Can't see why IC allow this RA referral thing...

Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Can't see why IC allow this RA referral thing...

... and why so many people sell or make trades out of it.
Don't you all think this will just dilute RA status and recognition?
If every RA can refer a RA who can refer a RA etc etc in less than one year I think everybody will be a RA!

I just can't see why people spending just 3 nites on 3 different ICs and something like 30nites in a cheap 80$ HIX are getting RA status, but that's it...

But really can't see why IC allow even a referred person to get a referral voucher!

I just can't imagine when RA won't get anymore free minibars or stuff like that... make me wondering why... (and thinking of a guy here proud of having drank with colleagues something like 150$ minibars value on a 140$ rate...)

Just my thoughts...
maclover
Old Aug 10, 2005, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by maclover
If every RA can refer a RA who can refer a RA etc etc in less than one year I think everybody will be a RA!

I just can't see why people spending just 3 nites on 3 different ICs and something like 30nites in a cheap 80$ HIX are getting RA status, but that's it...

But really can't see why IC allow even a referred person to get a referral voucher!

I just can't imagine when RA won't get anymore free minibars or stuff like that... make me wondering why... (and thinking of a guy here proud of having drank with colleagues something like 150$ minibars value on a 140$ rate...)

Just my thoughts...
maclover
How many referred RAs here actually received another RA referral cert?

Those who became RA on referral may or may not stay at ICs more often because they are now RA. Yes, there will be RA dilution, but not as bad as some of you think.

Last couple of years there were tons of promos to become HHonors Gold, I would imagine there was Gold dilution, but I didn't see much competition for upgrades during my 15-20 nights of stay at various HHonors properties. Same goes for airline status dilution. As UA 1P, I have seen my upgrade competition increase over the years, but they still clear 80% of the time in the last couple of years. So far this year, my upgrades have cleared 100% of the time.

I guess it is something to have a promo to increase business and give out elite status, it is another just to give out "RA" for free!
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by julyrose9
How many referred RAs here actually received another RA referral cert?
Me

What we forget, however, is that the '3 stays at an IC and already be Plat' rule is NOT widely publicised. And there is no evidence that people who meet this basic criteria are being made RA unless they ring and ask for it - and I very much doubt non-FT'ers would ring and ask for it because no-one would believe that the criteria is so low!

I don't really agree with RA referrals, but thats how I became an RA. Does that make me a hypocrite? Possibly. I have also spent a lot more with IC this year than I otherwise would, which also proves that RA DOES drive them extra business. However, the day that the upgrade is no longer guaranteed is the day that I stop using them.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The RA Referral is a very "English" way of broadening membership amongst "the right people". The original demographic of the RA was especially high end. He or she would have spent 50 nights or so at IC branded properties, be a senior corporate executive or manager, diplomat or senior public servant, consultant and the like. Obviously, having to ability to invite someone of a similar demographic was similar to inviting a colleague or friend to join your club. Outsiders were only occassionally considered for membership.

About two years ago, the original SixContinentsClub morphed into the Ambassador program, and the top two tiers of the SCC became the new Royal Ambassador tier. Admission was lowered to a requirement of three stays at three different IC branded properties in a year, along with some PC elite status being earned in the same period. And the referral program was continued. So, yes, the numbers have grown, and I guess with that the exclusivity.

And as we have witnessed here, perhaps somewhat dubious elevations by purchase or gifting. This broadening has certainly changed the original demographic of RAs, but that is part of the strategy IC has played to increase their business and try to lure higher-paying guests from other upper range hotel groups and programs.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:22 am

Programs: Platinum Royal Ambassador,GC Elite,HH Gold,DC Gold,*A Gold
Well it was you RJB that told me about the Le Grand depart promo offer, I had never even stayed at an IC till then, since then I become Ambassador, then platinum then RA thanks to FT, and I like RJB I have spent more at ICs than I otherwise would, I really like the program and the benefits thats why I stay at CP's and HI's when there are no IC's every point counts towards those reward nights at IC's.

They certainly have my loyalty till as RJB said the guaranteed upgrades vanish

Originally Posted by RJB
Me

What we forget, however, is that the '3 stays at an IC and already be Plat' rule is NOT widely publicised. And there is no evidence that people who meet this basic criteria are being made RA unless they ring and ask for it - and I very much doubt non-FT'ers would ring and ask for it because no-one would believe that the criteria is so low!

I don't really agree with RA referrals, but thats how I became an RA. Does that make me a hypocrite? Possibly. I have also spent a lot more with IC this year than I otherwise would, which also proves that RA DOES drive them extra business. However, the day that the upgrade is no longer guaranteed is the day that I stop using them.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
I am not sure that they are completely aware that nearly everyone who is referred gets a cert - if you are concerned about this and the criteria perhaps you/we should write letter(s)/email(s) etc.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards

Just my thoughts...
maclover

Hi
Your just a SNOB at heart!!
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:06 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Well, I was Diamond with both Hyat and Hilton and since my client put me in CP for a little bit and I was travelling around NZ and OZ, I bought Ambassador in July more for the upgrade to the club level and the free night certs. IC Le Grand won me over when they upgraded me to the Jr. Suite overlooking the Opera and I put some 20+ nights to Crown Plaza when the client's preferred chain is Sheraton but the Westin Prince was too far.. Also put another 5-10 nights to HIX and 10 to IC... Now that I have been made RA, more likely to stay at IC when client has rates with IC but some are telling me it would not earn stay credits since it is below 30% rate. If that issues is not on that, would be inclined to stay morel.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all your points of view!
What I really intended is that in the recent future we are all witnesses to a big RA referral business...

Just thinking of that guy on CC trying to get like 6 of them...
I do agree that who qualifies for RA gets a referral to hand to a friend/relative/colleague, but really think that the referred person shouldn't get one.

maclover
Old Aug 14, 2005, 9:09 am

Just thinking of that guy on CC trying to get like 6 of them...

maclover
not sure how any one person needs so many of these for personal use.

Dino

Last edited by Dino2020; Aug 14, 2005 at 10:01 am
Old Aug 14, 2005, 9:54 am

.....but really think that the referred person shouldn't get one.
maclover
Totally agree. I received a referral form, but will not use it unless a close personal friend or family member can really use it(unlikely). Otherwise, I will deep-six it.
I wrote an e-mail to [email protected] expressing my concerns about everyone getting a referral. If everyone who has these concerns where to also write, perhaps we can get PC to stop this practice, so that these wonderful benefits do not become so diluted as to become worthless.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
About two years ago, the original SixContinentsClub morphed into the Ambassador program, and the top two tiers of the SCC became the new Royal Ambassador tier. Admission was lowered to a requirement of three stays at three different IC branded properties in a year, along with some PC elite status being earned in the same period. And the referral program was continued. So, yes, the numbers have grown, and I guess with that the exclusivity.
Reading threads in the ICH forum, it doesn't seem hard to earn PC Platinum status from all the promos that has been going on. Earning 60K pts with some of the 10K bonus promos I read about can be had for probably around 10 stays, maybe less. 3 of those stays can be IC. So a quick phone call to the Ambassador desk after the stay and point requirements one can make RA? Sounds too good to be true! HHonors and SPG requires 25 or more to reach top elite. Perhpas a defection from HHonors and SPG is possible!
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:33 am

Reading threads in the ICH forum, it doesn't seem hard to earn PC Platinum status from all the promos that has been going on. Earning 60K pts with some of the 10K bonus promos I read about can be had for probably around 10 stays, maybe less. 3 of those stays can be IC. So a quick phone call to the Ambassador desk after the stay and point requirements one can make RA? Sounds too good to be true! HHonors and SPG requires 25 or more to reach top elite. Perhpas a defection from HHonors and SPG is possible!
As I understand the rules you have to RETAIN platinum meaning earn it for this year and then come January earn platinum again and stay at 3 different IC's, So not as easy as just earning 60k points and 3 different IC's and from some new posts people have done this and called the Ambassador desk and been told NO, its by invitation only so nothing is certain, but some have been upgraded to RA when meeting this requirement without having to call.

Dino
Old Aug 15, 2005, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Dino2020
As I understand the rules you have to RETAIN platinum meaning earn it for this year and then come January earn platinum again and stay at 3 different IC's, So not as easy as just earning 60k points and 3 different IC's and from some new posts people have done this and called the Ambassador desk and been told NO, its by invitation only so nothing is certain, but some have been upgraded to RA when meeting this requirement without having to call.

Dino
The RA referral cert can go to PC nobody to upgrade his/her status to RA/PC Platinum, right?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:37 am

The RA referral cert can go to PC nobody to upgrade his/her status to RA/PC Platinum, right?
Yes, but PC Nobody would also need to pay US$150 (in addition to having the cert).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.