Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by markis10
My club room last year had all half bottles, hardly 20cl minis, and the suites have the same, ie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/christr...g/17000367462/
Think I'm going to have to modify my wines MOP and read up on some spirit based cocktail recipes on the flight later. Thanks for the data and pic markis10. .... Always better to know what you are faced with....specially if it's a longer trip.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Lounge service is OK but can be patchy, I have certainly struggled hard to get attention sometimes though.

The Theo Randall place downstairs is OK, the Sunday brunch is also pretty decent but the other in property dining options are a tad meh. There are some much better options within a short walk/cab ride.

The IC minibar wouldn't swing it for me here. I have seldom had much more than a beer or Diet Coke, it is standard Thai 20cl moderate spirits, which aren't that expensive to buy locally if you are so inclined. This property is pretty much off my stay list now unless I need some cheap IC nights for the RA renewal gamble.
Thanks for the steer Land-of-miles. Interested in some of the walk to options you mention if you have the time. Cheers
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:56 am

Any word folks on the health club, pool etc? Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat Amb
I thought the pool and the health club were quite nice. The pool is somewhat small, but I really like how it is set up. The health club is huge.
I stayed there just last month. I thought the lounge was very upscale and enjoyed it tremendously. Very good food and drinks. I like that they will make drinks for you. I really enjoyed the view.

Good points made along the discussion, but my first impression was very impressed.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Thanks for the steer Land-of-miles. Interested in some of the walk to options you mention if you have the time. Cheers
For something slightly different there are 2 "luxury" food courts one at Central Chidlom and one at Siam Paragon. They are both quite fun albeit I prefer food loft at Chidlom and they have waiter served options and a full bar.

Langsuan is chock full of good eating options too many really to list but Gaggan is a must. It is definitely worth a stroll down there to see if you like the look of anything ranging from Thai to International and various good Italian and Italian Thai fusion options.

Really worth a trip to Nahm at the Metropolitan or failing that Celadon at the Sukothai.

For burgers 25 degrees at the Pullman.

Take a look at Thailand Tatlers online restaurant guide, my views and theirs tend to align pretty well.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
I think it is a waste of time. Bangkok is a treasure of local tiny restaurants and the best street food in the world. It's best to be out and about.
Agree 100%. Street food all the way in Bangkok!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Lenflyer64
I thought the pool and the health club were quite nice. The pool is somewhat small, but I really like how it is set up. The health club is huge.
I stayed there just last month. I thought the lounge was very upscale and enjoyed it tremendously. Very good food and drinks. I like that they will make drinks for you. I really enjoyed the view.

Good points made along the discussion, but my first impression was very impressed.
Thanks Lenflyer......sounds very promising and I noticed they have Concept 2 rowers in the gym....to counter balance the club lounge and mini bar!!!! All the best
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
For something slightly different there are 2 "luxury" food courts one at Central Chidlom and one at Siam Paragon. They are both quite fun albeit I prefer food loft at Chidlom and they have waiter served options and a full bar.

Langsuan is chock full of good eating options too many really to list but Gaggan is a must. It is definitely worth a stroll down there to see if you like the look of anything ranging from Thai to International and various good Italian and Italian Thai fusion options.

Really worth a trip to Nahm at the Metropolitan or failing that Celadon at the Sukothai.

For burgers 25 degrees at the Pullman.

Take a look at Thailand Tatlers online restaurant guide, my views and theirs tend to align pretty well.
Super stuff, many thanks Land-of miles...this is just what I'm looking for and appreciated.

Weird how you can know some parts of the world like the back of your hand and yet still there are areas were I know nothing at all...is always useful hear this sort of feedback to save a. wasted time b. wasted money and c. days in bed with the blinds down!

Going to take a read and will be trying these options for sure. Cheers
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:58 am

The restaurant Paste on the 3rd floor of the Gaysorn shopping center is just a 1 minute walk away from the IC. Not really cheap, but really good food, service, location and soomething, you don't get everywhere.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by thbe
The restaurant Paste on the 3rd floor of the Gaysorn shopping center is just a 1 minute walk away from the IC. Not really cheap, but really good food, service, location and soomething, you don't get everywhere.
Again super advice thbe....not so worried about cost but experience. Will definitely be giving that a visit
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
IC Bangkok Corporate Rate Increases

Seems IC Bangkok is upping all their best Corporate "fixed" room rates. I had been waiting for corp rate I use to be relisted, as dissaapears 31st Dec and only reappears towards end of Jan (early Feb), unlike other companies. I even had lounge staff ask me to use another corp code as mine not available early jan

With the poorer lounge food offerings started 18months ago, and further worsened since Mar2016, this rate increase may be final straw for me, since for 2017 I will also have HH-Diamond, MR-Gold so for a Club room, I can also opt for JW Marriott and Conrad hotels

Only as an RA is IC Bangkok a draw these days anyway, though IC BKK Corner Suite via +2cat upgrade will remain my cheapest Suite option in Bangkok when I might want a suite, although if I want a suite I usually try for my preferred Suite in Bangkok, the Conrad terrace Suite via 4000Bt++ Nor1 option

Any way for base room Grand Deluxe at IC Bangkok (historically cheapest 3x Corp rates, did not review others)
==========================================
IBM (increases): over years 3300->3500->3600 (2016) AND ... Now 2017 = 4200++
SIEMENS :- 2016 = 3900++ (incl breakfast hence extra 300bt) AND ... Now 2017 = 4600 (inc b/f hence extra 400bt)
GOOGLE :- 2016 = 4200 (2017 = Unchanged so far)

nb
IBM rate 6500++ 2016 rate for Club Room removed (annoying for non-RAs I guess)
IBM rate 4800++ 2016 rate for Grande Exec increased by same to 5400++ (OK for RA's as +2cat is corner suite)

The new corporate rates are now uncompetitive by IC Bangkok
================================================
eg
4200++ Intercontinental :- 2016 = 3600++, 2017 = 4200++
3350++ Conrad :- 2016 = 3300++ 2017 = 3350++
3300++ Hilton Millenium (New 2017 rates, was costlier than DTree in 2016)
3300++ Hilton Sukhumvit (New 2017 rates, was costlier > 4k DTree 2016)
4050++ Doubletree (same rate as 2016, not renegotiated... nb HP is 2700++ !)
3600++ JW Marriott :- 2016 = 3600++ , 2017 = 3600++
3500++ Rennaisance :- 2016 = 3500++ , 2017 = 3500++
2300++ Courtyard Bangkok :- 2016 = 2300++ , 2017 = 2300++
3900++ Grand Hyatt Erawan :- 2016 = 3900++ , 2017 = 3900++

Last edited by scubaccr; Jan 21, 2017 at 9:03 pm
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: IC Gold Ambassador
I'm bottom rung AMB and booked Club Corner Suite using advance purchase rate. I received an email from IC BKK that reads:

Greetings from InterContinental Bangkok.

Thank you very much for your up-coming reservation on 00 - 00 Month 2017. As our valued Ambassador member, you are entitled to a one step upgrade (subject to availability) which would be from Club Corner Suite to Premier Suite. However, we regret to inform to you that our Big Suite are no longer available as per new policy.

We would like to ask if you would be comfortable to stay in Club Corner Suite, so we could offer a special discount room rate of THB 9,256.19++ We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your kind understanding.

The rate they have quoted is the Advance Purchase rate for the non-Club Corner Suite (i.e. King Bed Corner Suite). Aren't they meant to be offering me King Club InterContinental rate for which I get an AMB upgrade to the Club Corner Suite?

Last edited by SMS69; Jan 31, 2017 at 1:11 am
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:06 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Non club suite is one down from club suite Cat wise so looks OK, although at those rates I would be looking elsewhere.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: IC Gold Ambassador
Thanks for the clarification. FYI: Upsell for bottom-rung AMB to access lounge after purchasing non-lounge room (Grande Deluxe mentioned) is currently THB 1,700++.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Looking at the latest rates and upgrade policy, I agree with scubaccr that the IC is pricing itself out of the market. Not sure what gives them this confidence, but if they can charge it and fill the place I guess all the power to them.

Our corporate rates are lower now pretty much anywhere else, at the Conrad, Hilton, SGS, JW Marriott and even Hyatt. A few Baht more and we can get the St. Regis. I'll still stay if needed for a promo target or so, but otherwise there are too many better priced alternatives for what at is an average offering and service at the IC these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.