Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Madrid Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by the_commish3
The hotel is a mile or two if memory serves from the Prado which is where i would of preferred to stay. I remember seeing a W or Westin in that area.
The hotel you are referring to is the Westin Palace Madrid, just 5 minutes walk from the Prado museum.

InterContinental Madrid is only 10 minutes walk to Calle de Serrano, one of the most exclusive districts downtown, where you may find luxury and trendy boutiques, restaurants.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
The hotel you are referring to is the Westin Palace Madrid, just 5 minutes walk from the Prado museum.

InterContinental Madrid is only 10 minutes walk to Calle de Serrano, one of the most exclusive districts downtown, where you may find luxury and trendy boutiques, restaurants.
Thanks I just remember the Westin being closer to where I wanted to be, a lot of restaurants & things to do in that area.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by the_commish3
I stayed at this hotel on two occasions, I had a horrible experience the first time. They have a nice club lounge in my opinion, they make you check in there if your an RA. They treat the Club as a profit center and I saw them bicker with customers. Maybe its just me but it takes away from the experience. One guy was an RA with two rooms and they gave one room access and denied access to the other with no upgrade. The guy was trying to explain that if his two other friends didn't have club access it was worthless to him and he wanted his room upgrade in lieu of this. I've never seen this at any other IC hotels, in Toronto,Paris, Atlanta, etc. they always let multiple parties, family's, coworkers work in a room. Its a club room and its nice, the sad part was the hotel wasn't really busy. This guy is also an RA the way they talked to the guy you would think he had no status, it was sad. I returned about a year later and had a much better expereince I was there for work. I didn't see them bicker with people the way did the prior year but they did upgrade me to Suite and give me club access for my stay.

To Answer your question, The hotel is a mile or two if memory serves from the Prado which is where i would of preferred to stay. I remember seeing a W or Westin in that area. I told myself I'd book that hotel on a return trip. Its a pleasant walk, and the area is great with nice restaurants. I remember this sandwich and coffee place that was awesome next to the hotel. I probably paid 3 or 4E and I got a sandwich, soda, and chips. It was a about a block away, loved it. Found some nice area restaurants exploring but its in the business side similar to a WallStreet in NYC except with a little more life on the weekends before 7pm or so.
oh thanks for that...i'm staying in madrid for 2 days and i want to make the most of it
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The Westin Palace is an excellent hotel IF you get a good room. So hopefully you have top status with Starwood or are willing to pay for a suite. Flyertalk reports on the normal rooms are not great. Also note that both hotels kind of expect you to dress nice. Your service may not be great if you dress poorly, especially at the Westin which famously used to forbid actors, even top Hollywood celebs, in their hotel.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Rusell
I was just asking weather its worth going out to the nightlife after the club lounge or just stay in the hotel.

Usually if I have club lounge access, I sometimes miss out on the evening drinks as I am already out but I have been known to guzzle down drinks when I do make it.
Yes go out to the nightlife after the club lounge. 9PM is early for dinner and midnight is early for the nightlife. The streets are busy with people late into the night.

Night owl or not Madrid is entertaining during the day, also. Shops in general are closed mid afternoon but open late into the night. The lack of crowds mid afternoon is an opportunity to explore the layout of the city prior to the nightlife. Urban hiking of sorts during the day are the highlights and for good or bad the evenings consisted of relaxing after the long day; so no late nights for me but the city as a whole was far busier at night vs afternoon.

4 day stay early February 2013 and 2012. Each time booked via "Exclusive Prepaid A" rate or points. In both cases the timing was excellent as the rates were slightly above 100 Euro and/or 30,000 point. RA status equates to free Internet, free mini bar, early check in, late check out, club, etc. The first year (paid stay) the room was upgraded to a suite with an excellent city view. The second year (points and paid stay) the room was upgraded to a two double bed club room. The staff were all quite accommodating. The club lounge is nice and the club lounge breakfast is also quite nice. The El Corte Ingles is within walking distance and includes a very convenient supermarket in the basement. And the surrounding are is also quite interesting both day and night. El Mercado de San Anton and the associated Chueca area is a nice destination for a long walk from the hotel.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Feb 11, 2013 at 3:15 pm
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
The Westin Palace is an excellent hotel IF you get a good room. So hopefully you have top status with Starwood or are willing to pay for a suite. Flyertalk reports on the normal rooms are not great. Also note that both hotels kind of expect you to dress nice. Your service may not be great if you dress poorly, especially at the Westin which famously used to forbid actors, even top Hollywood celebs, in their hotel.
Thanks good to know the primary reason I considered the Westin in addition to the location was because I wasn't to impressed with the Deluxe rooms at the IC Madrid, I thought the rooms were small and at the time they didn't have flat screen TV's, I remember the rooms being really clean however.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
I just checked out of the IC Madrid yesterday. Couple of comments.... Booked a Deluxe room and was upgraded to a Club room as an RA. The rooms are fine, nothing special and Mini bar is fine.

Note: I was told that RA's were NO LONGER receiving Club at this location! I spoke to the person directly in the club lounge and she advised that they had been giving this benefit "incorrectly" in the past. They were falling in-line with the IC London ect to have consistency across the brand. Well, this isn’t the consistency that I would look for; she mentioned that they now discounted the rate to 55Euro per night to RA's. I explained that most IC's in Asia, as well as in Europe do provide the benefit!! I wouldn’t have stayed here unless Club was included as a benefit. Lots well-priced options this time of year. (I will do a post under RA later)

This was my first stay at the IC Madrid and was just going off what other have reported regarding club access. I advised that my business partners had stayed here in the past and always received the club benefits. After a pretty long discussion, she advised that since it was a single night she would waive it as a goodwill gesture. Hope my experience was an out of the ordinary but I am sure from the conversation it is a change in benefits.

Decent stay overall, just don’t like fighting for benefits. A Hilton downtown would make my options better...

Once again, my stay was fine....but without club benefits I wont be back.

Last edited by shawntobi; Feb 12, 2013 at 9:06 am
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by shawntobi
Note: I was told that RA's were NO LONGER receiving Club at this location! I spoke to the person directly in the club lounge and she advised that they had been giving this benefit "incorrectly" in the past. They were falling in-line with the IC London ect to have consistency across the brand. Well, this isn’t the consistency that I would look for; she mentioned that they now discounted the rate to 55Euro per night to RA's. I explained that most IC's in Asia, as well as in Europe do provide the benefit!! I wouldn’t have stayed here unless Club was included as a benefit. Lots well-priced options this time of year. (I will do a post under RA later).
This is I am afraid, after Francfurt, a very bad news.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nicolas75
This is I am afraid, after Francfurt, a very bad news.
I so very much agree! Which hotel will be the next???

Xxx.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
sorry, but giving a club room without club benefits is a very bad joke. I don't see what remains the difference between a purchased Amb for 200 USD and a RA who spents 60+ nights throughout the chain. The few pops I drink I still can buy myself.

RA used to be an excellent status, but with all these enhancements nowadays its just difficult to justify IHG stays. Hardly any benefits left, reduced point accumulation opportunities.

IHG take a look at Club Carlson.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by boekel
sorry, but giving a club room without club benefits is a very bad joke. I don't see what remains the difference between a purchased Amb for 200 USD and a RA who spents 60+ nights throughout the chain. The few pops I drink I still can buy myself.

RA used to be an excellent status, but with all these enhancements nowadays its just difficult to justify IHG stays. Hardly any benefits left, reduced point accumulation opportunities.

IHG take a look at Club Carlson.
A purchased Amb for 200 USD still has to earn RA doing 60 + nights as well
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:27 am

Decent stay overall, just don’t like fighting for benefits. A Hilton downtown would make my options better...

Once again, my stay was fine....but without club benefits I wont be back.[/QUOTE]

I'm staying at the Hilton Madrid airport so hopefully I get lounge access there too
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:31 am

Once again, my stay was fine....but without club benefits I wont be back.[/QUOTE]

I'll be staying in a Club room but most probably upgraded to a suite, does this mean I won't have access to the Lounge?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
A purchased Amb for 200 USD still has to earn RA doing 60 + nights as well
well, if an Amb receives in terms of upgrade the same benefits as a RA, why should he do the 60+ nights?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
Once again, my stay was fine....but without club benefits I wont be back.

I'll be staying in a Club room but most probably upgraded to a suite, does this mean I won't have access to the Lounge?[/QUOTE]

If you pay for Club, then of course you get club benifits plus your 1 level upgrade as an Ambassador.

I probably shouldnt have confused this by posting RA comments here......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.