Wiki Posts
Search

IC Phnom Penh Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So, I am planning 3 nights, arrive May 2- 5. Will we be able to see Ankor Wat as well.

Planning to stay at the IC on a paid stay.
It's one of the less-loved IC hotels, but it represents good value for a comfortable stay and very helpful staff. The biggest (for me, only) drawback is its distance from the riverside. In the immediate area there's a local market, and a warren of interesting commercial side-streets, some restaurants too. There are aways tuk-tuks waiting to take you where you want to go, but they're there because they're fairly confident they can extract premium fares from an IC guest

As for Angkor: it really is worth the visit, and you'll need a full day just to get a taste of a handful of sites within the complex. As Siem Reap isn't a rural backwater, staying a couple of nights there is no hardship: there are "boutique" style hotels as well as high-end (and comfortingly expensive!) places.

Bus or taxi represent the best ways of getting between PP and SR, though of course you fly. Five-ish hours by taxi, bus an hour longer (stops for a break on the way): there are also minivans plying the route. The bus is fine, and the hotel concierge will be able to arrange a ticket (which may, or may not, include a pick-up from the hotel).

Forget about the river boat option to SR.

The Candy guide really is a terrifically good source of information on all the practicalities of travel in Cambodia:

http://www.canbypublications.com/phnompenh/ppintro.htm
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Beside the very dated look from the outside (i was shocked at the beginning), the dated rooms (but well maintained) this is one IC I really want to visit again. I found the Club lounge fantastic, as well as the Club staff. Very small but also very empty all the time, very good service... a real oasis after a day exploring Phnom Penh. In my opinion Club is a must, I found the lobby staff not really helpful.
A really big like for the hotel when staying with Club benefits! ^
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's one of the less-loved IC hotels, but it represents good value for a comfortable stay and very helpful staff. The biggest (for me, only) drawback is its distance from the riverside. In the immediate area there's a local market, and a warren of interesting commercial side-streets, some restaurants too. There are aways tuk-tuks waiting to take you where you want to go, but they're there because they're fairly confident they can extract premium fares from an IC guest

As for Angkor: it really is worth the visit, and you'll need a full day just to get a taste of a handful of sites within the complex. As Siem Reap isn't a rural backwater, staying a couple of nights there is no hardship: there are "boutique" style hotels as well as high-end (and comfortingly expensive!) places.

Bus or taxi represent the best ways of getting between PP and SR, though of course you fly. Five-ish hours by taxi, bus an hour longer (stops for a break on the way): there are also minivans plying the route. The bus is fine, and the hotel concierge will be able to arrange a ticket (which may, or may not, include a pick-up from the hotel).

Forget about the river boat option to SR.

The Candy guide really is a terrifically good source of information on all the practicalities of travel in Cambodia:

http://www.canbypublications.com/phnompenh/ppintro.htm

Thank you very much, that is indeed what I needed to know.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So, I am planning 3 nights, arrive May 2- 5. Will we be able to see Ankor Wat as well.

Planning to stay at the IC on a paid stay.
If you are planning to visit Angkor, you need to base yourself in Siem Reap.

If you only have three days in the country, I probably wouldn't come to PP at all. It would be more productive to spend the whole time in Siem Reap.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by camsean
If you are planning to visit Angkor, you need to base yourself in Siem Reap.

If you only have three days in the country, I probably wouldn't come to PP at all. It would be more productive to spend the whole time in Siem Reap.
+ 1,000,000,
you need a full week in PP to have time to both enjoy PP and also visit Angkor in Siem Reap, ideally a minimum of 2 full days needed in SR and probably 2nights accomodation

If based in PP you need to
DAY #1) fly down one afternoon to SR and stay the night in SR
DAY #2) See Angkor on the second full day , and stay the night in SR
THEN
DAY #3) maybe do half day Angkor follow up visit, and fly back to PP in evening

SR is an international airport too and if visit length choice is just one of either PP/SR then choose SR for Angkor experience
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by fairchecker
Beside the very dated look from the outside (i was shocked at the beginning), the dated rooms (but well maintained) this is one IC I really want to visit again. I found the Club lounge fantastic, as well as the Club staff. Very small but also very empty all the time, very good service... a real oasis after a day exploring Phnom Penh. In my opinion Club is a must, I found the lobby staff not really helpful.
A really big like for the hotel when staying with Club benefits! ^
I was there without club lounge and wouldn't return. If you are a nostalgic person you might like the dated look...
Especially if you are staying only a few days in PP I would choose a hotel closer to Riverside.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:51 am

So basically after reading all of these posts, I am seriously regretting my decision to jump on the PB and booking tickets for my family for 5 nights... Hong Kong Air only had 2 promo rate tickets left so I pulled the trigger without my usual habit of exhaustive research. Is there any redeeming quality about the IC or Phnom Penh that anyone can suggest so I can salvage this trip? I'll be travelling with a 2 and 5 year old. We go leisurely, so usuall only one activity a day is fine. I was thinking about pool time for the kids and going to the Palace one day, and Kids City one day. That leaves me with 3 more days looking for child friendly activities...

Help?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by baroqen
So basically after reading all of these posts, I am seriously regretting my decision to jump on the PB and booking tickets for my family for 5 nights... Hong Kong Air only had 2 promo rate tickets left so I pulled the trigger without my usual habit of exhaustive research. Is there any redeeming quality about the IC or Phnom Penh that anyone can suggest so I can salvage this trip? I'll be travelling with a 2 and 5 year old. We go leisurely, so usuall only one activity a day is fine. I was thinking about pool time for the kids and going to the Palace one day, and Kids City one day. That leaves me with 3 more days looking for child friendly activities...

Help?
Phnom Penh is one of my favourite destinations, so it's with heavy heart I'd suggest you ditch the PB reservation and think of somewhere else.

It's really not a place i'd want to be stuck in with kids, and although i like the IC, it's way out of any area remotely interesting for children. There's a pool, but it's small and not particularly child-friendly.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
You could do a river cruise Tonalesap/Mekong Rivers. The large boats with roofs over the deck are chartable with Captain/crew (5 years ago $24-$28US, 4-5 hours). Just go to the promenade in the Riverside area inquire/negotiate with the captains. Bring food/refreshments and enjoy. I've done this a couple of times makes for pleasant day.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:20 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Phnom Penh is one of my favourite destinations, so it's with heavy heart I'd suggest you ditch the PB reservation and think of somewhere else.

It's really not a place i'd want to be stuck in with kids, and although i like the IC, it's way out of any area remotely interesting for children. There's a pool, but it's small and not particularly child-friendly.
I would have to disagree, the pool is not that small at all, although it's not exactly a wading pool at 1.6m deep in places as far as the main pool goes.

There are also plenty of things to do with kids:

http://travelmamas.com/top-things-to...ia-phnom-penh/

Yes many will be not close to the hotel, but transport is easy enough, and there are plenty of sights to enjoy while in the traffic. I finished by PB stay this week, was solo but was given a junior suite and upgraded to the lounge for $60, breakfast in the restaurant is great, with a daily changing offering.

Last edited by markis10; Sep 11, 2016 at 6:44 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by markis10
I would have to disagree, the pool is not that small at all, although it's not exactly a wading pool at 1.6m deep in places as far as the main pool goes.

[IMG]

Yes many will be not close to the hotel, but transport is easy enough, and there are plenty of sights to enjoy while in the traffic. I finished by PB stay this week, was solo but was given a junior suite and upgraded to the lounge for $60, breakfast in the restaurant is great, with a daily changing offering.
Is that $60 per day? Seems a bit steep considering you can get entire rooms downtown for that price.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:19 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Explore
Is that $60 per day? Seems a bit steep considering you can get entire rooms downtown for that price.
I thought it was good value given the food and drinks on offer, and the fact you could take breakfast in the restaurant which has a good variety of food. Sure food and alcohol/drinks are cheap, as indeed accomodation is generally not in PP, but I was after a lazy holiday that involved lounging by the pool or in the room, and at $90 a night including food etc I thought it was great.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:44 pm

Cambodia was excellent! We stayed at the Intercontinental Phnom Penh when we were there in their Junior Suite and absolutely loved it! The club lounge wasn't big, but the staff there was definitely the highlight! You can check out some of my photos here:
https://buddhaexplores.com/2017/11/2...-hotel-review/

As a suggestion for travelers, I definitely think people should visit the Cheong Ek killing fields if they get the chance to:
https://buddhaexplores.com/2017/12/0...photo-gallery/

The night market is a bit touristy, but I think it's still worth a visit just for the atmosphere:
https://buddhaexplores.com/2017/11/2...e-food-review/

Moderators Note:
The hotel is no longer an IC, therefore this thread will be closed

FLYGVA
co-moderaotr IHG FORUM

Last edited by FLYGVA; Nov 5, 2018 at 11:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.