Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 28, 05, 12:32 am   #1
aw

Programs: AAdvantage, AF Flying Blue, LH Miles & More, TK Miles & Smiles, AV/TA Lifemiles, UA Mileage Plus.
How is location for the IC New Orleans?

Hi,

Did a search about this hotel but did not find too much information about the surrounding area. I know it's on Charles St which is a major street and it doesn't seem too far from the French Quarter. However, I have been told that any area outside of the Quarter, especially at night, is dangerous and one must always cab it. For those who have stayed there, could you advise how far of a walking distance is the hotel from the Quarter? Is the surrounding area safe to go out for dinner/entertainment?
aw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 05, 1:04 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw
Hi,

Did a search about this hotel but did not find too much information about the surrounding area. I know it's on Charles St which is a major street and it doesn't seem too far from the French Quarter. However, I have been told that any area outside of the Quarter, especially at night, is dangerous and one must always cab it. For those who have stayed there, could you advise how far of a walking distance is the hotel from the Quarter? Is the surrounding area safe to go out for dinner/entertainment?
Others may disagree but I lived in MSY for a year and a half because of Tulane and never felt "dangerous" to walk in downtown.
holtju2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 05, 4:23 am   #3

Programs: DL DM, MM; PC PM; IC Royal Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw
Hi,

I have stayed at this location several times, and to me it is a perfect (and perfectly safe) location. It is only a block or two from the beginning of the Quarter, so cabbing it would seem, barring some unusual circumstance, unnecessary. The hotel is set among several very large office buildings containing large law firms and major companies, so it's pretty quiet at night. As far as I can tell, it is actually safer than the Quarter because there are alot fewer drunks rolling around the streets at night.

While what your friends say is true about being very, very careful about straying too far afield in New Orleans, I consider this area to be a quiet extension of the tourist area and as safe as one can be in New Orleans, night or day.

Are there native New Orleanians would could chime in here?
Casimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 05, 5:11 am   #4

NOLA is a regular gig for me. I have stayed in this hotel many times, though I have switched prmarily to the Hilton chain. From the IC, you can walk straight up St. Charles into the Qtr, and with no problems.

See if you can request a room with an interior balcony. Sometimes it's nice to have room-service breakfast there.

M8

Last edited by Martinis at 8; Jul 28, 05 at 6:49 am.
Martinis at 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 05, 5:56 am   #5

Programs: DL Skymiles, Priority Club Plat AMB.,HHonors Gold,Amex
I agree with the above posts, I've stayed at this location a couple of times and it's perfect for me, not too far-not too close to all of the "excitment" of Bourbon St. Everyone pretty much rags on how dangerous N.O is, but I've never had any sort of harrassment or threats no matter where I've stayed nor during high peak seasons (Mardi Gras, Football weekends, etc). Honestly, the only harassment comes from the housekeeping staff
smileymike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 05, 6:43 am   #6

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, HI Platinum, Delta Platinum
I agree also. I either stay at the Hilton Riverside or the IC and I have never had any problems waking around the area.
leviferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 05, 6:55 am   #7

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviferret
I agree also. I either stay at the Hilton Riverside or the IC and I have never had any problems waking around the area.
IC New Orleans

i was there in early june

and it is a bit further than the Renaissance Pere
especially at 4 am
and a few hurricanes

but i felt safe

although it shouldnt be more than a $5 cab ride

and agree with another poster
the only hassle you get is from the housekeeping staff
jessej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 05, 3:30 pm   #8
aw

Programs: AAdvantage, AF Flying Blue, LH Miles & More, TK Miles & Smiles, AV/TA Lifemiles, UA Mileage Plus.
You guys are great. Thanks for the advice. I have heard that housekeeping at this property ignore the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign and are notorious for waking up customers and showing up at the most unexpected times.

Now my choices will be narrowed down between Chicago or New Orleans for a wknd getaway.
aw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 05, 3:37 pm   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw
...Now my choices will be narrowed down between Chicago or New Orleans for a wknd getaway.
NOLA!

M8
Old Jul 28, 05, 9:07 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw
Now my choices will be narrowed down between Chicago or New Orleans for a wknd getaway.
I normally always have a complete blank memory and a terrible hangover after being in New Orleans.
holtju2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 05, 10:54 pm   #11

Programs: AC SE again, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
My vote is normally for NOLA but August I might go for Chicago since it would be very hote in NOLA.

The IC is perfectly safe and there is a rather nice bar/restaurant by Susan Spicer at the Hotel Monaco across the street and they have some interesting cocktails there. About a 5+ minute walk to canel and the beginning of the Quarter. The area you need to be more careful about is north of the Quarter on Rampert and East of the Quarter. If I go to Frenchman street, I would proabably take a cab rather than walk through the quarter in the evening since there is a darkish patch between quarter and Frenchman..

The location is good and perfectly fine.
Old Jul 29, 05, 5:12 am   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyo
My vote is normally for NOLA ...The IC is perfectly safe and there is a rather nice bar/restaurant by Susan Spicer at the Hotel Monaco across the street and they have some interesting cocktails there...The area you need to be more careful about is north of the Quarter on Rampert and East of the Quarter. If I go to Frenchman street, I would proabably take a cab rather than walk through the quarter in the evening since there is a darkish patch between quarter and Frenchman..

The location is good and perfectly fine.
I endorse what Snoopyo has commented on. Cobalt is okay for dining and drinks. If you are solo, you can dine comfortably at the bar. However, if you want to sample Susan's fare at it's best, I would try her Bayona restaurant. Also, you can free-load at the Monaco happy hour. There are ususally some interesting people there to mingle with if you are the type to make friends easily. Another good bar is in the Lafayette hotel, about a block down on St. Charles walking away from the French Qtr. I've stayed at the hotel itself, and it is horrible, but the bar is a good place. There's a lot of legal-eagle types there, but it is still okay. Lot's of nice looking local professional women. As for Frenchmen Street [Fabourg Marigny neighborhood], I don't think the darkish patch is much to worry about, I have always walked there. Nevertheless if you feel more comfortable with a cab, then cab it. Some of the jazz clubs there do not open till Thu evening, and don't get started till really late. Cafe do Brasil comes to mind first. However, I think the best local show on Frenchmen St. and in NOLA is at Sung Harbor by Charmaine Neville. She generally plays there on Monday evenings. Show time is at 9:00p and you can order food and drinks in the show. The Frenchmen St. area is not over-run with tourists, so you will enjoy the venue. As for Rampart Street, there is a really good jazz club there called the Funky Butt. If you visit there, I advise you take a cab.

Cheers,

M8
Old Aug 1, 05, 2:19 pm   #13

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Here's a vote for my home city of Chicago!
Although I wouldn't mind a wkend get away to NOLA. Haven't been in a few years and I would like to reload on oysters.
Comment about the heat NO vs Chicago. It's hot here too! Just because we are farther north don't expect it to be cooler. Two Sundays ago it was 102. The midwest is known not only for heat but humidity too. Only good thing is we do get breaks in the heat from our cooler neighbor to the north - Canada. We will occasionally get a cool breeze down through the Great Lakes. Our 102 degree Sunday was followed by 75 degree Wednesday last week. We generally average in the high 80's in August. But the next few days will be in the 90's. Often we will be warmer than Miami. But I tuely love this city. Wouldn't live anywhere else!!!!

Last edited by balima; Aug 4, 05 at 3:09 pm.
balima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 05, 3:25 pm   #14

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, PC Plat, ClubC Gold
I used to stay here all the time on business. This is my favorite hotel in New Orleans and perhaps my favorite in the entire chain (though I have always been treated well in Chicago, too!)

The area is perfectly safe at night and in some respects better than the alternatives on Canal Street (which has more traffic). Definitely better than the Hilton unless you are attending a meeting at the convention center. It is a short walk to the French Quarter, and an even shorter walk to the St. Charles trolley line which will take you out to the Garden District and the best restaurant in NO: Commanders Palace. And usually you can get a good rate here, particularly in the humid summer.

Les bon temps roullet (sp?!)
Boraxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 05, 4:20 pm   #15

If you have read any of my previous comments on this property, you know the Housekeeping staff ignoring the DND signs has been a persistent problem for me.
solution last trip : DND sign, and a note stating "LATE CHECK-OUT, Do Not Disturb until at least 4:00 PM, any questions, call ext 4374"

BTW, 4374 is the ambassador desk guest relations manager, Karen Waryas, and she knows about the housekeeping staff's difficulty with obeying DND

As is the case at other hotels, the housekeepers at the IC get to go home after they finish their assigned rooms and/or a certain number of rooms. They seem especially eager to do this at the expense of my sleep.

also, I know I am not the only one to whom this has happened to (repeatedly), so please take the time to inform the Guest Relations at check-out, or via email - karen_waryas@interconti.com she forwards these on to the GM, (hopefully), and maybe someday someone will take notice and take action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw
You guys are great. Thanks for the advice. I have heard that housekeeping at this property ignore the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign and are notorious for waking up customers and showing up at the most unexpected times.

Matthewski is offline   Reply With Quote