Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
IC Davos

IC Davos

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Deluxe, got Alpine Executive (suite) with club

How are the rooms?
As previously mentioned, one large room with a big balcony. Outstanding design, large bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
Small lounge on the ground level with hit-and-miss service. Only below average drink selection for happy hour - however, small, but tasty selection of hors d'oeuvres.

What was good and what was bad?
Good

- Excellent recognition and upgrade
- Very friendly and knowledgeable front desk staff
- Superb concierge services
- Free shuttle service to Davos (and back!) upon request, free shuttle to two ski areas
- Convenient ski locker
- High quality breakfast

Bad
- For 600 SFR/night, immaculate service can be expected. At Nuts & Co it sometimes wasn't the case (sometimes impolite and long wait times), same at Studio Grigio (we weren't greeted, neither served but completely ignored)
- Pool area is way too small - I cannot understand why they didn't build a large area.

Value for € or Priority Club Points?
Expensive, but worth it.

Would you return?
Yes.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:53 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
IC Puxi (Shanghai)

IC Puxi

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador

Not so much this time. While the room upgrade was OK (though unnecessary as I was travelling alone,) the failure of this hotel to follow the RA rules, by adding a revenue component to their RA recognition, makes this property less desirable.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive:
A "Double-Eleven" rate for the lowest level, upgraded to junior suite-actually, not really a suite as it's just a larger king bed room. I had requested a Club room with Club access, one of the choices per the RA rules, but it was denied.

How are the rooms?
Corner large king bed room with a view (of course, the air quality is low, so.....) and great open feeling. Decent lighting as well. Separate shower stall in the bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
Usually it's great, but I wasn't offered Club access, though I repeatedly requested it, instead of the "Jr. Suite."

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Yes, a painted tile plus a bowl of fruit and chocolates and a Perrier.

How was the minibar?
The WORST stocked of any IC I've ever stayed at. Two Cokes, Two Sprites, Two Diet Cokes, Two Heinekens, and Two Tsingtao's, all warm as the minibar is not turned on. NO wine or spirits anywhere in the room. Too bad about their negative attitude shown towards RA's. Of course, I only drink in moderation and don't pack the rest of them in the luggage.

-Good
The price.
I used to like it much better than the GH where I have previously stayed, but now it's back to the GH.

-Bad
RA recognition with no Club access and pitiful minibar

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Still a good value at 702 rmb++ but not as good as before their unilateral change in the rules.

Would you return?
Maybe, at a low enough rate.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jan 20, 2015 at 9:59 am Reason: added name of property to post instead of title only
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
IC Puxi

Not so much this time. While the room upgrade was OK (though unnecessary as I was travelling alone,) the failure of this hotel to follow the RA rules, by adding a revenue component to their RA recognition, makes this property less desirable.

A "Double-Eleven" rate for the lowest level, upgraded to junior suite-actually, not really a suite as it's just a larger king bed room. I had requested a Club room with Club access, one of the choices per the RA rules, but it was denied.

How are the rooms?
Corner large king bed room with a view (of course, the air quality is low, so.....) and great open feeling. Decent lighting as well. Separate shower stall in the bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
Usually it's great, but I wasn't offered Club access, though I repeatedly requested it, instead of the "Jr. Suite."

Yes, a painted tile plus a bowl of fruit and chocolates and a Perrier.

How was the minibar?
The WORST stocked of any IC I've ever stayed at. Two Cokes, Two Sprites, Two Diet Cokes, Two Heinekens, and Two Tsingtao's, all warm as the minibar is not turned on. NO wine or spirits anywhere in the room. Too bad about their negative attitude shown towards RA's. Of course, I only drink in moderation and don't pack the rest of them in the luggage.

-Good
The price.
I used to like it much better than the GH where I have previously stayed, but now it's back to the GH.

-Bad
RA recognition with no Club access and pitiful minibar

Still a good value at 702 rmb++ but not as good as before their unilateral change in the rules.

Would you return?
Maybe, at a low enough rate.
It's the hotel choice to either give you club or suite, not your choice at check in. Shanghai ICs can be strict on this because of the large number of RAs they see.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jan 20, 2015 at 10:00 am Reason: quoted post edited
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:19 pm

IC Asiana Saigon

IC Asiana Saigon

Very. Two stays in the last 4 weeks, both very similar

Booked cheapest, got upgrade to a proper two room suite on high floor with club access

How are the rooms?
Good size living room and bedroom, as described before. (Btw: the corner suite has the work area in the bedroom, the normal suite has the workarea in the living room - tell them what you prefer

How is the exec. lounge?
Great. Very good food, good selection, tasty and good quality. Great service, very friendly.

Yes, this time they had some vietnamese laquer penholders which actually are useful
Also bottle of red, some tiny macarons, some nuts

How was the minibar?
It is average

-Good
RA recognistion
Very friendly

-Bad
nothing really

Saigon prices are creeping up in the last few years, but still good.

Would you return?
Absolutely
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:27 pm

IC HongKong

IC Hong Kong

Absolutely. Two stays in the last few weeks. Veyr happy both times.

Booked cheapest harbour view, got upgrade to Junior suite (the one in the miidle of the building with the two big windows, great view). Second was cheapest regular room, got upgrade to junior suite at the end of the bulding facing backwards/sideways. Got club access in both cases.

How are the rooms?
Nice. The first room has the best view since it is at a front 45 degree corner and has most likely the best view of any room in the hotel.
The other one was facing the construction site next door and had some noise during the day (which I dod not mind since I was tehre only for sleeping anyhow). Bot if you plan to spend time there during the day (except sunday) book harbour view or ask for one of the low numbered rooms at the back

How is the exec. lounge?
Great. Most likely the best lounge of any IC. Very friendly service, great food selection, extremely good quality food.

Bottle of (good) champagne, fruit basket, small bottle of room perfume with a dispenser

How was the minibar?
Very good, great selection and high quality items

-Good
Club. The best of any
Good room upgrade

-Bad
Nothing

Hong Kong is expensive, but prices are in line with other similar hotels in HK

Would you return?
absolutely
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:35 pm

IC Bangkok

IC Bangkok

Yes

Booked cheapest, got upgrade to club, but no upgrade to suite (as before)

How are the rooms?
Nice, typical hotel room

How is the exec. lounge?
Nice view and setting. Service has improved over the last year or so and is barely acceptable now (compared to other ICs like Dubai, Hong Kong, Saigon). Compared to five years ago it is still pretty dismal.

Yes, bottle of red

How was the minibar?
No change to previous stays.

-Good

-Bad
Club is just average (not bad, but also not great)
Upgrade only to Club or suite (i usually put the comment in the reservation that my preference is club)

Good.

Would you return?
Yes, but I wish the would improve the club
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:41 pm

IC Shenzhen

IC Shenzhen

Yes. Two stays in the last 4 weeks, both very similar

Booked cheapest, got upgrade to a proper two room suite with club access

How are the rooms?
Good size living room and bedroom, as described before. Big bathroom with huge bathtub. Nice, but starting to show a little bit of wear.

How is the exec. lounge?
Good. Food selection is about average. Service is good, but some of the people are lacking english skills.

Small teddy bear with a key ring (firts stay two, second stay one), fruit basked, tin with 3 cookies

How was the minibar?
Average

-Good
Friendly
Good RA recognistion
Location right at a subway station (on the line between Lo Wu and the airport)
Concierge and bellboys are extremely helpful

-Bad
nothing really

Good

Would you return?
Yes
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:51 pm

IC Nha Trang

IC Nha Trang

Yes

Booked cheapest, got upgrade to the xx05 room. Asked for the extra charge for the xx04 suite. They quoted 170 US$ per night before the stay. After the first night I checked the price again and they made a very reasonable offer which I accepted.

How are the rooms?
New, modern, The xx05 is facing the ocean, but the view is limited since it has a smaller window than other rooms on that side of the building. The xx04 suite view is absolutely stunning (highly recommended to get this room). Separate bedroom, licing room and bathroom (great 270 degree ocean view even from the bathtub)

How is the exec. lounge?
Good location and great view.
Very mediocre and slow service.
Food offerings very limited and very bad quality, even with a handful of guest they were constantly out.
Management seems to be working on these issues, but until this is resolved I would never pay for club access (see my report in the master thread)

Yes, a relative useless small paper notebook.

How was the minibar?
It is average with some bigger size bottles of liquor.

-Good
Very friendly, hotel has improved a lot over the last 6 month.
Location and view is good (in the center of town)

-Bad
Club

Hotel is still relatively inexpensive, but so is everything in Nha Trang (seems they have overbuild there)

Would you return?
Yes
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:22 am

Intercontinental Davos

InterContinental Davos

What is your Priority Club status?

Yes

Booked IHG Into the nights FREE nights, received Alpine Executive Suite (= Junior Suite), free internet, free breakfast, club access and free minibar. RA heaven!!!

How are the rooms?

Here some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...ental-davos-4/

How is the exec. lounge?
The snacks were good, but overall very limited. The design, terrace is very cool and stylish.

What was your welcome gift?
Big fruit plate, chocolate and pumpkin seed oil (from styria ^^)

Did you receive fruit in the room?
A huge fruit plate

Good
  • Upgrade
  • View
  • Winter landscape
  • Alpine suite was perfect
  • RA recognition
  • Transfer service
  • Free public transport

Bad
  • Breakfast was crowded, children screaming and playing (they should open the second part of the restaurant)
  • Spa and pool is small, but in a good condition and well kept

Very high price level in high season ^^ You should use points, weekend voucher etc.

Would you return?
Yes, it's a must see!!!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:36 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
It's the hotel choice to either give you club or suite, not your choice at check in. Shanghai ICs can be strict on this because of the large number of RAs they see.
Of course it is their choice, which they made abundantly clear. However, they weren't busy-Friday night- and a "Jr. Suite" is not really a suite. I've stayed there frequently so you would think they would be a bit more flexible/generous. But, the welcome letter specifically specified that only rates of 1000 rmb NET, would receive Club access, so their "choice" is purely revenue driven, as I was offered Club access for, first 350 rmb, then 200 rmb. Passed and the front desk offered breakfast for 128 rmb, net. The Grand Hyatt is more convenient, being closer to a Metro stop, as I usually stay in Shanghai both before and after my transpac flights, and there is never a question, as DIA on Hyatt, about lounge access/breakfast/upgrades.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
Of course it is their choice, which they made abundantly clear. However, they weren't busy-Friday night- and a "Jr. Suite" is not really a suite. I've stayed there frequently so you would think they would be a bit more flexible/generous. But, the welcome letter specifically specified that only rates of 1000 rmb NET, would receive Club access, so their "choice" is purely revenue driven, as I was offered Club access for, first 350 rmb, then 200 rmb. Passed and the front desk offered breakfast for 128 rmb, net. The Grand Hyatt is more convenient, being closer to a Metro stop, as I usually stay in Shanghai both before and after my transpac flights, and there is never a question, as DIA on Hyatt, about lounge access/breakfast/upgrades.
The Ruijin is the only IC that is flexible on this. At all others you apparently need to be a very frequent stayer. That the hotel's policy is revenue driven is understandable, particular on a weekend; but making it this obvious is indeed a very forthright statement...
I'll prefer a 'private' club over those that guarantee top-levels access which can make these clubs crowded and low-quality (see some Sheratons in Shanghai) - so I'm generally fine with a RA no access policy.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
They just implemented Club or Suite in Oct 2014. I've stayed here a lot and used to get a club suite. Their policy used to be that you got club from lowest room and if you wanted club and suite you had to book a deluxe room. That has changed now though, so they will see less revenue from me, since I will just book cheapest instead of deluxe, since it doesn't add any value for me.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL MM, NH, UA, IHG Plat
IC Hong Kong

IC Hong Kong

Very, very pleased.

Booked room using PC points (free stay), got upgrade to a junior suite with club access. They said this was an exception, but obviously I was very pleased.

How are the rooms?
Very comfortable. No complaints.

How is the exec. lounge?
Excellent. They greet you at the door and then help you find a seat. In the evening they serve the drinks. Food selection was good, but not enough to make a meal.

Yes, but don't recall what it was.

How was the minibar?
Typical.

-Good
Very friendly
Nice upgrade

More than excellent on this stay.

Would you return?
Yes

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jan 20, 2015 at 9:58 am Reason: added name of property to post instead of title only
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL MM, NH, UA, IHG Plat
IC Bali Resort

IC Bali

Yes.

Booked lowest cost room, got upgrade to a duplex club suite with club access.

How are the rooms?
This is not the newest hotel, but the hotel and rooms are well maintained. While the duplex suite was large, I actually prefer a room with one level.

How is the exec. lounge?
Great breakfast, order off the menu. This is one of the nicest lounges in my view.

Yes, but not sure I recall what it was.

How was the minibar?
Good, but they did not replenish the wine. I called and asked them to replenish and they did so.

-Good
Staff were all very friendly.
Club lounge an service.
Pool area is spacious. Never seemed crowded.
Prices in hotel restaurants / bars were reasonable.

-Bad

Excellent

Would you return?
Yes

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jan 20, 2015 at 9:58 am Reason: added name of property to post instead of title only
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
InterContinental Berlin

Intercontinental Berlin

Yes, as always

Booked club room room at weekend escapade rate and received a Club senior suite.

How are the rooms?
Simply superb
Around 120sqm
Warm contemporary interior design.
One large room with dining area, seating area and desk. Bang & Olufsen television set and mini-chain
Bedroom with very comfortable bed. iPhone dock.
Flat screen television set with impressive selection of international channels
Kitchen area with Tassimo coffee machine.
Very nice bathroom with bathtub and separate shower. Agraria amenities. Natural essences set for the bath.
Separate toilet next to the dressing room.
Additional dressing room next to the bathroom.
Very quiet
Very nice panoramic view over the city (Fernsehturm, Postdamer Platz)

How is the exec. lounge?
Elegant design
Very friendly staff
Very good selection of cold and warm dishes

GOOD
- Superb suite
- Very attentive and smiling staff .
- Elegant décor
- Very pleasant club lounge

BAD
- Nothing, except that pool is still under renovation (access possible to the Pullman's pool next door)

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
Yes, definitely.

video of the Club senior suite

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.