Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Chicago O'Hare Master Thread [merged] - left IHG (now Loews)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: Spire Amb, Hilton Diamond
Agree with the other posters that this hotel is really nice - got upgraded to a suite and it was huuuge. However, really slow shuttle - waited 40 minutes for the shuttle when we had a late flight into ORD (after midnight) even though we had advised the hotel that we would be there.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
It really is a great airport hotel. And they treat those with status really great, too ^^
+1^
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I got the hotel shuttle to the hotel - the bus was very luxurious compared to other hotel buses and the driver was super friendly. It was a 10 min ride to the hotel and was very painless.

Overall Impression - A bit like a posh Ikea hotel......! I had heard great things about this hotel but although the room was very large, it lacked any sort of personality. A real airport hotel. I must admit I was just a little disappointed after all the great reviews. Nothing I could say was bad at all just not what I expected from an Intercontinental. I was upgraded to a King bed Junior Suite which was very nice but the view was awful - just a view of the air conditioning ducts and a roof. The bathroom was outstanding and had the biggest shower I have ever seen. The rain shower was great but I would like to see better hairdryers - the one in the room looked and sounded good but I may as well have just stuck my head out the window as I think it would have been quicker to dry my hair that way!

The toiletries were Aguaria toiletries - I like the smell but they do not seem as luxurious as the Elemis ones I have had elsewhere. The soap was very nice and I don't normally like soap.

I could hear a bit of airport noise but nothing too bad.

Fresco 21

I ate at the new restaurant in the hotel and I sat having a couple of glasses of wine prior to dinning. The atmosphere was fine - typical hotel bar - and they had a good selection of wines. The menu looked tasty - it was a Tapas style menu. I ordered the house side salad and the greek meatballs with flatbread and tzatziki. Both were delicious and enough for me, despite the waitress try to encourage me to eat more! However their cutlery left a lot to be desired - the fork was 'top heavy' and looked like something a baby would use. It was so unevenly heavy that it kept falling off my pate and was very irritating! The food is good and the staff are friendly so I would recommend this place if you don't want to to leave the hotel!

I was given free breakfast with my rate and this was in the Fresco 21 restaurant - finishing at 1030. My chit was for the continental breakfast and it also included the tax and gratuity - sometimes free breakfasts are not totally free!! I had some fruit and a yogurt plus a lovely glass of orange juice. If you wanted to pay for hot stuff there was about 6 different items available.

Overall this was a nice hotel with very friendly staff.

aks120
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I just posted a mini review in the Hotel Stay Forum. It was a nice hotel that lacked a little in atmosphere but I would come back.

aks120
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:46 pm

Relevant part of the trip report here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20614989-post5.html

Regards

aks120

Last edited by aks120; Jul 7, 2013 at 5:52 pm
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
I stayed at the InterContinental O'Hare recently and had a lovely upgrade to one of the junior suites. Yes, it is an airport hotel -- but IMO it is a far better airport hotel than many others in the vicinity. (I'm a Hyatt loyalist, but I'll be the first to admit that I've had horrid stays at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare and will never return.)

Staff at the IC were accommodating and quite gracious. Everyone I encountered was professional but also seemed genuinely friendly. Public areas in the hotel were sleek yet inviting. It would have been wonderful to have my stay coincide with a live musical performance at the Montrose Room. There are monthly shows, and Peter White, Mindi Abair, & Rick Braun are playing the venue on 12/1/13.

In the large junior suite the bedding, soft-goods and furnishings were all in excellent shape. There was a well-stocked mini-bar, along with a Keurig coffee maker for the morning hit of caffeine. My suite had ample storage space -- not counting the walk-in closet. More importantly, electric outlets were plentiful and well-positioned.

The bathroom was large and beautiful. Unfortunately the design seemed to emphasize form over function, particularly with the sink and almost non-existent counter space. Lighting was also a problem for make-up application despite the sleek unlighted second make-up mirror. I do enjoy rainfall showers but prefer to have the option of a second hand-held sprayer for the days when I don't want to wash my hair. (Disclaimer: My bathroom preferences are probably different from those of male travelers.)

Fresco 21, a tapas-style eatery, is at least 3 steps up from the majority of airport hotel restaurants. I applaud their efforts to move away from the tried-and-true - but oh so tired - traditional offerings found on most hotel menus. One of the specials the night I dined knocked it out of the park -- duck confit on a crisped polenta cake, topped with fried egg. I would have ordered a second but it was so popular that it quickly sold out. They should make it a regular offering and also consider adding it as a "twist on eggs Benedict" brunch item.

If time would have allowed, I could have spent many more hours enjoying the world class art that is on display in the gallery and throughout the hotel.

If you have a bit of time to shop before your next flight, the hotel is located to take prime advantage of the Fashion Outlets of Chicago complex that opened in early August. I'd go back again to stock up on Godiva Chocolates and fab finds at the Chico's store in the mall.

Come to think of it, I had such an enjoyable time at the IC-ORD that I might deliberately plan a layover there the next time I travel through Chicago.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:05 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
[...]the hotel is located to take prime advantage of the Fashion Outlets of Chicago complex that opened in early August.
So that's what the construction site we saw in May has turned into... Thanks for the update and for adding your review!

Was your upgrade random or do you have IHG status that's not listed in your profile?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by IMH
So that's what the construction site we saw in May has turned into... Thanks for the update and for adding your review!

Was your upgrade random or do you have IHG status that's not listed in your profile?
The outlet mall is so handy to the hotel that I could see people staying at the IC just for a shopping trip.

I'm Gold Ambassador with InterContinental but haven't added it to my profile. Be default, most of my stays are Hyatt, SPG and on occasion Hilton, simply because those hotels are more likely to be located in places I travel. But when an IC Hotel is near where I need to be, I'll stay there in a heartbeat. Terrific hotels.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:30 pm

I've stayed in IC Chicago ORD twice already. I'm actually here right now, its my third and last week (yey!). The outlet mall was a nice surprise. I didn't know it was going to be so close. There's a restaurant in the outlet mall that I really love, its called Prasino. They make awesome sushi.

Anyway, for a short review of the hotel. Its nice, clean and modern. I find the rooms a bit dark though. It was also odd to find a wooden seat/lounge inside the restroom. The staff are very helpful, they'll try to set up everything for you and grant your requests. My favorite areas in the hotel are the art displays which almost looks like a museum and the top most floor of the carpark. I spent some time watching planes and looking at the view.

Fresco21 made excellent thin crust pizzas. So anyone thinking of staying here should try them
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by catharsis
Intercontinental Chicago O'Hare

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
so-so

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked standard room, received Executive Suite

How are the rooms?
The suite was nice, with a large bathroom, a small guest bathroom in the living area and a clearly-separate living area.

How is the exec. lounge?
None.

No breakfast voucher or drinks vouchers were offered. On my first morning I was unable to be in the hotel at breakfast time in any case. On the second morning of my stay I queried the RA treatment and was told that no breakfast would be offered.

What was your welcome gift?
A fruit plate and Fiji water was in the room upon my arrival. There was no evidence of any other welcome gift.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes, although it was not refreshed daily.

What was good and what was bad?
Room was lovely, hotel still feels new, and there was a nice collection of Art on the walls of the lobby and connecting corridors.

Bad
No Bathrobe in Room, requested it upon arrival and again the next day at reception but it had not arrived by the time I checked out.

I had a package delivered to the hotel and was charged a fairly substantial amount for the service of it being signed for and brought to my room.

Personal bugbear of mine - No Red wine in the minibar

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?

I was using a BOGO cert and was a bit irritated to see that the BOGO rate was about 50% higher than the corp rate or even the BFR.

Would you return?
Physical plant is nicer than the competing surrounding hotels but even using a BOGO I was paying more per night than would have been required for competing hotels locally.
A few comments for catharsis,

The IC ORD isn't one of my favorite ICs, but it gets the job done for me. Usually rates are decent enough that I don't bother with BOGOs.

Last time I was there, I had asked housekeeping to come up to refresh my room at around 5pm while I was out for dinner. At 9:30pm, still nothing. Called back down, and two people were sent up immediately to do it, and I received a sincere apology, both from the person that answered the phone (that person also called me back to see if it was done), and from the housekeeping staff that came up. At an IC level hotel, if I have to ask for something twice, I'd be annoyed but placated with an apology. If I have to ask more than that, I'd be severely annoyed.

I've had to struggle to get breakfast vouchers there. Sometimes the check in agent will give them to me when I ask. Last time she refused, I requested a supervisor, she went in the back to speak to someone, and when she came out she begrudgingly gave me the vouchers and said "they normally don't do this anymore". I've never been proactively offered them.

Minibar is always a disappointment there.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Dec 14, 2013 at 6:09 am Reason: MOved from RA Experience Thread to IC ORD Master Thread and added reference
Old Dec 14, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
A few comments for catharsis,

At an IC level hotel, if I have to ask for something twice, I'd be annoyed but placated with an apology. If I have to ask more than that, I'd be severely annoyed.
In the interest of fairness this was a review in the RA experiences thread- and as we all know RA's are an overprivileged bunch with very high standards

I'd echo your feelings about the expectation levels - I hold IC's Ritz Carlton's etc to a higher standard than that I might place on a 'lower standard' hotel.

I'd also note that I did contact someone from the hotel about a miscalculation on the folio and the service recovery on that issue exceeded my expectations and did give a very good impression of Management.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Looks like this hotel has been sold and will soon be rebranding to Loews

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...Doing_it_Twice
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Ohh bummer. Location of this IC was top. Would have been a natural choice when returning to the Windy City. I know there is a CP nearby so guess that will have to do or an Indigo maybe. Or outside of IHG for a change
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:31 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
That sucks. So basically this is the last month to stay there as a IC?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; IC - Amb
IC O'Hare no longer IHG?

Did anyone else just get the message from IHG that the Intercontinental OHare is no longer an IHG property due to "change in the hotel's status"?
No points, no benefits, no credit for stays. I'll try and paste the full email at the end of my post.
I have a reservation there starting August 6, had booked a suite hoping for the big upgrade...sorely disappointed that this one is leaving as I stayed there a few times a year and enjoyed it.

From the email:
Dear XXX:

As one of our valued IHG Reward Club members, we are writing you regarding your upcoming reservation for the Intercontinental Hotel Chicago – O’Hare, IL. Due to the change in the hotel's status, we wanted to take the time to inform you that the hotel is no longer part of the IHG family. I would like to apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you.

The hotel has assured us they will still be able to honor your reservation as you had originally booked it with IHG. Unfortunately, however, they will be unable to offer IHG Reward Club benefits, points, or credit for the stay. If you have any questions or would like to cancel your reservation, you may contact the hotel directly. The phone number to the hotel is (847) 544-5300.

If you prefer to stay with another IHG property where you can enjoy all the benefits of the IHG Rewards Club program, we invite you to contact our central reservation office at 800-465-4329. Our highly skilled reservation agents will be happy to assist with finding alternate accommodations. Alternatively, you may also visit our website at www.ihg.com.

As an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member, we realize you have many choices when it comes to your travel needs. We greatly appreciate your understanding in this matter and thank you for your patronage. We look forward to the opportunity to host you as our guest at another IHG property in the near future.

Sincerely,

Amy Bradley
Case Manager
Guest Relations
IHG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.