Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List of IC hotels that respect RA benefits on AWARD stays

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:17 pm

IC Le Moana Bora Bora

Upgrade: Yes, OTW Horizon Bungalow (from Beach Bungalow reserved with points)
Complementary Minibar: Yes, drinks and snacks
Club lounge access: N/A
Welcome gift: Tshirt and Pareo (sp?)
Free movie: N/A[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
IC Hong Kong?

Does anyone have an update on IC Hong Kong award stay RA recognition? I'm considering booking an award next March, given that the price is north of £200 a night for the cheapest room, I thought I would give points a whirl. The previous comments on this thread were from Aug 05, so I wondered if anyone had more recent experiences?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Ic Berchtesgaden

I booked two rooms using points for two nights. They didn't know I was RA when I checked in. No upgrades. When told them I was RA and asked about the mini-bar, they told me only one of the rooms could have the free mini-bar. To their credit, it is a great mini-bar and it included a sleeve of top-end golf balls. And it was re-stocked the next day. When I checked out, I had to again remind them I was RA and to remove the mini-bar charges and movie charge.

It's a great resort, but the staff was so-so. Also, they sold out two of the restaurants to private parties and they said the 3rd restaurant was already booked full. So we had to drive down the mountain to eat. You'd think they would hold a table or two for RA's and other VIP's.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 4:26 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by PhilH
Does anyone have an update on IC Hong Kong award stay RA recognition? I'm considering booking an award next March, given that the price is north of £200 a night for the cheapest room, I thought I would give points a whirl. The previous comments on this thread were from Aug 05, so I wondered if anyone had more recent experiences?
Ditto! I too would be interested to know about any recent award stays here.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:11 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Thumbs down IC Hong Kong RA Treatment

I have an IC Hong Kong reward stay in a couple of days. I sent e-mail to ask what kind of upgrade I get as a Royal Ambassador. The response was that it would cost HK$1000 for a 1-level upgrade. Apparently, they're not giving me any upgrade at all! I've never experienced this at an IC before. I've used award nights in Amsterdam and Paris and always got suites. This is terrible. The only reason I pay to stay at ICs on business is so I receive VIP perks when I stay for free on leisure.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by HLS2002
I have an IC Hong Kong reward stay in a couple of days. I sent e-mail to ask what kind of upgrade I get as a Royal Ambassador. The response was that it would cost HK$1000 for a 1-level upgrade. Apparently, they're not giving me any upgrade at all! I've never experienced this at an IC before. I've used award nights in Amsterdam and Paris and always got suites. This is terrible. The only reason I pay to stay at ICs on business is so I receive VIP perks when I stay for free on leisure.
This is very disappointing. I would not stay there on points if RA benefits are not going to be honoured.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:25 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
I was even more upset when I discoved that a harbour view room only costs HK$300 more than the plaza view room on the IC website. Accordingly, they would be ripping me off with their offer even if I had no status at all. I'll report back should I receive a response to my second e-mail, which I hope was not too hostile.

Since I have IC points to burn, I'm not planning to cancel. It's the future revenue stays I'll have to rebook with Starwood and Hilton, chains that have invariably treated me well and respected status on award stays.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
IC London - got an upgrade from a Mayfair Room to a Royal Park Executive (no suites yet open) and free minibar ('for in-room consumption only') and RA gift.

HLS2002 - hold out for the harbour view. The view is the raison d'etre of this hotel, quite frankly.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by HLS2002
Since I have IC points to burn, I'm not planning to cancel. It's the future revenue stays I'll have to rebook with Starwood and Hilton, chains that have invariably treated me well and respected status on award stays.
There's always the IC Grand Stanford, although it's not as conveniently located and I believe their RA recognition also leaves a lot to be desired (even on revenue stays), but it may be better than getting zip from the IC HKG.

As Raffles says, it's the view that counts at the IC HKG.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:57 am

Tokyo Bay?

Anyone have any info on how the IC Tokyo Bay handles RA's on awards? Just booked an award there. TIA.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:25 pm

Update on the IC HKG

The hotel never responded to my somewhat heated e-mail, questioning their lack of respect for RAs on award stays. When I showed up to check in, though, it was clear I had caused something of a stir. The person at the front desk radioed that "the Royal Ambassador has arrived." She then showed me to a junior suite with a partial harbour view -- the xx45 line.

She made it clear that they had made a special exception for me and that upgrades usually aren't allowed on award stays. That was fine with me; I just won't return to their property. The minibar beverages, but not snacks, were still free. I drank the bottle of Chilean red wine they gave me, but I didn't do any minibar damage, apart from a fair number of Evian and Perrier bottles. I didn't watch a movie either, but they said one movie would be free during the stay.

The partial view was actually a little bit cool. I woke up on my first morning looking out over a junk in the harbor. At the same time, the section of Hong Kong I could see wasn't the most happening zone where, e.g., the nightly light show takes place. For that, I had to get drinks in the bar. I also had the "sexy spoon" degustation menu at Spoon (I was fairly underwhelmed, and they also got me back for the free minibar water charging HKD110 for one bottle of water).

Overall, the IC HKG was a very nice hotel with modern touches like the iPod docking station as part of the Bose system. The junior suite also had Bulgari bath products (of which I'm a major fan). On points, it's disappointing they don't want to honor RA upgrade benefits. As Raffles and PhilH have suggested, there's not much point to this hotel without the view. On paid stays, I'd seriously have to consider whether I'd be better off staying elsewhere since this is a fairly high-dollar property. Club access, incidentally, is apparently never offered for free. It's not a section of rooms, but rather a special area -- apparently like at Le Grand.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt/MM 2.2, Priority Club PLT RAMB
IC Cancun????

Has anybody had any recent experiences with the IC Cancun. I have one paid night (to get credit for the stay) and three points nights in Feb.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:39 pm

Programs: IC Roy Amb, PC Plat, MR Plat,Delta,AA,NWA,Hyatt,Starwood,Hilton
You should have full RA benefits on award stays, I was upgraded to a club level room with all normal benefits when I was there...stay away from the AI option at this hotel!

SAS

Originally Posted by lifeguard503
Has anybody had any recent experiences with the IC Cancun. I have one paid night (to get credit for the stay) and three points nights in Feb.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador & Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
IC Barclay

Mrs Mole (the RA member) and I recently stayed 4 nights at the IC Barclay, on a points stay.

We were allocated a one bedroom suite on the 11th floor - we thought the room was great (yes it had a small bath)

We were sent a very nice card welcoming us to the hotel - we received a free bottle of red wine on the first night and a bottle of champers (chilled in an ice bucket) on our third night, and fresh fruit and water every night.

Offered late check out.

MINIBAR - when we checked in we were told we didn't qualify for this benefit (which is per IC's term and conditions) - other staff we spoke to said we were entitled to a free minibar and in fact we were not charged for additional coffee we used. As our visit to Toronto and new York was our first as RA members we chose not to access the minibar - we had a fridge in our room which we used - whereas we should have consumed some items to see whether we would be charged.

I thought the room we were given was fantastic for a points stay, especially as New York hotels are expensive in December.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
IC Singapore

Award nights in Jan 2007:

Upgrade: Yes, to Premier Room (the L-shaped room formerly known as the Junior suite)
Complementary Minibar: Yes
Club lounge access: No
Free movie: Yes
Early checkin: Yes
Late checkout: Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.