitely return, although it's a shame IC doesn't have a beachfront resort in Florida.
Ditto HLS2002- I was on a convention rate that didn't meet the threshold for point accrual, and still got a huge suite that was clearly the size of two rooms with 2 full lavatories, on a top floor with great views. The decor was somewhat garish, but a good experience overall. No charge on the assault on the booze in the minibar.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:26 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Similar experience .. upgrade to suite. Not great view as I faced the 'canal' which had construction.

Bedroom decent (from memory) but living room stuck out as very trendy. The wierd thing was this TV unit that was on a floor-to-ceiling pole in the corner of the room... you turned it and the top 1/2 was tv and bottom half storeage. SHOULD have been a Plasma/LCD TV but was a normal 25" TV that seemed almost out of place. Couch not horribly comfortable to lay on watching TV!

The other 'wierd' thing about the suite was that a connecting door was in the bathroom to another room/suite. Strange being on the toilet and hearing voices on the other side of the door (not speaking English!)... normally connecting doors are in the room somewhere in the open! Tho bathroom had a GREAT separate shower stall behind the door!
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:47 am

Bayside Marketplace is walking distance from the hotel. There's quite a bit more there than just the Hard Rock Cafe (my suggestion would be to savor the Churrasco at Los Ranchos)

http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/
Old Jan 18, 2008, 5:50 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
IC MIAMI Downtown Master Thread [merged]

Stayed here for 1 night pre-cruise & was not impressed with our room, no way was it 4* for $200+ it was a joke, Ive stayed in better Miami motels for 1/4 the price.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: PC, BA Low Rent Elite
That's a shame. What type of room did you book?
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by xcalx
Stayed here for 1 night pre-cruise & was not impressed with our room, no way was it 4* for $200+ it was a joke, Ive stayed in better Miami motels for 1/4 the price.
Sorry to hear that. Just want to make sure if you stayed at IC Miami downtown, not IC Miami West. There are 2 ICs in Miami. IC Miami West is the worst IC I had ever come across, but IC Miami downtown is pretty good for RA with room upgrade although its not near the beach. Also I notice that IC MIA west has a lot of pre-cruise passengers for 1 night stay. Usually the room rate for IC Miami downtown is $300+ during high season (winter), so I suspect the one you stayed is IC MIA west. Well, I might be wrong.

I recently stayed at (non-ICHG hotel) THE PALMS SOUTH BEACH with room rate $110+ on weekday and it goes up to $200+ on weekend. Pretty good value for such a nice beach hotel, especially when Crowne Plaza the Palm at South Beach disappeared from ICHG.

Last edited by GordonGordon; Jan 18, 2008 at 2:30 pm
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
hi we booked a standard double in oct 2007 for 1 night pre cruise $249 + tax at miami port (chopin plaza ?) checked in at 10 30pm were exhausted from 18hours travel ( legs had swollen so was not walking too good) the girl on reception says "you irish sure know how to party your always drunk".
could not be bothered taking her on , we are not irish and had not had a drink. checked out 8.30 am. room was small dated and stank of smoke and were smokers ( the bed was very comfortable )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.