Wiki Posts
Search

IC Berchtesgaden Master Thread [now a Kempinski]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt DIA, IHG PLT AMB, TK Elite Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Hello from Beautiful Berchtesgaden.

This property leaves the brand at the end of March. It is still one of my favourite hotels in the world, mostly due to its location, however there've been some niggling issues compared previous stays:

- No Ambassador upgrade. Though to be fair, the property is actually sold out this weekend.
- No Ambassador welcome gift - just the fruit. Previous stays have been a little chocolate/cake selection plate.
- No more English-language newspaper - only German. Previous stays I have at least had a choice of the International New York Times or Financial Times.
- 4.50Eur room service tray charge (previously there was none).

Very very sad to see this leave the brand.
True Story! But the AMB treatment is bad.

I have been there two times...
First time on christmas special rate... got an upgrade to panorama

second time... booked panorama executive with Bogo as Platinum Ambassador..

Arrived there and got what I paid for... Hotel was kindda booked but still sold suites and Penthouse...

So after I found this out I went to the Manager Cocktail to ask... First the GM was surprised about my complaint...
So he went to his office and he came back telling me that because I am staying with a BOGO I dont have the right to get an upgrade...

But because I am "boring" I told him to please show me this new rule or connecting me with someone of IHG HQ.
As I didnt have on my voucher nor I ever saw in the internet I was curious.

So GM Mr. C walked away to his office... Then he showed up with a young Lady who should assist me with the room change as they just figured out they blocked a Penthouse Suite for Show Reason

Obivously... I have the feeling that Mr. C, the GM tried to play dumb with me because I am young... (I am 24 but I can pay this kind of hotel... I dress nicely... drive a nice car etc)

Anyway.. the hotel is great... the location too...
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Some photos of the Presidential Suite from a recent stay. I really will be rather sad to see this leave the brand.

Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:58 pm

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Does anybody know if they offer any half board addons in cash for a rate booked on points?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
Does anybody know if they offer any half board addons in cash for a rate booked on points?
Not publicly, but you could always email and ask.

Breakfast should be 40Eur for two, evening meal will be quite pricey so don't expect a wonder deal there.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: IC Ambassador, IHG Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Miles & More FT
I've tried to book weekend points several times - using laptop, smartphone and tablet but couldn't. Also availability calendar showed that Saturdays in March were not available. But, suprising when used desktop version on my tablet I was able to book stay for next Saturday! I think that 35.000 points for this hotel is on of the best value for points in Europe. I'm not happy that such property is leaving IC brand, although honestly there was a lack of good management (good for hotel, bad for us).
At least I will use this last chance to say good by!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
Not publicly, but you could always email and ask.

Breakfast should be 40Eur for two, evening meal will be quite pricey so don't expect a wonder deal there.
Breakfast buffet is 29eur per person, however you can also order certain items for a given amount.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by PhilHugi

So GM Mr. C walked away to his office... Then he showed up with a young Lady who should assist me with the room change as they just figured out they blocked a Penthouse Suite for Show Reason

Obivously... I have the feeling that Mr. C, the GM tried to play dumb with me because I am young... (I am 24 but I can pay this kind of hotel... I dress nicely... drive a nice car etc)

Anyway.. the hotel is great... the location too...
But Mr. C. wasn't there this Chrismas. He had already left on December 20 to stay with his parents. And they were solidly booked. I had two of the penthouses, others were used for other well known returning guests. We staid there for a week over Christmas and liked it as we always do, have done and did.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: IHG
Will be here this weekend for a final trip. Looking forward to it!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:11 pm

WOW! What a hotel! Just checked out today after a four day stay. The hotel is amazing:
- Amazing location. On a mountain, but with very easy access to Berchtesgaden and Salzburg
- Perfectly decorated hotel. Very nice furnishings. Very modern without being obnoxious.
- Very nice and helpful staff. Very accommodating.
- Very decent prices for Dining and Spa
- Spa is wonderful. Amazing indoor and outdoor pools. 3 Saunas. Relaxing room. Tanning Room. So much more.
- Used hotel parking the first day, but free parking is offered a 4 minute walk down the hill.

Overall, it was a great stay in an absolutely wonderful hotel.

I spoke to the head concierge about the transition to Kempinski and got the following information. The hotel opened in 2005. The 10 year contract with IHG is up, and instead of renewing they will switch to Kempinski. They are shutting down as Intercontinental on April 8th. They will close for three weeks as they go through "brain washing", training, re-branding, and some minor upgrading. May 1st is the Grand Opening as Kempinski. The staff is all paid by the owner of the hotel, a German Bank. The General Manager is hired by IHG, themselves. In this case, the General Manager will be switched, while the remaining staff remains the same. The staff I talked to were excited, but didn't not know any more information than what's above.

I checked rates for Grand Opening Weekend, and the rates start at around 180 Euro per night, not bad at all.

Originally I thought this hotel is only attainable with points, but if the rates stay like this, I will definitely try to come back.

Overall though, you will love this hotel.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:01 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Yes, this hotel is lovely! I stayed here last July for 4 nights. Do you know if they will still have the complimentary mini bar???
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by mav
Yes, this hotel is lovely! I stayed here last July for 4 nights. Do you know if they will still have the complimentary mini bar???
Yep, they still do. Refreshed every day. Hopefully it stays this way under the Kempinski name.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:09 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Originally Posted by isaifan
Yep, they still do. Refreshed every day. Hopefully it stays this way under the Kempinski name.
I think I'll call over there about mid April and ask. We go to Berchtesgaden every summer for about 4 nights, then to Zell am See, Austria for 7-to 9 nights {Grand Hotel NICE! }, then back to Bavaria { Ettal, Hohenschwangau, etc. } I CAN"T WAIT!!!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:14 am
B42

Programs: IC,KLM,Marriott,LHW,HHonors
Originally Posted by mav
I think I'll call over there about mid April and ask. We go to Berchtesgaden every summer for about 4 nights, then to Zell am See, Austria for 7-to 9 nights {Grand Hotel NICE! }, then back to Bavaria { Ettal, Hohenschwangau, etc. } I CAN"T WAIT!!!
Sounds really nice indeed!

We were persuaded by the staff to try the hotel under the Kempinski flag so we will visit them in May. Luckily not for the current low season price of €548 for a 'Deluxe mountain view' room.
It looks like the minibar will not be complimentary anymore but that was not quite clear the last time we've visited the hotel.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:52 am

Last day to check-in today!

Bye-bye IC Berchtesgaden
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Last day to check-in today!

Bye-bye IC Berchtesgaden
Actually they are open until April 8th.

Will have our last stay in a Penthouse Suite from next Sunday to Tuesday.

And after that bye bye weekend voucher and free Suite upgrades (except if you have status with GHA)

The Penthouse Suite goes for around 1000 Euros per night once they are a Kempinski...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.