Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Semiramis Cairo Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:04 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Originally Posted by demue
...Not sure if this is company travel or private trip and what the budget is but...
Just a stopover for a few days before heading on to ??? Ahh... Those were the good ol' days .

Thank you all for your input.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The Citystars-Heliopolis IC is just great for an airport stop-over, but the Semiramis is city-centre nile-side - and so preferred if you like to be in the centre of things. You'll be round the corner from the Egyptian museum and the fast-fading Hilton, and a very short walk from US and UK embassies, so security in the area is high. It's a fine hotel, except for the reception area which is seems crowded out with food outlets. An awful lot depends on the room you get - aim for high and Nile view.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:04 pm

IC Semiramis Cairo

Just got back from the IC Semiramis and I'll tell you, I've had better. Currently the lobby is undergoing refurb and as the work is either done 1. around the clock or 2. exclusively at night I could hear the hammer blows as they traveled up the structural beams and reverberated in my room on the 10th floor.

On the note of upgrades and whatnot, as an Ambassador I was supposedly upgraded to a superior Nile view room but what is odd is the rest of my group was in the same room type.

Couple both of those with the fact that a brand new purchase went missing in my room during the day really left me feeling underwhelmed.

What really made it worse was the Ramadan attitude I got from anyone I talked to with regard to the above complaints. By about noon everyone was thoroughly pissed off and quite unwilling to listen/care.

But your mileage may vary, just thought it should be put out there. I brought it up to ICH customer service via e-mail, hopefully they'll put it right.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
[QUOTE=Fieldengineeringguy]
On the note of upgrades and whatnot, as an Ambassador I was supposedly upgraded to a superior Nile view room but what is odd is the rest of my group was in the same room type.
QUOTE]

I guess the question shouldn't be about what other people got, but whether or not you got a Nile-view room. The alternative views of the Mugama or even the US embassy are not too great....

The hotel's general interpretation of benefits is that Ambassadors booking a regular room get an "enhanced" room (i.e. with a view), while an RA gets a junior suite.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:17 am

I was in Cairo recently. I didn´t stay at the intercontinental, but ate twice in their restaurants. Both of them were the best food I had my entire Egypt trip.
The Thai restaurant, the birdcage, has a waitress working there who was recruited directlz from Thailand. I wouldn´t be surprised if the chef is as well. They had a great 4 course lunch special for 96 egyptian pounds (about $20 US). The lebanese restaurant, sabaya, was excellent as well. I stayed at the nile hilton because of the location close to the egyptian museum, but this hotel was only one block from the hilton. It sounds like you don´t get good upgrade treatment but keep in mind that the restaurants are excellent.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA1K, IC RA, *wood Plt, AA EXP, LH Sen, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, EK Gold
Has anyone stayed at the Nile Suite? It is supposed to be above the Executive Suite? Please let me know if it worth it to book it? Thanks!

MD
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How far from the Egyptian museum is the IC? Is it near Heliopolis or on the Nile close to downtown?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I do believe the IC Semiramis is on the Nile and within walking distance of the Egyptian Museum. The IC CityStars is farther away and not on the Nile, though it is next to the most upscale (and large) mall in Cairo.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It's walkable in well under 10 minutes. However .... you really should think about staying at the Four Seasons Nile Plaza which is about 2 minutes further walk away and is an astonishingly good hotel. I can't say enough good things about it, given this is Egypt we're talking about.

For an IC, take Citystars. It is in the suburbs but near the airport. It is also attached to the only Western-style shopping mall in the whole of Egypt, which gives you some relaxing space after a nightmare day of sightseeing.

I was there last year and did 2 nights at the Four Seasons followed by 2 nights at Citystars, mainly because I was on a very early flight back and being near the airport helped. I also used a 2-4-1 for these 2 nights. Citystars is a good hotel but the FS is an exceptional hotel - albeit Citystars has a far, far better pool.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: * Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
It's walkable in well under 10 minutes. However .... you really should think about staying at the Four Seasons Nile Plaza which is about 2 minutes further walk away and is an astonishingly good hotel. I can't say enough good things about it, given this is Egypt we're talking about.

For an IC, take Citystars. It is in the suburbs but near the airport. It is also attached to the only Western-style shopping mall in the whole of Egypt, which gives you some relaxing space after a nightmare day of sightseeing.

I was there last year and did 2 nights at the Four Seasons followed by 2 nights at Citystars, mainly because I was on a very early flight back and being near the airport helped. I also used a 2-4-1 for these 2 nights. Citystars is a good hotel but the FS is an exceptional hotel - albeit Citystars has a far, far better pool.

Well...the last two posts are absolutely correct about the FS Nile Plaza being a better hotel....also bare in mind that the IC Semiramis is a few decades old...and the FS Nile Plaza is hmm...less than 10 years...I think opened around 2004 (give or take a few years).
However I'm not very sure if the city stars compnlex is the best place for some 'relaxing space' though, in the summer its pretty busy..more on the crowded side especially during the evenings. I think it also depends on who you're going with, if kids are involved maybe the IC city stars is a better choice....you can use any of the restaurants in city stars or go to the cinema in the evening.

I'd go for staying near the Nile and maybe opting for a felucca in the evening. Most sites are closer to downtown area where both the IC Semiramis and FS Nile Plaza are located.
Have a lovely stay and don't forget to share with us your experience

Last edited by amateur305; Jun 21, 2008 at 2:31 pm
Old Jun 21, 2008, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Fieldengineeringguy
I booked this week a stay at IC CAIRO SEMIRAMIS
I booked the cheapest rate and as RA got 1 KING BED EXECUTIVE SUITE NILE VIEW
Old Jun 21, 2008, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Raffles
For an IC, take Citystars. (...) It is also attached to the only Western-style shopping mall in the whole of Egypt, which gives you some relaxing space after a nightmare day of sightseeing.
After a nightmare day of sightseeing, may I suggest the only Western style hamburger restaurant

http://www.mcdonaldsegypt.com/
Old Jun 21, 2008, 5:47 pm

Hi,
It is within easy walking distance and we have done it many, many times. The only difficult thing to negotiate is the main road but there are pedestrian underpasses to Tahir square so you don't have to cross the road itself.
By the way, the Semiramis club lounge is one of the best we have ever been in, serving pretty much 3 meals a days. BUT. Try the Birdcage Thai restuarant downstairs. It is exquisite.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:33 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by nicolas75
After a nightmare day of sightseeing, may I suggest the only Western style hamburger restaurant

http://www.mcdonaldsegypt.com/
Un francais recommende un restaurant americain?

Semiramis has nice dining options around, too ... but I didn't check McDo.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by amateur305
I'd go for staying near the Nile and maybe opting for a felucca in the evening. Most sites are closer to downtown area where both the IC Semiramis and FS Nile Plaza are located.
Have a lovely stay and don't forget to share with us your experience

I would love to hear peoples' experiences taking the felucca from the IC Semiramis. The concierge says they are across from the hotel and cost only 50 pounds per hour. Is that enough time and what is the ride like? Nice and breezy or stale and stagnant air! The river doesnt look too clean, and I would hate to fall in off those tiny little boats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.