Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And the new midscale IHG brand is "Avid"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I can just imagine the first problems with this new brand.

"Avoid Avid"
"I'm Livid with Avid"
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
I don't know how you can go lower than Holiday Inn Express without having things like shared bathrooms.
Positioning below Travelodge?

signol
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
For me, Avid is the company running the music writing software called Sibelius. It sounds wrong as a hotel brand name, as wrong as it with music software.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
I don't know how you can go lower than Holiday Inn Express without having things like shared bathrooms.
It sounds like you never stay anywhere that's lower than Holiday Inn Express? Because you don't seem to be aware of how wide a range there is between Holiday Inn Express and what you just suggested (which sounds like a hostel or maybe a B&B).

Gosh, even Motel 6 doesn't have shared bathrooms, and I don't know anyone who's familiar with both who wouldn't say that Motel 6 is several steps below Holiday Inn Express.

In between Motel 6 and Holiday Inn Express are Days Inn and Super 8, and a bit above them Comfort Inn and Quality Inn and Sleep Inn and La Quinta, for example.

And none of these have shared bathrooms!

The obvious place to go lower (without going to Motel 6 level) is to have a simpler breakfast that still has some items that appeal to many people. For example, many of those brands I just listed have only one or two hot items at breakfast (some sort of eggs and maybe also some sort of meat), whereas the HIXs I've stayed at lately seem to try for 4 or 5 or 6. HIX is famous for some warm pastry (whose name I forget), I've not seen that at any of those other brands I mentioned.

And the average La Quinta may have rooms that are about as nice as Holiday Inn Express (or maybe I've only stayed at the nicer ones?) but the only eggs available at most La Quinta locations are hard-boiled (in which case there are probably no served-hot items at all, unless maybe prepared oatmeal).

So there are lots of things possible in between a Holiday Inn Express breakfast and just coffee and donuts.

And IMHO the breakfast is the most obvious consistent difference between many of the lower-end midscale and budget brands.

(Oh, sorry, I didn't see you appear to be based in Europe. Ok, then, does Ibis have shared bathrooms?)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:45 pm

Hi -

And for those wondering about the insect spray angle .....

Avid Miticide, Avid 0.15 EC Miticide Insecticide
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/av...de-p-2330.html
Rating: 4,9 - ‎29 reviews - ‎US$94,95
Avid 0.15 EC Miticide Insecticide is the best insecticide for mites and leaf miners. The label for Avid now includes the suppression of whiteflies, aphids, and thrips. ..... pesticide, chemical and bug killer treatment products to spray, exterminate .
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch

(Oh, sorry, I didn't see you appear to be based in Europe. Ok, then, does Ibis have shared bathrooms?)
I think there are still some Hotel F1 properties out there in the Accor tier below Ibis Budget and IIRC they're bathroom down the hall affairs.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:23 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It sounds like you never stay anywhere that's lower than Holiday Inn Express?....

The obvious place to go lower (without going to Motel 6 level) is to have a simpler breakfast that still has some items that appeal to many people. For example...
And IMHO the breakfast is the most obvious consistent difference between many of the lower-end midscale and budget brands.

OK, fine, since this brand appears to be launching in the US only for the moment, that was a bit of a silly thing to say. I haven't stayed in any of those brands nor have I been to the US for 10+ years, so I shall just have to accept what you posted.

But from a European and Asian perspective, I would actually rate Ibis above HIX. (Not yet stayed in a styles or budget though)

As for the breakfast, HIXs vary a lot already, some I've stayed in had better offerings than certain CPs while the worst, I think I ate a plain piece of bread with some water then went somewhere else. I don't know if any European hotel would ever just have coffee and donuts...

So I guess I agree with chongcao and the OP when they say

Originally Posted by chongcao
I would not be surprised to see a lot of European HIX reflag to this brand when it is introduced here.
Originally Posted by chrism20
There is definitely a market for a decent soundproofed hotel with a better quality breakfast than HIX - both of which I would say puts it ahead of HIX rather than a price point lower than it.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
All I can think of when I see this is direct rip off of Starwood's Aloft concept which has been copied by Marriott with Moxy and Hilton with Tru. With Avid and Tru they even went as for as to copy to design of the building.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:36 pm

Looks a lot like a HIX but more "millennial" and worse breakfast.

https://www.ihg.com/avidhotels/hotels/us/en/reservation
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Looks a lot like a HIX but more "millennial" and worse breakfast.

https://www.ihg.com/avidhotels/hotels/us/en/reservation
Actually, for me, not that much different than HIX, since the only eggs I eat at HIX are the hard-boiled ones (the other option only being powdered ones ), and I never eat any of the "hot" food items, and Avid also has hard-boiled eggs.

Of course, that's the HIX to date. HIX is supposedly improving the hot items at some point somehow, but I haven't seen that yet.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:30 pm

It really is a Tru clone. Which IMO isn’t necessarily a bad option for a night or two if you’re price sensitive. We tried the Salt Lake City airport area Tru earlier this year- nice toiletries in the dispensers and good coffee and the only real complaint was poor soundproofing. If avid handles noise concerns better, I can see using them regularly for 1-2 night stays
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SansSerif
Design mock ups are reminiscent of a prison. A nice Norwegian prison, but still.
Actually, more like a college dorm room. If the price is right ($75-80), I'm OK with it.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by christianj
All I can think of when I see this is direct rip off of Starwood's Aloft concept which has been copied by Marriott with Moxy and Hilton with Tru. With Avid and Tru they even went as for as to copy to design of the building.
yes this is exactly what they were going for ( read copying ). The aloft has been very successful but I think it's because it has a nitch and of course the W name... "can't afford $250 a night but it's kinda like I'm staying at the W" and/or a hotel kind of like the W but in a smaller market that can't sustain a W.

Now, the question is : what is the avid's nitch? expresser than holiday inn express???
It does not appear to have anything distinct- like aloft's loft style room & social area with bar always including pool table - and I thought indigo was already IHG's version of W type hotel so other than starting another brand just to start one I just don't get it. Unless IHG is really going for market share below HIX level and if so I'll put this brand on the unselect in search option along with CW suites...

Last edited by somedudefromFLa; Aug 15, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:08 pm

My theory is that they're trying to build brand loyalty in under 30s that want to travel and want to stay in hotels that have more of an interesting design perspective than a Super 8 or Sleep Inn, but have a travel budget impacted by student loan payments. So IHG starts them with avid and hopes they stick with them through Indigo, Even and Kimpton as their financial situation improves, just like Tru/Home2 seems to be a long term feeder for Canopy/Curio/Tapestry/Doubletree for Hilton.
chrism20 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:37 am
Original Poster

It does seem a rip off from Aloft, Moxy, Tru etc and these are definitely aimed at younger segments of society.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the first one is now open or is about to open so it will be interesting to see the first few reviews of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.