Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New Points & Cash 20% Off (cash) Bookings thru 9/30/17. IHG Creditcard Members Only.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Points & Cash 20% Off (cash) Bookings thru 9/30/17. IHG Creditcard Members Only.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

Appears to be a new promotion for IHG creditcard members only.
20% off the cash portion of Points & Cash bookings.
For check-in now through September 30, 2017 (although the check-out date can be later).

IHG® Rewards Club Reward Nights
As a credit cardmember, you are eligible for a 20% discount on Points & Cash bookings.

This came up in a search today. Was not there yesterday. I haven't received any details on the date this has to be booked by. My IHG MasterCard is my default credit card on my account.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I keep trying to book this through the website but it doesn't work. It goes into this mode where it wants me to buy points to book just with points rather than with points and cash.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drminn
I keep trying to book this through the website but it doesn't work. It goes into this mode where it wants me to buy points to book just with points rather than with points and cash.
Not having any problem here. Just tried it through multiple browsers (IE, Edge, Chrome, Safari, Firefox), too.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the HU.

Are points purchased this way elligible for 5x like either IHG bookings?

That would be a nice way to top off an account if one's near Spire status for the year.

EDIT There appear to be conflicting data points on this. This older piece discusses exactly this issue, with only 1x granted: http://travelwithgrant.boardingarea....us-ihg-points/ .

This newer data points was positive at 5x, however: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/pur...ent-3278130252 .

I wonder if the coding varies by hotel...?

Last edited by DaveH; Aug 23, 2017 at 9:55 am Reason: Other links / data points
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveH
Thanks for the HU.

Are points purchased this way elligible for 5x like either IHG bookings?

That would be a nice way to top off an account if one's near Spire status for the year.

EDIT There appear to be conflicting data points on this. This older piece discusses exactly this issue, with only 1x granted: http://travelwithgrant.boardingarea....us-ihg-points/ .

This newer data points was positive at 5x, however: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/pur...ent-3278130252 .
I wonder if the coding varies by hotel...?
I got 5X points for a $230.00 Points & Cash transaction just over a week ago.

IHG REWARDS CLUB
This transaction posted on Aug 14, 2017
Additional merchant and transaction information
888-XXXXXXX, GA XXXXXXXXX US
Online, Mail, or Telephone transaction
Rewards earned with this transaction
How we calculate rewards

+ 5X IHG Rewards Club pts earned on your stay
Total Points
Print activity
about this transaction
Sale

Last edited by CalItalian; Aug 23, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by drminn
That's essentially what you're doing. Buying points with the cash portion and simultaneously booking the room entirely with points. That's why you get all points back (and no cash refund) when you cancel such a booking.

Is that what you mean? Or is it trying to get you to pay whatever price they actually sell points at?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Finally got an email from IHG about this offer today.

Now through September 30, you’ll save 20% on the cash portion of any Points & Cash booking. Plus, you’ll earn 5 points per $1 spent at any IHG hotel worldwide when you use your IHG® Rewards Club Credit Card to pay for your stay.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver
When you click on terms and conditions, you get the following message, which clearly states that this discount is only for spire members!
"20% discount is offered at time of booking and only pertains to the cash cost of bookings.
Stay dates include: 7/31/2017-9/30-2017
• Must be a Spire Elite member at the time of booking to be eligible for offer.
• *Bookings for The Venetian® and The Palazzo® hotels are excluded from discounts.
• This offer is subject to the general IHG® Rewards Club membership Terms and Conditions."
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by larrythai
When you click on terms and conditions, you get the following message, which clearly states that this discount is only for spire members!
"20% discount is offered at time of booking and only pertains to the cash cost of bookings.
• *Bookings for The Venetian® and The Palazzo® hotels are excluded from discounts.
• This offer is subject to the general IHG® Rewards Club membership Terms and Conditions."
I'm platinum and I get the discount.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I'm platinum and I get the discount.
Chris....how and when did the discount appear for you?
Thanks,
Larry
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Is there a general link for this or is it targeted? I try to book Points & Cash but I don't see any 20% discount reflected (granted, P&C cash portions vary with property). Platinum here.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thealphalion
Is there a general link for this or is it targeted? I try to book Points & Cash but I don't see any 20% discount reflected (granted, P&C cash portions vary with property). Platinum here.
Although I am a Spire Elite, this is for IHG Rewards Creditcard holders which I have and is on my profile.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by larrythai
Mine says the same in the T&C's BUT this clearly did not start until 8/21. I made a number of bookings between 7/31 and 8/20, including 8/20, and it was not reflected on my account during any of that time.

It also says this during a search:
As a credit cardmember, you are eligible for a 20% discount on Points & Cash bookings.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CalItalian
Although I am a Spire Elite, this is for IHG Rewards Creditcard holders which I have and is on my profile.
I have the Chase IHG credit card also, and its the default card on my profile.
The T&C says Spire Elite only, but looks like there's at least one datapoint previously that a Platinum got the offer too.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thealphalion
I have the Chase IHG credit card also, and its the default card on my profile.
The T&C says Spire Elite only, but looks like there's at least one datapoint previously that a Platinum got the offer too.
And again, if you do a search for Points & Cash this is what you will see:

And the dates are wrong on the T&C's. This promo did not start until 8/21. I know that for a fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.