Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Rewards Club Elite experiences (Archive Thread 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Rewards Club Elite experiences (Archive Thread 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
CP Edinburgh - the Roxburghe; Charlotte Square

- What is your Priority Club status?

Platinum RA

- Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Delighted

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Had a 2-night stay on points followed by a one night stay. Upgraded to a King Club room with Club access all 3 nights.

- How are the rooms?

Nicely done, above a general CP level, not quite an IC. Hotel was a MacDonald's Properties hotel and recently converted to an IHG, so spruced up.

- How is the exec. lounge?

Excellent for breakfast (full Scottish breakfast, including haggis and Stornoway black pudding), plus cold cuts, cheeses and the usual cold breakfast. For nominal extra charge, smoked kippers, smoked haddock are available from the restaurant.
Evening cocktails/canapés are a bit of a dud. For one, no Scottish beers. In fact no ales. Just lagers: Tiger from Singapore and Peroni from Italy. I guess they want to seem upscale but why not feature one of Scotland's best? Also no liquor. I mean we're in Scotland, famous for whisky! They mention canapés, and it's literally a plate full of 3 small one-bite canapés. Not that I think that a Club lounge should be a substitute for a dinner, but it's nice if you can put some food in yer belly!

- What was good and what was bad?

Good:
Club access for Platinum even with a points stay.
Very helpful. Concierge actually called me 3 days before the stay (calling my US cell) to ask if I had any special requests, and introduce himself. I felt like a VIP upon check-in, almost too obsequious.
Great location; Charlotte Square is at the foot of Rose Street which is a good street for pubs, and it's a 1/2 mile walk up to the Royal Mile (2 ways, from the middle, or from around the Castle).
Very easy to get from the airport on the airport express bus which stops on Princess Street.
And the hotel, as the rest of Charlotte Square and much of the New Town are perfectly-preserved Georgian buildings, UNESCO World Heritage listed.

Bad:
Almost nothing. Would have preferred some Scottish beer and whisky in the Club lounge. If that's the worst of it, then ...

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points?

Very good for the one paid night stay. The other two nights the hotel was nearly booked and rates were very high, hence I used points.

Would you return?

Absolutely. This is one of the best CPs anywhere. I miss the old Edinburgh InterContinental Hotel; this is my new place to be in EDI.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:04 am

ANA Crowne Plaza Fukuoka

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
No.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Two single beds non-smoking superior rooms. I wanted adjoining rooms. Corresponded in advance with the hotel, and was 'cautioned' that it has very limited such rooms, which would be allotted on first come first served. My request was confirmed in advance, and I was given what I requested at check in.

How are the rooms?
Rooms are refurnished but sterile. No Japanese elements in the room whatsoever. Could well be any other business room in any other business city.

How is the exec. lounge?
No idea. IHG platinum status is not recognized in this hotel, might as well not exist at all.

Also I was told by front desk that because I was redeeming points for my stay, I would not be given any upgrade.

After I had checked in, I contacted guest services and inquired what my other platinum benefits were. The person who took my call was baffled I even asked such a question! I requested to be routed to front desk to get a proper answer. Front desk said platinum benefits are water, late checkout and complimentary newspaper. I told him that was pathetic. He asked me, did I not receive water in my room (in a most anticipatory tone as if it was a champagne!) - I said no. Shortly after, someone hurriedly delivered two bottles of hotel branded water to the room. Really? Water as platinum benefit?!

I went to the health club and was shocked that they are charging JPY 1,000 for access to EACH of the gym, sauna and pool! No complimentary access for platinums.

I complained to front desk about lack of complimentary access to health club and several people at front desk, in succession, could only uselessly shake their heads in unison - and affirm that the hotel does not provide such benefit.

I asked for the hotel general manager's email to voice my dissatisfaction. The front desk staff won't allow me to, saying they don't correspond directly with their general manager. Utter rubbish, they're just afraid they'd look bad in front of their most senior boss. At this point, I was clearly irate because I might as well have no status in this hotel, despite having spent close to $50,000 with IHG hotels last year alone.

I asked for the manager on duty to call me back but (s)he never did. Eventually I received a call from someone at front desk saying they had "checked with the manager on duty" and would grant me for my one-night stay complimentary access to the health club (too late, it had already closed for the day) and free breakfasts (no use, as I had an early pre-dawn flight to catch).

But clearly it was a case of not giving any benefit, and nobody bothered to act, unless the guest was irate enough and demanded that they see reason vocally enough.

What was your welcome gift?
None. Unless one seriously considers two measly bottles of water - which is readily provided at other hotels in abundance and replenished daily - as welcome gift!

Did you receive fruit in the room?
No.

What was good and what was bad?

Good:
Walking distance (5 mins) to Hakata station.

Bad:
No recognition for IHG platinum.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
35,000 points per room per night for superior twin. No.

Would you return?
Not in a million years. ANA Crowne Plaza Fukuoka incidentally is the straw that broke my camel's back. I'll just convert my remaining 700,000+ IHG points to miles, and never stay at an IHG hotel again - unless they improve the recognition of platinum members throughout their chain. Most ironic that I gained highest status with IHG, but after that it was IHG that drove me so rapidly to Hyatt!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
There are great properties in IHG and there are properties like what you described that I would never step foot in. I don't think a bad stay here or there warrants leaving the chain all together. Have you had so many poor stays...?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555
There are great properties in IHG and there are properties like what you described that I would never step foot in. I don't think a bad stay here or there warrants leaving the chain all together. Have you had so many poor stays...?
Yes. I have never felt that IHG platinums are made to feel special, oftentimes I do feel like a second rate guest when redeeming points for nights, and their service is very rough round the edges that never fail to cause stress during my stays.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador

Yes, very much

Booked cheapest advance rate, and received a suite on high floor with club access. ^

How are the rooms?
Around 70sqm
Very nicely designed. Wooden floor
Living room with Gae Aulenti's coffee table, Bouroullec's armchair, very nice B&O soundsystem.
Bedroom with very comfortable bed.
Large bathroom with separate walk-in shower and Jacuzzi bathtub. 2 sinks. Excellent Tromborg amenities (great smell).
Large flat TV with massive selection of international channels
Kettle with tea/coffee set. Nespresso machine
Fast wifi
Very quiet

How is the exec. lounge?
Quite large
Very nicely decorated (one part with tables and 2 Apple computers and one printer, one separated part with elegant leather sofas, drinks, food). Pleasant terrace
Good breakfast with good selection of products
Evening selection of canapés and drinks.

Good:
- Nice suite
- Hotel, with elegant/innovative lobby
- Very friendly staff
- Good club lounge
- Free wifi
- Free airport shuttle (five minutes drive). No more on demand but every 30 minutes.
- Free bicycles
- Very easy and fast access to city centre with metro or suburban train

Bad:
- Nothing.

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
Yes, excellent value.
Great staff
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre

Yes

Booked cheapest advance rate room and received a club room on IHG Rewards Club level, with club access.

How are the rooms?
Not huge (less than 30sqm)
Very comfortable bed
Flat screen television set with large selection of channels.
Bathroom with bathtub and separate cubicle shower. Prija amenities (I like the smell). Bathrobe
Very small closet.
View over the city.
Pleasant design
Very quiet.
No iPhone dock.
Kettle.

How is the exec. lounge?
Not huge but pleasant,
Continental breakfast (warm option at the restaurant for GBP 10 more).
Evening canapés and drinks.
Soft drinks, coffee, fruits and biscuits during the day.
Very friendly staff.

Good
- Convenient location (art galleries and trendy bars/restaurant just next to the hotel, department stores and museums at less than 10 minutes walk)
- Very friendly staff
- Recent hotel with pleasant design

Bad
- Nothing

Yes
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Crowne Plaza London - The City

Platinum Royal Ambassador.

Yes

Booked cheapest advance rate, and received a club room on club floor.

How are the rooms?
Around 35 sqm
Elegant design.
Desk with convenient UK and European sockets and multi iPad 4-5 sockets.
Bedroom with comfortable bed.
Flat screen television with large selection of English and international cable channels.
Bathroom with walk-in bathtub. TempleSpa amenties (very good smell). Bathrobe
View over the rear of the buidling (perfectly quiet but poor intimacy during working hours).
Efficient air conditioning.
Bose mini chain

How is the Club Lounge?
Small but pleasant.
Breakfast with eggs, salmon/ham, fruits, pastries, yogurts.
Cookies and fruits during tea time.
PC with printer. Newspapers.
Friendly staff.

GOOD
- Convenient location (close to Tate Modern, easy access by underground, shares bike station very close).
- Pretty fast wifi
- Perfectly clean and quiet

BAD
- Best advance rate I paid was 25% higher than best flexible rate the day of check-in. Hotel proposed me to get a meal at GBP45 (difference of the price), but I did not as I did not intend to have dinner at the hotel.
- Check-in and check-out experience could have been more smiling.

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points?Would you return?
Yes, but I may be not book advance rate next time at this hotel.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: IHG Plat AMB, BA Bronze & QF Silver
Originally Posted by nicolas75

Yes

Booked cheapest advance rate room and received a club room on IHG Rewards Club level, with club access.

How are the rooms?
Not huge (less than 30sqm)
Very comfortable bed
Flat screen television set with large selection of channels.
Bathroom with bathtub and separate cubicle shower. Prija amenities (I like the smell). Bathrobe
Very small closet.
View over the city.
Pleasant design
Very quiet.
No iPhone dock.
Kettle.

How is the exec. lounge?
Not huge but pleasant,
Continental breakfast (warm option at the restaurant for GBP 10 more).
Soft drinks, coffee, fruits and biscuits during the day.
Very friendly staff.

Good
- Convenient location (art galleries and trendy bars/restaurant just next to the hotel, department stores and museums at less than 10 minutes walk)
- Very friendly staff
- Recent hotel with pleasant design

Bad
- Nothing

Yes
That's good to hear - love the Hotel. My favourite in Manchester. I'm also a fan of the Prija bathroom amenities
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by iFlip23
That's good to hear - love the Hotel. My favourite in Manchester. I'm also a fan of the Prija bathroom amenities
That gingery smell?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: IHG Plat AMB, BA Bronze & QF Silver
Originally Posted by mitpat474
That gingery smell?
It's muskier than Ginger. More masculine IMO
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Crowne Plaza Brussels - Le Palace

Yes

Booked best flexible rate, and received an Executive room with botanic garden view.

How are the rooms?
Around 25 sqm
Elegantly design
Comfortable bed.
Small but elegant bathroom with bathtub.
Flat TV with massive selection of international channels
Senseo coffee machine
Fast wifi
Very quiet

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:
- Convenient location, next to Rogier metro station (direct line from Midi train station)
- Very good breakfast

Bad:
- Air conditioning was not working in the room (in the whole hotel actually)

Yes, but air conditioning issue was a real downside.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Hotel Indigo Downtown San Diego

Hotel Indigo San Diego - Gaslamp Quarter

Platinum

Yes.

Booked King (on reward stay), received King View room (on the 8th floor of 12 floor hotel). I was pre-upgraded the day before stay.

How are the rooms?
Nice. Spacious especially the bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
None

Good:
•Good location. Walkable to many bars, restaurants, 1 block to Petco Park, Grocery Outlet grocery store 1 block away, CVS 2 blocks away. LOTS to walk to within a mile, even San Diego bay.
•Modern room. Large bathroom with very large shower only. About 60 popular cable tv channels.
•Very responsive (fast) to service needs; extra towels, coffee, maid service, etc.
•Lobby very clean and modern
•Nice hotel guest only bar on the 9th floor
•Called for a late checkout and was asked what time I'd like. 1 PM immediately approved (11 am is their checkout).

Bad:
•This is a VERY pet friendly hotel. If you don't like dogs, don't stay here. Some guests had as many as 3 very large dogs. At times, dogs could be heard barking in their rooms.
•Valet parking only. Fee is ridiculous ($41). San Diego parking is cheap. On street parking is as low as 50 cents per hour, Monday-Saturday (8 or 10 am to 6 or 8 pm). Sunday & major holidays FREE. There is a self parking garage just 2 1/2 blocks away http://www.parkdowntownsd.com/garage...-it-on-market/ for $1 per hour, max $15 per day, open and staffed 24/7. I parked across the street from the hotel, on the street, free both July 4th and the following Sunday. Otherwise, I parked in the garage above and a few blocks away (East Village area) for 50 cents per hour on the street (even during a San Diego Padres home game). Meters in that area are up to 9 hours and operate from 8 to 6, Monday-Saturday.
•Most staff friendly, some have attitudes. I noticed that from when I told the valet parking guy we'd only be unloading when we checked in. He told me "I'll give you 5 minutes (to check-in) and need to hold on to your key". Some front desk were more interested in chatting with each other than noticing guests needing help. Also, calling down to the front desk most times meant being put on hold...for a long time. I found out it was just better to go down and talk with them in person.
•Beds are ROCK hard. Very firm mattress. Woke up sore every morning.
•No refrigerator or microwave. If this hotel had them plus a better mattress, I'd really like this place.
•Fails white sock test. Dirty laminate floors and the area rug was never vacuumed in our room (or the hallway outside our room) during a 3-night July 4th weekend stay.
•Key cards are a pain in the a** at this hotel. To access your floor from the elevator, you also have to use them. They have to be put in just the right way for the right amount of time or they won't work. They should rework their system.
•Besides being pet friendly, this is also a "party" hotel on weekends. Expect many drunk noisy people during the evening and especially after the bars close at 2 am. But that is Downtown San Diego. You will hear everything in the hall in your room (outside noise, minimal, though).
•No pool

40K points. Not a great value. Probably won't return since it's hard to get a good nights sleep.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalItalian
Hotel Indigo San Diego - Gaslamp Quarter

Bad:
•This is a VERY pet friendly hotel. If you don't like dogs, don't stay here. Some guests had as many as 3 very large dogs. At times, dogs could be heard barking in their rooms.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:31 am

Staybridge Suites Eagan (Mall of America South

Platinum.

Yes.

Booked Queen Studio Suite, received same. Platinum get 500 points or a trail mix and bottle of H2O.

How are the rooms?
Well-appointed room with small sofa, coffee table, large work desk area, full-sized fridge, microwave, two-burner stove, dishwasher and a three-person set of plates/bowls/utensils.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:
+Well-trained, warm staff from reception to housekeeping
+Efficient and pleasant shuttle service
+Cozy lobby/eatery area
+Large, well-designed studio suite, great for long-term stays
+Comfortable bed
+Large LCD plasma TV with 50+ channels (many in HD)
+Oversized bathroom area
+Good shower pressure
+Excellent daily hot/cold breakfast selection; dinner provided Tue-Thu
+Awesome hot jet spa and pool area, perfect temperature
+Nice outdoor patio area

Bad:
-Ice machine in freezer did not work
-Pet friendly hotel, woke up to barking dogs very early and went on for most of the morning (don't owners realize they are waking up an entire floor?)

$140+ summer rate a bit steep for a CS. Awesome value with 5k Pointbreaks; their regular 20k rate is fair.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:36 am

Crowne Plaza Minneapolis Northstar Downtown

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum.

Yes, very much.

Booked King Deluxe. Upgraded to corner King Feature room on 16th floor.

How are the rooms?
Very spacious and bright. Pleasing modern decor. Smartly designed.

How is the exec. lounge?
Loud and busy the only night I could use it (closed on Sundays). Normally has great food options from 5-8pm; was hoarded by a frat bachelor stag party who emptied everything before 6pm.

Good
+Smooth check-in
+Ultra-comfortable beds/pillows
+Stylish room
+Massive LCD TV with great channel selection, mostly in HD
+Comfortable ottoman
+A1 quality Templespa toiletries
+Good shower pressure and heat
+Attractive small bar downstairs with excellent food
+Close to everything, two blocks from light rail, a safe 10-minute walk to Target Field, close to beautiful Nicollet St. with charming shops and patios

Bad
-Lounge overtaken by obnoxious hillbilly frat boys; likely same clowns were pumping loud bass through the floors; staff were professional and accommodating when I explained the situation
-No fridge or microwave in room despite empty cabinets under TV

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Anything under $200 in the summer at this CP is very reasonable. Rates can vary greatly here, and it sells out most nights.

Last edited by stigs; Jul 8, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.