IC Doha The City (Master Thread)

Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
IC Doha The City (Master Thread)

I just completed a stay here, and the thread title speaks for itself.

First, the design of the hotel is just horrible. I can't imagine how so many elements could be so ill-conceived. It amounts to just another building in Qatar with beige marble floors and filthy windows that don't open. The whole color scheme is various shades of beige and brown, similar to the Grand Hyatt (but without the refinements) and minimally original, refreshing, or warm.

The poor design starts when pulling your car in. The auto reception area is really narrow -- with one lane and the area in front of the door only wide enough for one or two cars, with little area for vehicle staging, and the turn is so sharp coming out, it's difficult to avoid the tire going up onto the barrier separating the two opposing lanes. If there is any type of crowd, it will be a disaster.

Then into the lobby. The elevation is attractive enough -- part industrial-style warehouse, part Arabic skyscraper -- and the reception counter is at the back. But the elevators are through a long corridor off of the front, far away from both the reception and the front door of the hotel. (There is a back door with a separate reception desk for the residences on floors 3-26.) Outside the lobby, there is a courtyard with a dingy garden and fountain, with a Japanese-style bridge leading literally nowhere -- from the garden right into the water.

The room design is also head-scratching. The suite has two rooms, with only a faint floor lamp and small desk lamp in the sizeable living room (no overhead lights). The only switch to control the ceiling lights in the bedroom is by the front door -- i.e., the other room. The bathroom has floor-to-ceiling windows, but no sun shades, so when one is sitting on the toilet at 7:00am (please forgive the imagery), the sun shines blindingly into the WC room. The fixtures in the huge shower are modern and attractive, but don't work -- the separate control for the water temperature spins around and around, more than 360 degrees, with no apparent connection to the direction of the temperature and no markings, either. On the plus side, the room has a Nespresso machine and the TV channel selection is pretty good. The modern sofas are an attractive gray (the only non-beige/brown feature in the hotel it seems) and the bed is very comfortable. The sink and other bathroom fixtures are in an attractive, modern design, and the bathroom is well-lit and spacious.

The service is a fiasco. Check-in took forever -- all of the lady's movements in slow-motion -- and she did not recognize my Priority Club or Ambassador status at all. She asked if the number printed on the form was correct; it was (I made the reservation on line), and asked if I could produce my PC card to determine the status. I said that I didn't have it. I guess the back office recognized me, though, because I was given a suite upgrade with a welcome gift and fruit selection (three oranges). I had a welcome letter in the room -- just a generic one, not a Royal Ambassador letter indicating the benefits -- with my first name and last name both misspelled (and they are not complicated names). Of course I don't care about this, but, especially taken with the rest of the experience, it indicates a bizarre inattention to detail.

When I arrived in front of the hotel to park my car upon returning the next day, there was no one in sight. No bellman, no doorman, no valet parker. (It's not like they were preoccupied, either, as there was not a single vehicle or customer there or in the lobby.) It was like an empty movie set. So I had to walk through the lobby to hand my keys to the reception desk agent.

In the morning, once I found a bellman outside, he had to take my parking slip inside; apparently, the keys are stored at the reception desk at the back of the lobby. Then he had to walk back through the lobby and down the corridor to the garage, then drive the car outside the back (residence side) of the hotel, all the way around the block past the neighboring building, then onto the driveway on the front side of the hotel. It took nearly ten minutes, even though I was the only customer present. I was astonished that they couldn't up with a more user-friendly layout.

The service missed many small details. They didn't replenish the bottled water in the room (two small bottles) after the first day. I only received a newspaper one out of four days. When I asked the coffee counter in the lobby for a coffee to-go, they finally produced paper cups (after a several-minute wait while they ran somewhere else in the hotel to get them) but said that they had no lids. And the biggest abomination of all -- there was no alcohol in the minibar. (The other InterContinental in Doha did away with all alcohol a couple of years ago, then later returned only beer and wine, explaining both times that it was due to "government regulations." I don't believe this, however, as many other hotels in Doha have liquor in their minibars.)

I ate one breakfast and one dinner at the buffet, plus had a drink in the lounge. These were decent; nothing special, but acceptable. The lounge has some unique items on the snack and cocktail menus, including an Arabian Martini with date syrup and a date as garnish -- a nice little touch, the likes of which you don't see much in Qatar.

Overall, the staff just seem to be sleepwalking. This is fairly common in Qatar (for another example, see "Grand Hyatt" or "Qatar Airways"), but I would expect more energy from the start-up team. I can forgive some glitches during the soft opening, but, for a management company like InterContinental, I would expect them to have a much more organized program. As of now, this property has none of the deftness, competence, or international feel that I would expect at a new IC. It feels more like a sterile, unbranded local hotel that is just going through the motions.

The last straw was when I stopped by the front desk on the morning of my last day and asked if I could make a reservation at the same rate for a few days later, and the agent said, sure, please let me take your contact information down and someone will call you. No one ever did.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mecabq
First, the design of the hotel is just horrible. I can't imagine how so many elements could be so ill-conceived. It amounts to just another building in Qatar with beige marble floors and filthy windows that don't open. The whole color scheme is various shades of beige and brown, similar to the Grand Hyatt (but without the refinements) and minimally original, refreshing, or warm.
Looking at hotel's pictures, the design seems rather elegant.

Concerning the windows that cannot be opened, isn't it the usual standard in a region where outside temperature can reach 42 Celsius.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Looking at hotel's pictures, the design seems rather elegant.

Concerning the windows that cannot be opened, isn't it the usual standard in a region where outside temperature can reach 42 Celsius.
Yeah, it is (which is why I called it "just another building" in Doha), though this hardly universal and I think it's a big mistake given that the weather is nice for half the year. Among other four/five-star hotels in Doha that I can think of off of the top of my head, windows at the W, Ramada, Courtyard, Oryx Rotana, and Renaissance don't open; at the Four Seasons, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Sharq Village, Hyatt, and Sheraton, they do, as well as the other IC. (Some of the latter group have terraces, but not all.)

Last edited by mecabq; Dec 17, 2012 at 3:28 pm
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:49 pm
Company Representative - InterContinental Hotels

Programs: IHG Rewards Club
Dear mecabq,

We have noticed your post about our new IC Doha hotel. I am sorry to hear
you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like to discuss this matter further with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to get more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you and of being of further assistance.

Thank you
Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:44 am

They solved many problems. Staff is attentive. Housekeeping is still a little problem. In general the hotel is ok.

Here some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...doha-the-city/

Last edited by youhavebeenupgraded; Mar 15, 2014 at 5:50 am
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Be sure to skip the skylevel restaurant too. We dined there in June (just after it opened or was revamped) and the food was blah and grossly overpriced. A nice place for a drink with nice views but definitely dine elsewhere.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:01 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Sadly, not much has changed since OP's post.

The hotel is beautiful but as OP notes, it is not functional. I call this style over substance.

Had a lot of work to do last night but could not because I had no lighting in the room with the desk.

Air conditioner is so loud it sounds like an emergency alarm. The only option if you want to sleep is to turn it off. Long sweaty night.

So the two things I needed to do sleep and work I could not do.

The spot for your bag is near the front door and very incovenient, no way to get organized. The placement of the light switches is confusing and makes zero sense.

Food marginal at best at high prices. Messed up my dinner order but I ate it anyway because I did not want to wait any longer. Breakfast buffet very expensive, not very good, and poor service.

Business center closed but no way to know since there is no sign ID'ing the BC or hours posted.

Staff tries but clearly no management of this property.

By the way, the staff says they are still on soft opening (one year?)

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Apr 26, 2013 at 2:12 am
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: KLM Gold/MS Elite/LH FTL/HH Gold/Accor PLAT/IHG Plat Ambassador/CC Gold
IC doha city

Could not find anything about it.
Beeing AMB and booked Club Exec. Room... Do I recieve Club suite or maybe a better suite?
How is club?
Possible to recieve breakfast also in the lounge?
IC Doha City seems to be in the center I hope...
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: IHG Spire RA
I guess u will be offer executive suite which the next category, however the hotel very generous in upgrade "personal experience" and you may ask for Diplomatic ste.
The location is good "Financial district" about 10 min drive from city centre.
No idea about the lounge.
* the other IC better choice if interested in resort/beach style.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: RA
I hope you will receved the suit

the hotel is huge and nice

the club got breakfast

you can see my report

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ntinental.html
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I have given a very poor report to this hotel based on multiple stays. They have a new Asian restaurant that is no good, though the buffet is among the best in Doha.

However, they have always given me club access, as well as a suite, as RA. Note that there is no alcohol in the minibars.

As for the location, it depends what you mean by city center. It's in the financial center/downtown, across the street from the City Center Mall, so I would consider it in the city center, although not the old city center (Msheireb) that I assume Voucher is referring to.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: Royal Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Intercontinental Doha The City

Recent Experiences in this Hotel?

Last edited by Kubi; Aug 13, 2015 at 11:13 pm
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: IHG Spire RA
Lightbulb Nice hotel in Westbay area

This was +1 year ago, booked a standard and received diplomatic suite (maybe x6 upgrade). Few weeks later requested "Grand suite" which is x2 higher than diplomatic and been given that but had to cancel the booking.
Nice business hotel, never seen the club lounge, beautiful view from gym over the city, easy access to the city, close to 2 shopping mall.

The other IC in Doha is more suitable for leisure trips (resort type).
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Any more recent experiences at this hotel? Trying to decide between IC The City and the IC on the beach for a 36-hour stopover, my first visit to Doha. Interested in particular in comments on the IC Club.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat, EK Gold
I never liked the Club at IC Doha

it looks like a retirement home setting with some matron-like Filipino ladies managing the place

only had breakfast at IC City on previous occasion but liked it much more

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.