Why I'm switching to IHG (after SPG dies)

Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I would actually like to see Hyatt meege with IHG, or another possible suitor. Hyatt's new "World of Hyatt" is a complete joke.

can you point to any area where ICH program offers more than hyatt?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Welcome to IHG! I personally think it's a great program and spend 200+ nights/year in IHG properties. If you're a road warrior it's the perfect program because there's a hotel in nearly every destination you could think of, tons of points earning opportunities, and an extremely rewarding Royal Ambassador program if you stay at Intercontinental properties frequently.

Agreed that elite benefits aren't substantial for the normal IHG tiers (Gold-Spire), but earning points on work travel is huge when it comes time to book a vacation stay, and IHG is very generous with points. I earn points on business travel by staying in HI, HIX and CP, and then redeem them at fantastic IC hotels and resorts around the world.

I've tried other programs, namely Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt and wasn't able to find the same consistency when it came to hotel location and points earning. So I stay exclusively at IHG properties unless there is a very advantageous promotion at another brand and I've already re-qualified for Spire and RA.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
IHG works well if you like staying a lot in cheap properties of dubious quality. Most of the brands are incomparable to Starwood or Marriott which are higher quality chains across the board.

The lack of structured loyalty programme with clear benefits (including defined upgrade path and club), make IHG stays way too random for me. Even as a long term RA I am finding IC's are losing their lustre exacerbated by recent scheme changes.

IHG is great if you like to stay at cheap often low quality properties in a lot of locations, don't have much expectations of status and are content to rapidly earn room redemptions for basic rooms but with tight reward inventory capacity control (there is no equivalent "no blackout" policy to SPG).

To my mind IHG Rewards is not a good substitute for a proper hotel loyalty programme like HHonors, SPG or Marriott Rewards. That and the relatively lowered property portfolio really means that IHG properties tend to be my third choice globally except if there is an IC available.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What scares me atoub IHG is the reports of people making reservations through the IHG website and later learning that they didn't earn any points or credit toward elite status because the rate (AAA etc.) was "too cheap."
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by hhoope01
IHG used to be my main secondary chain. While even today, they provide very limited elite benefits, they used to have very good redemption prices to go along with their better promotions.

But over the last 10 years or so, they've pulled in the reins on some of the promotion opportunities while at the same time sky-rocketing a lot of the hotel redemption prices.

I used to be able to get oceanfront hotels for 15K/night then over a few year basis those prices went up to 45K/night. For me, now, IHG redemptions cost a whole lot more than they used to, I can't take advantage of as many bonus promotions as I used to and they still don't provide hardly any elite benefits. This is why I dropped from Spire to Plat this year. I moved my secondary program to SPG (with Marriott being my primary).
IHG is still my secondary program; however, I have noticed the same redemption point cost inflation as hhoope1 noted. In major cities I am finding the IHG point cost to be higher than the Marriott point cost for the equivalent property class. In those cities, I am also finding many of the properties limit the availability to single bed rooms even when rooms with two beds are still available for cash at standard rates. That doesn't work well for me as a family of 3. Mom and Dad like a separate bed from our pre-teen daughter and vice versa.

In less urban areas, especially along highways, I am finding plenty of availability at HIX and HI properties though the average point cost per night is still higher than Marriott. Even though Marriott coverage along highways and less urban areas has improved greatly over the past 3 to 5 years, IHG still has much better coverage there.

So why stay with IHG as a secondary program? Hilton's point redemption costs are even worse than IHG, Hyatt doesn't have enough presence and they also recently totally redid and devalued their program. So even though I am getting less value out of IHG than I had hoped, it is still my best option for a secondary program. If they add in Kimpton properties and revise the redemption policies to universally include the option for rooms with two beds, the value would be substantially better. Point cost per night is still a concern, but at least as of the moment, the IHG promo's are both more numerous and more generous than Marriott's which helps to balance the equation. YMMV....

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Jun 22, 2017 at 7:00 am
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:06 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What scares me atoub IHG is the reports of people making reservations through the IHG website and later learning that they didn't earn any points or credit toward elite status because the rate (AAA etc.) was "too cheap."
Actually, those rarely occur, except for the Entertainment Card rates which are specifically excluded from earning. Easy enough to get it corrected with a phone call.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:30 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I spend a lot of time thinking about which hotel chain will be my main one after Marriott completes the SPG takeover. I am working under the assumption that SPG will not be as good as it is today. To be clear, I choose SPG mainly because I like the points for airline transfers. The fact that we have a SPG credit card in Canada also helps.

So why IHG:
1) I can buy Ambassador status
2) I like the hotels more than SPG's. I mainly stay at Sheratons and Westins.
3) I get more room upgrades, even at non-Intercontinentals
4) I like the promotions. FYI SPG hasn't offered me a "challenge to get points" in over a year.
5) I like the brands, especially Indigo

There are more reasons...but those would be the main ones.

For background I stay at hotels enough to get mid-tier status.

And I'm writing this post from the Indigo in Wan Chai HKG. Got upgraded to a suite so perhaps my views are a bit biased right now.
I have both IHG AMB/Spire (previously RA) and SPG PLT50, so I tend to agree with most of your points. However, the more I look at MR, I see some things that I like.

For example, there are some better ratios on the free nights plus airline miles awards, especially for UA, on MR with 7 nights vs 5 nights on SPG, though if you're just interested in the miles alone, not so much. Also, in a few places I stay often, i.e. Phuket, I see more MR options especially on the north side of the island, Mai Khao especially, to stay out of the crazy Patong area. Though I do like the HIR Mai Khao property and regularly get great UPG's there.

All programs seem to be at or going to higher night counts for top status. MR offers the shortcut to PLT, so that's another plus. Some IHG properties are marginal, especially in the US. I recently stayed at the HI Charlseton Riverside and it needs a complete renovation. Price was decent though.

So, as with all things, it depends on what you like.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Some Interesting perspectives here. More negative towards IHG than I expected and the positive ones are mostly lukewarm.

As with most things it depends on your specific situation (where you travel, how often, how you use your points, etc.).

IHG has been pretty good to me. Since it is my current secondary program maybe that will change when it becomes my primary.

Oh, in my list I forgot to mention the BOGO with Ambassador. I like things that pay for themselves.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:00 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond

Oh, in my list I forgot to mention the BOGO with Ambassador. I like things that pay for themselves.
Mind you BOGOs are not really BOGOs, when you can normally get a rate that means your only saving 25% off best available, if the BOGO rate is actually available. ON the other side of the coin, the chain of cancellation timings for Marriott is of concern, I struggle with the newly accepted 24 hour timeframe, 48 hours for a flexible booking, bugger that.

Last edited by markis10; Jun 25, 2017 at 3:03 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I spend a lot of time thinking about which hotel chain will be my main one after Marriott completes the SPG takeover. I am working under the assumption that SPG will not be as good as it is today.
So, you're taking action without information, based on a presumption? To be polite, that's not exactly convincingly reasoned.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
So, you're taking action without information, based on a presumption? To be polite, that's not exactly convincingly reasoned.
Especially when you have the certainty that IHG Rewards is far far worse than SPG is today unless earning base room redemptions with unpredictable availability and no tangible status benefits are your primary motivation (and if they were you wouldn't be a typical SPG status member).
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:18 am

Some Interesting perspectives here. More negative towards IHG than I expected and the positive ones are mostly lukewarm.

As with most things it depends on your specific situation (where you travel, how often, how you use your points, etc.).

IHG has been pretty good to me. Since it is my current secondary program maybe that will change when it becomes my primary.

Lukewarm because IHG has been known for IT problems (especially with their more complicated promos,) and some of the poorest CS around, especially compared to SPG and Hyatt. I like their reach and pricing, but it's hard to get excited about any chain in general. Best to find the properties you like (I prefer the Asian prop's especially the IC's,) in the areas you travel. I'm retired, so I'm paying 100% out-of-pocket, so I tend to be concerned more with cost, but value received is a very close second.

And, yes the BOGO's really only get you 25% to 33% off compared to the discounted rates, as the AMB weekend rates applicable are higher, usually. But even that is usually enough of a discount to make them worthwhile. Especially if you select the higher room categories.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
can you point to any area where ICH program offers more than hyatt?
Paid Ambassador status gives me valuable perks and I don't have to qualify for anything. And considering the weekend night certificate it pays for itself.

Also, in locations that have top Intercontinental properties, they are usually comparable to the Hyatt and Starwood offerings, and in some cases better (e.g. Hong Kong, London).

Most of my stays are at higher end, non point earning hotels. But, I do dabble in R-C/SPG/Marriott, Intercontinental, and Hyatt. I also like GHA discovery as I am a fan of Anantara (no points but upgrades) and Shangri-La Golden Circle.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I find it hard to imagine an SPG/Hyatt loyalist ever being happy with IHG as their new primary program. Presumably the love for SPG comes from elite status treatment, as it surely doesn't come from good redemption value at high-end properties.

IHG just simply doesn't do elite status well. Sure you get tons of points, which you can convert into free nights at increasingly outrageous rates (in points terms) and that's assuming that a popular property even releases more than the minimum # of rooms on points. No status benefits also means paying for breakfast, lounge, etc. or making alternative arrangements. Show up to an IC without Ambassador (or RA) and your room will be facing the rubbish bins or parking lot, no matter your IHG status...

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Stick with the combined SPG/Marriott until further notice. Most public comments from Marriott execs suggest that they are VERY AWARE of not wanting to annoy the expensively-acquired "rabid" SPG loyalists...
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
IHG works well if you like staying a lot in cheap properties of dubious quality. Most of the brands are incomparable to Starwood or Marriott which are higher quality chains across the board.

The lack of structured loyalty programme with clear benefits (including defined upgrade path and club), make IHG stays way too random for me. Even as a long term RA I am finding IC's are losing their lustre exacerbated by recent scheme changes.

IHG is great if you like to stay at cheap often low quality properties in a lot of locations, don't have much expectations of status and are content to rapidly earn room redemptions for basic rooms but with tight reward inventory capacity control (there is no equivalent "no blackout" policy to SPG).

To my mind IHG Rewards is not a good substitute for a proper hotel loyalty programme like HHonors, SPG or Marriott Rewards. That and the relatively lowered property portfolio really means that IHG properties tend to be my third choice globally except if there is an IC available.
Agreed. I solely like Intercontinental and more recently Indigo. If/when they integrate Kimpton they may start building something there. So they remain a tertiary program for me, mainly garnering attention due to Intercontinental and Plat cc status (which really provides little except one free night & the 2pm checkout which I like).

Until I see benefit integration I see no point to switch primary chain. Starwood remains intact and I am using and loving all the benefits they provide and will continue to do so until the last day. I simply burn my SPG points quicker now so I am not caught with a bunch post integration and possible devaluation.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I find it hard to imagine an SPG/Hyatt loyalist ever being happy with IHG as their new primary program. Presumably the love for SPG comes from elite status treatment, as it surely doesn't come from good redemption value at high-end properties.

IHG just simply doesn't do elite status well. Sure you get tons of points, which you can convert into free nights at increasingly outrageous rates (in points terms) and that's assuming that a popular property even releases more than the minimum # of rooms on points. No status benefits also means paying for breakfast, lounge, etc. or making alternative arrangements. Show up to an IC without Ambassador (or RA) and your room will be facing the rubbish bins or parking lot, no matter your IHG status...

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Stick with the combined SPG/Marriott until further notice. Most public comments from Marriott execs suggest that they are VERY AWARE of not wanting to annoy the expensively-acquired "rabid" SPG loyalists...
Well said and agreed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.