Search

IC Berchtesgaden Master Thread [now a Kempinski]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 3:14 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by dreamytraveller
we are looking to stay here for a ski trip in Jan. I think the nearest slope is Jenner and i have heard there is a bus. Does anyone know how far the slope is (10 mins/30mins etc) on the bus and also how regularly the buses go.

On another note, the restaurant has a michellin star, how have people found the food and price of the food here?

We cant wait for our stay
Maybe we can go ski together. Just inform me, when you are there.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: Amex Cent, PC Royal Amb, Hertz Pres C, *A Gold, *Wood Gold, Hilton Gold, BA, KLM, Marriott,
I have stayed at this hotel a few times and every time they get the bill very wrong, I suspect a lot of people don't check it. (Ours was several hundred Euros over)

When we stayed over Christmas we skied in Obertauern which was quite fun and a reasonable sized resort (but definitely not big) but didn't have any particularly challenging skiing. (I was with my wife so I don't know what off-piste there is).

I seem to remember it was about 1.5 hours drive from the hotel but we started early. The hotel also hires skis and boots if you need them, they aren't particularly cheap (nor expensive) but it's much more convenient to rent them the night before you go.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Phillip
Old Jul 19, 2008, 4:11 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pantster
I have stayed at this hotel a few times and every time they get the bill very wrong, I suspect a lot of people don't check it. (Ours was several hundred Euros over)

When we stayed over Christmas we skied in Obertauern which was quite fun and a reasonable sized resort (but definitely not big) but didn't have any particularly challenging skiing. (I was with my wife so I don't know what off-piste there is).

I seem to remember it was about 1.5 hours drive from the hotel but we started early. The hotel also hires skis and boots if you need them, they aren't particularly cheap (nor expensive) but it's much more convenient to rent them the night before you go.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Phillip

Obertauern is a nice Ski-Area and it is 1,5 hours drive from the hotel. Normally you can rent ski at the Intersport shops cheaper than in the hotel.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Blue/IC Royal Ambassador/LeadinghotelsRegular
hi, thanks for the info, so no skiing on the doorstep then? (or nearby, 1.5 hrsa is a drive!)
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:39 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dreamytraveller
hi, thanks for the info, so no skiing on the doorstep then? (or nearby, 1.5 hrsa is a drive!)
You can go for skiing to Jenner (30 minutes drive by car), Dürnberg (30 minutes drive) or Götschen (40 minutes drive). If you really want to have a big ski area, then you have to come to Austria.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I had a stay the last weekend. Perfect hotel, wonderful upgrade to a wonderful Penthouse Suite on a BOGO stay. Actually nothing to complain.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
IC Berchtesgaden - How would you play this?

Hi there. I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on what I shoudl do for an upcoming stay at this property. I'm just an Ambassador.

Currently I have two nights (11/29-12/1) booked for an Executive Studio Fireplace room (inc. breakfast) for 308 euros per night. I was going to pay for one night and use the BOGO for the other. Below shows the current rates:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best Flexible Rate w Breakfast

PACKAGE OFFER - Combine accommodations with additional products and services 248,00 € EUR
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED STANDARD DELUXE ROOM
Extra Person Charge: 45,00 € EUR per extra Adult starting with the 2nd adult. More Info

298,00 € EUR
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED EXECUTIVE STUDIO
Extra Person Charge: 45,00 € EUR per extra Adult starting with the 2nd adult. More Info

308,00 € EUR
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED EXECUTIVE STUDIO FIREPLACE

458,00 € EUR
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED PANORAMA SUITE

678,00 € EUR
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED PENTHOUSE SUITE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think if I keep my booking for the Executive Studio w/fireplace, that we will get upgraded to the Panorama Suite? I know it's hard to say, but I'm curious what your opinions are. Also, since I am Amb, would I be getting free breakfast anyway, if so, then I can save 20 euros by doing the same room sans breakfast.

My other question is, I saw that there is a special Ambassador promo going on right now where you stay 3 nights and get one night free. So four nights for the price of 3. I was wondering if I could use my BOGO in conjunction with this, so I would pay for 2 nights and receive 2 nights free?

On the other hand, 4 nights might be too long of a stay at this property, as I hear it's rather remote.

Thanks!
Jennifer
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:54 am

One more Q - will I still have to pay the 45 euro per night for my husband, or, as Ambassador, is that waived? I have read that this property tacks on a lot of add'l charges and you really have to watch your bill there, so I want to be prepared beforehand.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
I'm not actually a big fan of that hotel, however, still can give a quick reply:

- You won't be given free breakfast as Amb or RA. This is not a benefit, and IC Berchtesgaden is the last hotel to give you something for free.

- The 45 Euro won't be waived. This 2nd person charge is only waived for Royal Ambassadors.

- I don't know if they upgrade Amb to suites at all. It might be good to contact them in advance. If they don't, you'd just need to book a standard room, as you'll get an executive anyway.

- I also don't know if it's legit to combine a BOGO with the 4th night offer... Maybe call them.

- My advice: If front desk staff is impolite or unwilling to help, ask immediatly for the front office manager or escalate to ambassador service center.

Regards,
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:04 am

Thanks for the info. May I ask why you're not crazy about that property?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by blase
Thanks for the info. May I ask why you're not crazy about that property?
- I posted a RA experience that was not just that great.
- RA, if they book standard rooms, might get the same upgrade than regular AMB
- Had quite some issues with snotty front desk staff.
- Minibars don't have alcohol ... (worst part )
- Rates unter 250 Euro qualify as, well, non-qualifying stay, you need to contact AMB services to sort that out (they always then do make it a qualifying stay, but they hotel keeps sticking to that policy)
- Dining options could be better...

It's a nice hotel and you will enjoy your stay, I am sure about that. I don't want to louse up your anticipation. Many RA hat great stays there: SZG always posts great RA experiences.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
- I posted a RA experience that was not just that great.
- RA, if they book standard rooms, might get the same upgrade than regular AMB
- Had quite some issues with snotty front desk staff.
- Minibars don't have alcohol ... (worst part )
- Rates unter 250 Euro qualify as, well, non-qualifying stay, you need to contact AMB services to sort that out (they always then do make it a qualifying stay, but they hotel keeps sticking to that policy)
- Dining options could be better...

It's a nice hotel and you will enjoy your stay, I am sure about that. I don't want to louse up your anticipation. Many RA hat great stays there: SZG always posts great RA experiences.
Thanks, I appreciate the further detail. I clicked on your posts to see if I could find where you'd already said what was wrong with it, but had to scroll a few pages back and didn't see anything. I wish there were a search function where you could search for a specific word from one particular author's posts.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by blase
Thanks, I appreciate the further detail. I clicked on your posts to see if I could find where you'd already said what was wrong with it, but had to scroll a few pages back and didn't see anything. I wish there were a search function where you could search for a specific word from one particular author's posts.
Here you go. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=#post10155037

But, please, I am sure that you will have a nice stay at this hotel. I probably got the "worst case scenario"...
Old Oct 15, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: LH M&M SEN *G, Priority Club Plat. RA
Hello

Well, I liked the hotel, got a good upgrade and was very pleased. Four nights are bit too much, thats true. Spa treatment rates are high too.

Just digged out the Ambassador brochure and it states that single rate for double occupancy is given for Ambassadors. You should see that in your current best flex reservation. The extra charge dissapears once one confirms the reservation.

As RA, I booked the cheapest rate (233€ AP) and got upgraded to the ponorama suite.

Wish you a very nice stay

Cheers
aquaguy
Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by aquaguy
Hello

Well, I liked the hotel, got a good upgrade and was very pleased. Four nights are bit too much, thats true. Spa treatment rates are high too.

Just digged out the Ambassador brochure and it states that single rate for double occupancy is given for Ambassadors. You should see that in your current best flex reservation. The extra charge dissapears once one confirms the reservation.

As RA, I booked the cheapest rate (233€ AP) and got upgraded to the ponorama suite.

Wish you a very nice stay

Cheers
aquaguy
Thanks! I am sure we will like this hotel, and but I agree, two nights is plenty.

The Advance Payment rate is 179euros for a King Standard room; now I'm thinking that I might take that and just chance that I get an upgrade to the room I currently have (since it's "one level up") But I'm afraid to use the AP rate along with the BOGO in case there are any problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.