Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SMS69
I'm bottom rung AMB and booked Club Corner Suite using advance purchase rate. I received an email from IC BKK that reads:

Greetings from InterContinental Bangkok.

Thank you very much for your up-coming reservation on 00 - 00 Month 2017. As our valued Ambassador member, you are entitled to a one step upgrade (subject to availability) which would be from Club Corner Suite to Premier Suite. However, we regret to inform to you that our Big Suite are no longer available as per new policy.

We would like to ask if you would be comfortable to stay in Club Corner Suite, so we could offer a special discount room rate of THB 9,256.19++ We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your kind understanding.

The rate they have quoted is the Advance Purchase rate for the non-Club Corner Suite (i.e. King Bed Corner Suite). Aren't they meant to be offering me King Club InterContinental rate for which I get an AMB upgrade to the Club Corner Suite?
I tend to agree, that purchasing Club Room, the Ambassador +1cat upgrade is to corner suite , and you keep the club access already purchased.

In theory hotels can simply point at exclusion and Premier Suite , a single double windowed room (just 1x prem suite in whole hotel) has always been excluded, and does not need to either upgrade or refund a level.

It is nice IC BKK is proactively reaching out to offer a reduction, to next priced room downwards, although I can see that if aware upfront you'd maybe book club room.

In the "old days" 4 years ago it was rare to see the corner suites sold without inclusve lounge access, but sometimes was then available as corner-suite w/o lounge at lower rate, useful if not around to benefit from lounge access.
Issue is despite 31 corner suite/club-corner-suite room pool (the exact same rooms by the way) enough guests book suites direct and/or shoud get as RA/Amb upgrade that IC BKK can not fulfill for all.
As such if you book Club as Ambassador you may not get suite upgrade, but rate difference refund of Club->Exec so as Amb if you must have suite at IC BKK, I recommend you book it in first place just like you did.

(And as RA I have booked Club at IC BKK, been offered rate refund Grand Dlx->Club , in which case if i really want suite I stay elsewhere)
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
I'm bottom rung AMB and booked Club Corner Suite using advance purchase rate. I received an email from IC BKK that reads:

Greetings from InterContinental Bangkok.

Thank you very much for your up-coming reservation on 00 - 00 Month 2017. As our valued Ambassador member, you are entitled to a one step upgrade (subject to availability) which would be from Club Corner Suite to Premier Suite. However, we regret to inform to you that our Big Suite are no longer available as per new policy.

We would like to ask if you would be comfortable to stay in Club Corner Suite, so we could offer a special discount room rate of THB 9,256.19++ We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your kind understanding.

The rate they have quoted is the Advance Purchase rate for the non-Club Corner Suite (i.e. King Bed Corner Suite). Aren't they meant to be offering me King Club InterContinental rate for which I get an AMB upgrade to the Club Corner Suite?
What dates are you going? Seems a bit high to me for Bangkok.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: IC Gold Ambassador
Thank you for all the info scubaccr! I'm going around mid-March, sleuth.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Whenever I have been there recently it has been stuffed full of tour groups. Maybe that is paying really well and they see mainstream bookings as peripheral business?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:29 pm

Thank you for all the info scubaccr! I'm going around mid-March, sleuth.
They are taking advantage of you with that rate during the hottest month of the year (seriously, it's miserable). I just priced out the Conrad Bangkok March 15-21 and get an advanced purchase rate of 6997 Thai Bhat for a King Corner Executive, and 5747 Thai Bhat for a non-executive King bed Deluxe Corner. Get the Citi Hilton Reserve and get automatic Gold status and quite possibly an upgrade from either room.

Millenium Hilton Bangkok has a King River View Suite for 5081 Thai Bhat and the King Panoramic River Suite for 5497 Thai Bhat.

Last edited by sleuth; Feb 2, 2017 at 3:36 pm
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sleuth
They are taking advantage of you with that rate during the hottest month of the year (seriously, it's miserable). I just priced out the Conrad Bangkok March 15-21 and get an advanced purchase rate of 6997 Thai Bhat for a King Corner Executive, and 5747 Thai Bhat for a non-executive King bed Deluxe Corner. Get the Citi Hilton Reserve and get automatic Gold status and quite possibly an upgrade from either room.

Millenium Hilton Bangkok has a King River View Suite for 5081 Thai Bhat and the King Panoramic River Suite for 5497 Thai Bhat.
Crap location though.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Crap location though.
Conrad is a great location. Mill. Hilton on river with amazing views. IC is still taking advantage at nearly 10k Bhat.....in March, not even high season.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Hot Season

The weather in Thailand is classified as hot and humid, with a long monsoon season. Thailand has three official seasons - hot, cool, and wet. The hot season runs from March through to June, with April and May the hottest months of the year.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sleuth
Conrad is a great location. Mill. Hilton on river with amazing views. IC is still taking advantage at nearly 10k Bhat.....in March, not even high season.
I meant the Hilton, the price and location are linked. I have stayed there a couple of times always booked into suites as they are cheap but I still hate the location.

Conrad is much better in most respects than the IC. The IC lounge is still just about a little better and I prefer the location but everything else at the Conrad is better but the King Corner isn't a great room, just better than an IC room.

The Starwood options are better still though.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Whenever I have been there recently it has been stuffed full of tour groups. Maybe that is paying really well and they see mainstream bookings as peripheral business?
It's really so bad in that regard recently......and particularly at weekends. They seem to be selling group/wholesale package deals heavily discounted but keeping rates high for individual travelers. Probably a great deal for a weekend shopping/eating/relaxing break from Singapore, KL, Hong Kong.
Maybe the lounge offers a better experience ( never been in it) but the breakfast on level M is so crowded it has a queue. It used to be a highlight...no longer.
I struggle to find a compelling, indeed any, reason to stay here again. More expensive than the GH and ,IMO , a lesser experience.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:02 am

I've changed from IHG to Hilton starting with Q4 last year and my prefered hotel of the Hilton group in BKK is the Conrad. My prefered IHG hotel in Bangkok was the Intercontinental.

I agree with LoM, that all in all the Conrad is better than the Intercontinental in Bangkok. Yes, the IC lounge is a bit better (if not crowded) and the location of the IC is better too (BTS, shopping centers).

At the Conrad the rooms are better maintained. The service is better, especially the house keeping works really good at the Conrad. With the Suite Terrace you can get a room, that is a bit different to the normal hotel rooms. The rates are lower than the rates at the IC. And finally Hilton Honors is a reliable and professional loyalty program. Reliable and professional, these are two words, that don't match at all to the Ambassador program.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thbe
I've changed from IHG to Hilton starting with Q4 last year and my prefered hotel of the Hilton group in BKK is the Conrad. My prefered IHG hotel in Bangkok was the Intercontinental.

I agree with LoM, that all in all the Conrad is better than the Intercontinental in Bangkok. Yes, the IC lounge is a bit better (if not crowded) and the location of the IC is better too (BTS, shopping centers).

At the Conrad the rooms are better maintained. The service is better, especially the house keeping works really good at the Conrad. With the Suite Terrace you can get a room, that is a bit different to the normal hotel rooms. The rates are lower than the rates at the IC. And finally Hilton Honors is a reliable and professional loyalty program. Reliable and professional, these are two words, that don't match at all to the Ambassador program.

The Conrad is better in BKK but not in Bali.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:32 am

Do they still offer Plats (not Spire) an option between comped breakfast or happy hour?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Do they still offer Plats (not Spire) an option between comped breakfast or happy hour?
Choice bf/eve-drinks is the offer to any guest booking (or upgraded to) the Exec Category room type
(nothing to do with whether guest is @rewards elite or Ambassador elite, excepting ambassador booking G Dlx is guaranteed upgrade to Exec Deluxe )

untypically for hotels this hotels, all non-suite rooms,
grand deluxe / exec deluxe / club-room, categories,
are same size/layout , so room category is differentiated only by the add-on benefits
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:42 pm

I stayed 5 nights at IC in early-mid February. Location was fantastic, right next to BTS. I originally wanted to stay at Conrad but stayed at IC because I had a couple expiring IHG certs. No regrets at all. Didn't care about breakfast or Club because there's SOOOO much excellent cheap food minutes away by foot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.