Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2023, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
$26.44 amenity fee daily as of Nov 2023

Amenity fee includes complimentary local calls, access to Dive In movies and refreshments at the pool on Fridays and Saturdays, pressing of two items with 24 hour turnaround, access to PressReader, 10 percent off to Uno & Due Pizzeria, Private Shopping via text with Hugo Boss at 331-345-1127.
Print Wikipost

IC Chicago Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:12 am

Excellent, cheers stimpy.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Petrus
He said "we've put you in a suite in the historic tower, and we wont move you from the historic tower".

I suppose that is a good thing?
Corner suites in the historic tower are pretty large, with classic and elegant design.

PS: don't forget to visit the 1900s pool which is superb
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:23 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Petrus
Just called the very helpful front desk regarding our reservation later this year as I wanted to add a note that we'll require a crib in the room (forgot this at booking).

Gentleman confirmed I am RA and when I asked which tower of the hotel is the nicest, as I've never stayed before, he said "we've put you in a suite in the historic tower, and we wont move you from the historic tower".

I suppose that is a good thing?
Historic tower is excellent, and should like it. Even the corner rooms are nice as they have windows on two sides overlooking Mich Ave, as well as a partial view of the lake from higher floors.

Just beware of the lifts, as only 2 of the bank of 5 go to the floors 23+ in the historic tower. And, like me, if you walk in after a drink or three, it is rather easy to step into the wrong one and then scratch your head upon not seeing your floor button!

Oh, as Nicolas75 said, the swimming pool is well worth a visit, even if you do not plan to swim!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
As an IC Ambassador (not RA) with Platinum status in PC on a paid 6-night stay, what kind of upgrade should I expect (or ask for)?

Last edited by jmd001; Sep 22, 2012 at 12:44 pm Reason: Corrected # of nights
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:02 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by jmd001
As an IC Ambassador (not RA) with Platinum status in PC on a paid 5-night stay, what kind of upgrade should I expect (or ask for)?
Typically a king deluxe room in the historic tower. If you are lucky, and you ask for it, you will get xx06 which is a lake view. Floors 28 and above in the historic tower typically have some view of the lake. The rooms are quite compact though! Other than the desk chair, the only other place to sit is on the bed!

IMHO, do not expect a junior suite.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Typically a king deluxe room in the historic tower. If you are lucky, and you ask for it, you will get xx06 which is a lake view. Floors 28 and above in the historic tower typically have some view of the lake. The rooms are quite compact though! Other than the desk chair, the only other place to sit is on the bed!

IMHO, do not expect a junior suite.
I'd say esp since stay is 5 days. 1-3 days chances are better. I'm there for 2 days and they're giving me the historic tower suite.

Last edited by mnredfox; Jul 26, 2012 at 10:11 pm
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Stay Report; 1 Night, Aug'12

Reserved a "1 KING EXECUTIVE SUITE HISTORIC TOWER" with hopes of getting a better upgrade. I emailed with a request for one with a pullout sofa. They confirmed in email that they upgraded me to the only 2 bedroom suite in the hotel and that if the room wasn't ready they would provide a temporary room.

At check we did use a temporary room and then when ours was ready I asked at the front desk if the keys and room they are giving me was the 2 bedroom suite I was confirmed with. They said yes.

Well, got to the room with my wife and kids and nope... Not the 2 bedroom suite. Called the guest relations person who confirmed it in email and someone reassigned the confirmed room even though there were notes that they committed this to a customer already. Once we were in my wife doesn't like to change rooms so I was stuck. The person said they would followup but I'm quite displeased with the hotel. They lied at the front desk to me when they confirmed it was the 2 bedroom suite....

They provided free breakfast to make up for it but I'm still not happy with it...

Anyways the guest relations person was someone I saw a bunch of time in Gainey Ranch in Scottsdale so I didn't press things as much as normal.

Pool is ok but cold for kids. Walking around the hotel is quite nice. There is also an event room on, I think, the 32 floor where you can go see fairly good views. It almost looks like use to be a club or something like that.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Does this property have an Executive Lounge?

If yes, what are the criteria for access? And how would you rate it?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jmd001
Does this property have an Executive Lounge?
Nope.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, IC Diamond Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stimpy
Nope.
But RA's have full access to the minibar, including snacks.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by travelindave
But RA's have full access to the minibar, including snacks.
Unfortunately, I'm just an "A", not an "RA".

And the PC Plat means nothing at an IC, right?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:00 pm

Our Stay at the IC MM

Just completed an "interesting" (and ultimately very satisfying) stay at the IC Magnificent Mile in Chicago.

Ms. jmd001 and I checked in last Saturday afternoon for a 6-night stay (at a paid conference rate). While the lobby is relatively small, it had one very entertaining feature: The entire wall behind the Front Desk is a massive, multi-panel video screen. They had one wide-angle camera covering on the sidewalk directly in front of the hotel and another some where near the top of the Historic Tower.

The young man at the desk during check-in was certainly pleasant enough, but he was so soft spoken (and apparently inexperienced) that it took a while to understand that although it was about 4:30 PM, our room was not yet ready. He offered us an alternate room (an "accessible" room), but ms. jmd001 was not interested. So he offered us chits for a free drink each while we waited for our original room to be ready. We took him up on the offer and gave him my cell phone number to call when the room was ready.

After a little over an hour with no call , we returned to the Front Desk and were told our room was ready: #3202 in the Historic Tower ^ (we thought).

Unfortunately, it turned out to be one of the SMALLEST rooms I've ever been given in any US hotel. Yes, it was a corner room with a great view looking on to and north on Michigan Ave, but among other limitaions the bedside tables were only furniture in which clothes could be stored. In fairness, the room did have a relatively large bathroom (i.e., the square footage of the bathroom was about 3/4 of the square footage of the non-bathroom part of the room).

After one night, in spite of the view, we had had enough the cramped quarters and went back to the Front Desk. We told the young lady at the desk that we were most appreciative of the original room with the great view, but would really appreciate a larger room ... the view did not matter. She said she would be delighted to accommodate us and to check back in a couple of hours when better rooms would be available.

What we got was a one-bedroom, two-bath suite! (Room 861) It was basically located above the lobby in the "notch" between the historic tower and the "new" building. The view looking out toward Michigan Ave was quite adequate. It definitely provided the space we were hoping for.

The main bathroom (off the bedroom) was almost as large as one in vacated room. The second bathroom was off the "living room" of the suite. It was smaller than the main bathroom, but quite adequate in size.

Later in the evening of the day we moved rooms, ms. jmd001 realized that she could not find the cord for charging her iPhone. She called the desk to ask if one had been found in our former room. Within 10 minutes, she got a call back that, yes, it had been found, and within another 15 minutes it was delivered to the room!

All things concerned, based on my being "only" an Ambassador and being there on a conference rate, we were exceptionally pleased with the replacement room and the staff.

Sidebar: The 32nd floor had one very large area designated as the "32nd Floor Lounge". The doors were open and it appeared vacant, so we went in to explore. Looked like it would make a GREAT Executive Lounge. Too bad the hotel is not making use of it for that.

Last edited by jmd001; Sep 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
My stays here have been pretty good. Once got one of the two suites on the 2nd to top floor (requiring the special elevator).

My only gripe about this place is the parking valet's aren't always around and also there is ALWAYS a line at the front desk.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: IHG RA, SPG Plat, United 1K, Avis Chairman
Ive noticed the RA's usually get suites in the historic tower when booking at the IC Chicago. You should always be in historic tower and never in main tower unless you have booked late like I have in some instances. It would be nice to have a lounge there or if they offered a voucher for free breakfast in the morning instead of the starbucks certificates but overall I think they do a great job at this property.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
No amenity for RA - Compensation?

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and have always had a wonderful stay. As an RA, I have always been upgraded without request and no issues with any perks offered to RAs. However, I was disappointed in my last stay. While I acknowledge my reservation was made day of arrival, upon check-in the agent did not acknowledge my status and tried to book me into a standard room. After I asked about an upgrade, he was then able to "find something" (which was a lovely suite). When I arrived to my room, there was no amenity (which I understand, since I was upgraded at check in). I went to dinner and when I returned, still nothing. I called down to Instant Service and asked for it to be delivered (it's really nice truffles, perfect after dinner treat!). Amenity never arrived. When I checked out in the AM, I mentioned to the agent that I had not received it and she just said that she would inform room service to ensure this doesn't happen again, no offer of anything, except the Starbucks certificate (which I never use). This stay was just off. Is it unreasonable to expect something offered (like a comped breakfast or something)? I'm also Plat with Marriott and if a hotel fails to provide amenities, they give you $100 or something of equal value.

It's really disheartening, since this has always been one of my favorite ICs. I certainly hope they were just having an off-night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.