Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 18, 15, 1:17 pm   #526

Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Platinum

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
NO

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
booked Executive room and received no suite upgrade. One rep told me on phone they have presidential suite but they don't provide upgrade to that. Other reps told me they have none to upgrade to.

How are the rooms?
Room was average. the AC/Heat is noisy. Small bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
None

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
Bad:
- if you want room service or don't wish to be disturbed, they require you to let the front desk agents know and didn't have those door tags.

- Breakfast is very poor. Very basic and on plastic plate. The dining area is in the lobby itself and it is too small and it gets crowded with families and kids and has lines and no enough tables and chairs.

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
Stayed for Reward night certificate and 35k points and would NOT return.
Blueskyheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 15, 4:57 pm   #527

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, Le Club, QR, etc.
InterContinental Paris Le Grand

What is your IHG Fewards Club status?

Platinum

Yes, but disappointed

I booked the Classic Room (only one available with points), and was upgrade to an Opéra View Junior Suite.

How are the rooms?
The junior suite has an entrance hall, a large bedroom with a sofa and a balcony overlooking the Opéra, and a bathroom with separate shower and toilet.

How is the exec. lounge?
No access.

Good:
- Upgrade without asking. I never thought I'd get it, as the hotel was full and I'm just a humble Plat
- Unbeatable views of the Opéra.
- Great location
- Attentive staff

Bad:
- The furniture is old and worn, the wallpaper was peeling off, the bedsite table had a missing knob... We had to report a water leak (a drop was falling down from the ceiling every 10 seconds), which was fortunately fixed. The rack rate of this room is EUR 1600!!!
- 5 minutes after we got the room, someone opened the door without knocking! He was coming to bring us a welcome gift, which is fine, but why did he enter the room like this?? He was polite, but didn't really apologised for it.
- We had breakfast for EUR 45 each. It was good, but not great: almost no cakes, the fruit was not very tasty... That would be a fine breakfast at a Crowne Plaza for less than EUR 20. Here you just paying that much for having breakfast at the Café de la Paix.
- No swimming-pool, the sauna is not free for guests... only the gym, which is quite small and claustrophobic.
- I was told I would be getting my Welcome points automatically, as I usually do at other hotels one or two days later. After a week without getting them I e-mailed the hotel, but they haven't even replied as yet.

I would never, ever pay that much for such a hotel, it's not my cup of tea. However, when so many points are required for any IHG hotel in Paris, for 50k this a no-brainer (but only once for me).
Old Jul 18, 15, 10:25 pm   #528

Programs: Ihg Plat, Amb
You're a Plat, booked a Room on points, got upgraded from a Classic to an Opera View Junior Suite AND received a welcome gift? I'd say you were treated extraordinarily well. I've received less on paid stays w/ambassador status. I would've been ecstatic in your siatuation.
ARR72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 15, 2:25 am   #529

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, Le Club, QR, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARR72 View Post
You're a Plat, booked a Room on points, got upgraded from a Classic to an Opera View Junior Suite AND received a welcome gift? I'd say you were treated extraordinarily well. I've received less on paid stays w/ambassador status. I would've been ecstatic in your siatuation.
And so were we, that's why I said I was happy with the stay. The disappointment is with the hotel. This is Le Grand, meant to be one of the very best among the almost 5000 properties of IHG. I was expecting to find the ideal, perfect hotel, and it certainly wasn't.
Old Jul 20, 15, 11:01 am   #530

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold, Le Club Gold
Holiday Inn Express Essen City Center

Platinum Ambassador

I did not expect very much for my first HIX and got what I expected.

Queen bed room with sofa bed. No upgrade since because no better room at hotel.

How are the rooms?

Room was small but partly because we used the sofa as a 2nd bed. Queen bed is also very small. Bathroom is basic but everything was OK, it does the job.

Good:

- Location, very close to ciy center and shopping mall, IKEA, ...
- Free parking around the hotel on sunday
- Clean
- Breakfast was good for free breakfast except...

Bad:

- ... I missed some scrambled eggs
- Front desk staff (who happened to be the manager of duty) was not friendly at all. Acted a bit awkward.
- No mini bar
- Small rooms

Yes, for the location and price.
DarrowNAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 15, 7:21 pm   #531

Programs: UA MM lifer, former Ansett Golden Winger, Hilton something, peon in other programs
Holiday Inn Portland-Airport (I-205)

Platinum

YES

1 KING BED NONSMOKING - 20,000 points
Walking in past midnight we were given a suite upgrade on the 7th floor.

How are the rooms?
Room was great! Having a suite is always better when one wakes earlier than your spouse. Comfy bed, clean bathroom - decent counter space for 2 people's toiletries.

How is the exec. lounge?
OK. Located on 8th floor - looks like 2 rooms knocked into one - TV, lounge, 2 bar tables, 1 smaller table, icky pastries on a tray, coffee, sodas juice and water in a fridge. also some fresh fruit in a bowl on the counter.

Good: Location - easy to get to enroute during a roadtrip. Smooth check in. We walked in past midnight and the gal was sitting there. Too often we've waited until someone showed up to check us in.

Bad:
nothing out of the ordinary. We saw a bus loaded with flight crew ahead of us but they sailed thru and did not hold up the check in counter at all.

Stayed for 20k points and would return. The place was sold out and even after we checked in we heard the receptionist take a call and turn the customer away. She gave them the numbers of two other local places to try which I thought was exceptional customer service.
lainys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 15, 5:30 am   #532

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
HI Eindhoven

Spire

Yes

Bx: Standard Room at IHG Advance Purchase rate
Rx: Executive room on 9th floor (out of 10 floors).

How are the rooms?
Very spacious. Wall-to-wall glass with a panorama of old and new Eindhoven. Halogen in-wall reading lamps on both sides of the Euro-king bed. Bathroom looked a bit dated, but again, plenty of space. Nice big writing desk, fold out flatscreen (older, thicker model), minibar.

How is the exec. lounge?
NA

Good:
Price. Good-sized rooms. Good bar (beers/food). Got a good upgrade.

Bad:
Not in the heart of the action at all. Restaurant closed on Sunday night (bar food only). Check-in was cludgy, and wasn't recognized as IHG/Spire member until I offered that info.

For 52€ all-in, I'd definitely use this as a base within the Netherlands, or even to shoot down into parts of Belgium. Many IHG properties in Belgium are more than double that.
FonzieBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 15, 9:51 am   #533

Programs: CX SL, IHG PA
Holiday Inn East Taipei

Holiday Inn East Taipei

Platinum

Yes

I booked the cheapest room, One Double Deluxe Room.
Upgraded to One Bed Executive Junior Suite two days before checking in.

How are the rooms?
The junior suite has a seprated bedroom, a sofa, a business table, a simple kitchien area and a bathroom with separate shower room and bath. Two tv sets, one in the living area, and one in the bed room

How is the exec. lounge?
Offered lounge access, but we did not go.

Good:
- Room Upgrade.
- Good sound proof in the room.
- Free shuttle bus to Taipei 101
- Staff with great attitude.
- A lot of Taiwanese local restaurants near the hotel.

Bad:
- A little distance to Taipei City center.
- A lot of group tourists.

I would defitnitely return here if I can pay the low season price again.
But when in high season. It would be better if you use 15000 points for a reward room.
hanwu85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:05 am   #534

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
HIX Baden-Baden

Spire

I guess. I could go either way.

Bx: cheapest standard room
Rx: Highest floor. Was told they're only have 1 category of room so no upgrade available.

How are the rooms?
Tad cramped, but modern. Partly-opening (German tilt style) windows onto a balcony where no one can go, but the sunset was nice. Bathroom size was sufficient.

How is the exec. lounge?
NA

Good:

Nothing really jumped out at me.

Bad:
- Breakfast was complete cluster-****. No through foot traffic, so everyone trying to enter, exit, and scavenge for morsels in a tiny lane. Coffee machine right on the end of said lane. Not enough seating.
- No recognition of status whatsoever. Stated benefits provided only when asking.

Only with a corporate rate. I'd return, but only to hit nights/stays for promos.
FonzieBone is offline   Reply With Quote