Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Rewards Club Elite experiences (Archive Thread 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Rewards Club Elite experiences (Archive Thread 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:17 am

Holiday Inn Express - Lisbon Airport

- What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum

- Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes - it was okay.

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked 2x standard rooms, received the same. They weren't next to each other despite being booked a couple of months in advance.

Upon checkin there was an offer of a 300 point voucher or a free snack and drink at the bar. This time I took the drink/snack offer - a can of Coke Zero and a cheese roll, which would have cost around €6 to buy.

- How are the rooms?
Modern and reasonably large, albeit smaller than either of the Holiday Inns I've stayed at recently (Reading-West, Lisbon-Continental and Porto-Gaia). Two wall-mounted squeezy tubes of universal hand wash/shower gel/shampoo are provided in the room.

The TV accepts an HDMI input but because a network-connected box is used to generate the TV signal (connected to one of the SCART sockets) you can't switch to an HDMI input. There are no physical controls on the TV and the remote is a custom one with minimal buttons. I was planning to hook my laptop up and watch some Family Guy but I ended up watching a couple of episodes on the laptop itself.

The hotel has a restaurant and provides both a small "a la carte" and fixed menu from 7PM to 10PM.

- What was good and what was bad?
Good:
More features than I'd expected for a HIE - including a bar and restaurant
Excellent position for the airport, one motorway junction away (5 minutes or so by car).

Bad:
Noisy doors and the doors didn't go all the way to the floor - there was a small gap which meant I could hear a group of people outside my door clearly yacking away at half one in the morning. Not exactly relaxing!

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Reasonable value for money. If I was in the area yes, I would return, but I'd probably book the next room up in the hope of escaping noisy neighbours!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Indigo Berlin Ku'damm

Originally Posted by nicolas75
What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest advance rate with breakfast, and was upgraded to a Deluxe room on highfloor facing the garden (I was first upgraded to a room facing the busy road, but I declined it as the windows are poorly soundproofed).

Free drink coupon was offered. Fresh fruits and water in room.

How are the rooms?
Very small (less than 25 sqm)

Smart, elegant contemporary design. Artemide Tolomeo lamps.

Very comfortable bed.

Desk, flat screen television (large choice of cable German channels, but just a few international channels). Wood floor.

Tassimo tea/coffee machine with selection of pods. Very small dressing. Bathrobe and slippers.

Blaupunkt iPhone dock.

Bathroom with Hansgrohe handshower/ rainforest shower head. Aveda cosmetics.

Very efficient heating system. Very quiet (garden view)

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
- Nice staff: very friendly, smiling, helpful.
- Elegant design
- Very good breakfast (not a huge choice, but very good fresh products
- Free wifi (good enough for basic surfing, paid option needed for video)
- Convenient location. Not my favourite district of Berlin, but close to KDw department store and former Western luxury shops. 5 minutes walk to Berliner Zoologischer Garten station (S5 with direct access to Berlin Hauptbanhof, with easy access to Museuminsel)
- Good in-house restaurant (but with very slow service).

Bad:
- Very small rooms
- Street noise in room facing the busy avenue.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Yes, excellent value for the price.
But ask for a room facing the garden.
Thought I would copy this here to facilitate comparison of an RA to a lowly Club member. I agree on all nicolas' experience with difference to:
-no upgrade neither amenities/gifts as Club level member, but I received a corner room (positive from the "special" layout, but I think it was a bit smaller though
-the reception lady was clumsy but young (=inexperienced? =did not feel bad about that after all)
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Holiday Inn Bangkok (971 Ploenchit Road)

Platinum Ambassador

Yes

Booked cash superior room. Upgraded to Club room with breakfast and club access. Late checkout was offered but not needed.

How are the rooms?
Clean, high floor. Same size as that of Superior Room (it seems)

How is the exec. lounge?

Was okay. Managed to go there during late afternoon and they offered drinks and some cookies.

What was your welcome gift?
None

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes

Good:

Very friendly staff, clean room. Had breakfast at the restaurant at the basement - deli, noodles, egg stations and some hot cook thai dishes as well as american breakfast selections.

I had dinner at the Thai restaurant in hotel. Service was excellent and staff were very attentive.

Bad:

Internet connection is a pain. After login to the wifi network for my iPhone, I wasn't able to login to my iPad and laptop. In the end, had to use the Personal Hotspot from my phone instead.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?

Booked the Flexible Rate with breakfast (THB4,400 exclude taxes) for 1 night as I needed it to complete one of the Big Win Tasks. There are cheaper rates with breakfast included. If not, for the Big Win tasks, will not book this rate.

Would you return?

Probably, if I can book the weekend rate which is much cheaper. If not, will prefer to try the IC next door.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Staybridge - Las Vegas

Platinum

Yes - it was okay.

Booked a King studio, which is what I got.

- How are the rooms?

Decent, although I had to move furniture to plug in my tablet while laying in bed; no sockets in the lamps, etc. In a studio there's a decent sized kitchen between the hall door and the bedroom area. Bathtub was huge, like a jet-less Jacuzzi.

Good:
Free shuttle serving airport and strip.
This was my first time with their evening Social Hour, which I found comparable to Homewood's evening reception; from the monthly menu posted, they seem to stick to more popular selections like hamburgers, rather than Asian Stir-Fry and such. Breakfast was good.
Check-in clerk was fine with a late check-out (instead of 11AM).
Internet speed seemed pretty good.

Bad:

Poor hot water: took forever to get hot for an evening bath, and never got above tepid for the next morning's shower.
Refrigerator cycling in room was rather loud.
Had to ask for elite benefits (points/goody bag), not offered at check-in.
No alcohol at Social Hour, nor any for sale at pantry.

I felt I paid more than the room was worth for a studio and hot water issues. However, without a car it was great to have "dinner" included, as well as the expense of airport taxis. Probably a better deal using points than paying cash.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Candlewood Suites - Las Vegas

Platinum

Yes - it was okay.

Booked a queen studio, got a 1BR Queen

- How are the rooms?

Interesting layout in that the kitchenette runs to the right of the front door with a table/counter facing out to the living room. I found it easier to dine there and watch TV, than try to use the living room couch and coffee table. The bedroom adjacent was a bit small, but okay; bathroom was fine, no issues.

Good:

Internet connection seemed fine.
Pantry had reasonable prices: you can either pay at desk, or fill out a charge slip on the honor system to be charged to your card later.
They offer free washing machines (you supply soap), which I didn't use.
Property was fairly quiet.

Bad:

Nothing really, although the whole experience has a "generic" (cut-rate) feel to it. Perhaps on a longer stay, where having a kitchen and laundry access matters, that would make more sense?
The heat/AC unit was in the living room, with a small vent on the side going to the bedroom. I got the feeling in really cold, or hot, weather the bedroom wouldn't be as comfortable as the living room.

Not a bad value, although I paid a bit more than I honestly felt the room was worth - that's Vegas timing though, as I see it's available for significantly less "off season". The bus to the airport (108) is diagonally across the street; coming from the airport requires walking a very long block westbound, still $2 is cheaper than what a cab would cost for a 1 mile ride. There's a fantastic Indian restaurant next door as well.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Does anyone have any idea how to find the name and email of a Hotel's GM in order to email him? I would like to see if I could make an upgrade more likely. It's a Holiday Inn Resort property, FWIW.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
-
Bad:

Nothing really, although the whole experience has a "generic" (cut-rate) feel to it. Perhaps on a longer stay, where having a kitchen and laundry access matters, that would make more sense?
Part of my Big Win I stayed at a Candlewood suits and like you I found it very generic, found nothing homey about it at all. I think IHG really needs to reinvent that hotel brand..
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Part of my Big Win I stayed at a Candlewood suits and like you I found it very generic, found nothing homey about it at all. I think IHG really needs to reinvent that hotel brand..
Staybridge = Name brand

Candlewood = Store Brand
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:33 am

HIX Berlin City Centre-West

Club

Yes

Booked cheapest on IHG

How are the rooms?
Clean, high floor. 5 years old hotel, but looks very new. Nice. Small though. Interestingly, there was a sofa which was laid ready with linen even if I was just 1 person in the room.

How is the exec. lounge?
-

Highest floor I think?? As my friend was put on 1st floor ()

No, not expected

Good:

Nice staff, clean room. Had a good breakfast at the restaurant at the first floor.
OK location. I was not disturbed even if on a busy street.

Bad:
Nothing really.

For these prices (68€ I think it was), good value.

Would you return?

Definitely, I could even stay here on vacation.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Staybridge = Name brand

Candlewood = Store Brand

LOL, so true... In my survey I stated I wouldn't stay at any Candlewood hotels again because of the lack of identity, it was so generic looking. I did get a response back from someone thanking me for my honest opinion.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Holiday Inn Express Stuttgart Airport

Gold

Somewhat

Cheapest available (as basically all rooms are the same)

How are the rooms?
clean, relatively modern but a little small.

How is the exec. lounge?
-

None given; nothing offered for elite members

No, not expected

Good: clean room, property close to the airport.
Bad: Although an airport hotel, shuttle costs extra (4€); no elite recognition. I noted that down when I was invited to the standard IHG survey a couple of days after my stay. GM send me an email apologizing for this and included vouchers for 900 points. So after all good handling of my complaint by the hotel.

Breakfast is available but nothing to write home about.

Its okay I think with 69€/night.

Would you return?

Depending on the prices of ohter properties yes, the hotel is really only useful when you want to stay near the airport.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:36 am

ANA Crowne Plaza Fukuoka Japan

ANA Crowne Plaza Fukuoka Japan

Platinum

Yes, very much so.

Booked a two single beds non-smoking base room and that's what I got. By way of upgrade got access to the club. Wasn't sure, between my poor Japanese and the check-in staff's worse English if that was in lieu of not getting a room upgrade or whether I'd have got that anyway and was missing out on the room but I was perfectly happy with that.

How are the rooms?
They've had an extensive refurb since last staying here and were fine. Though despite the nicer decorations and finish you can't escape the feeling you are entering an airplane toilet on entering the bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
It was very good, compact, on the mezzanine floor just above the all-day restaurant. Nice selection of drinks in the evening and a very good spread for such a smallish room for the breakfast. There was computer terminal, a photocopier. Staff were very helpful as were all staff in the hotel.

Didn't receive one, assumed the club access was it.

No

Good:
The club was very quiet and comfortable, all staff were helpful but that's pretty much a given in Japan. Location is good but Fukuoka's a pretty compact city. Transportation options immediately around the hotel are wide and varied.

Bad:
Noise insulation in the room was poor on the floor we were on.
Could not get the hang of the air-conditioner at all.

With the club access very much so. Had only booked the two singles as that was the only non-smoking option available at the lower 22,000JPY rate, it then shot up to 30,000plus for non-smoking doubles and so on. Seems to be a feature of ANA Crowne Plaza's in Japan, you can get cheap non-smoking singles but need to pay for the non-smoking doubles. Another issue is the 3,000JPY tagged on the rate for the 2nd adult in the room. Another common feature in Japan. But at the rate I paid it was good value.

Would you return?
Yes, but would probably book a club room to get a nicer room next time.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by partickboy
Though despite the nicer decorations and finish you can't escape the feeling you are entering an airplane toilet on entering the bathroom.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:25 am

Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre

Club

No (you may compare to a positive experience here)

Booked a lowest category, reveived the same on 2nd floor facing ugly view. Received some 15-20% discount coupons this and that, I could not care less.

How are the rooms?
The rooms are small, worn (as in it had an old feeling to it; colors, furniture), but adequate. Did not include free internet (not yet the case for Elite members, only Gold&Platinum I was told)

How is the exec. lounge?
Hotel has no exec. lounge to my knowledge

What was good
Location, easy to get to airport and the area around.

What was bad?
Old ugly rooms. Service. My room was smelling slightly tobacco, so I asked if it really was a non-smoking. Yes (they did not bother have someone check if there was smell). It was also advertised during booking that WIFI is free for elite, but it was not. I complained during checkout and the lady completely ignored. Intervened the manager, asked what is wrong and handled my disappointment professionally, waived the WIFI fee ^

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
I could come back given the location and constant low prices on this property, but I would book a better room next time. Now paying some 80€ it was not that bad.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Holiday Inn EZE (Buenos Aires)

Booked 1 night as award (only 10K points and 1K back). This was in Feb 2014.
On checkin I was told that as Platinum (Chase PC card) I will get breakfast.

They also have a "little" shuttle to/from EZE: a small car with 4 seats.

Nice hotel, nice rooms. Great for a night before flight from EZE.

Last edited by IntFF; Apr 18, 2014 at 11:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.