Deemed to be a no-show at HIX using points

Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Deemed to be a no-show at HIX using points

Stay 1 :

- Booked a redemption a few weeks in advance
- Shortly after midnight I checked in
- 11am I checked out and inexperienced receptionist couldn't find my booking but asked if I had anything to pay, to which I said no and left
- A day or so later I noticed the points for the stay had been recredited to my IHG account
- Then a no-show charge for one night appeared on credit card statement
- Called hotel to protest and they refunded this charge and nothing was said about the points ie I kept them

Stay 2 in different hotel (this week):

- Booked a redemption a few days in advance
- 6pm on day of arrival, called reception to say I would arrive after midnight
- 8pm received email to say amenity points had been awarded
- 11pm I called again to say I would arrive around 2am
- 2am I checked in without issue
- 11am I checked out and receptionist seemed a bit confused about whether I had to pay but I told her I used points
- Have just noticed that the points for the stay have been recredited to my IHG account!

I guess they will now try to charge my credit card as a no-show. The hotel was completely full so they would probably have got a lot from IHG for my stay.

What is the mechanism for no-show redemptions, does the system automatically return points at midnight or something? And where a hotel has returned points in error, can they easily take them back from the customer?

And what is the logic in giving a customer their points back but taking an amount of money where the customer has no way of knowing how much that will be before they decide not to show?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: IHG Spire elite, Marriott Gold
I checked in late for a point booking once, this was in milan, they appear confused when I check out, apparently the system think I should spend another night at the hotel.

I would except it was pouring rain in milan that day, else I was tempted to check myself back in.

it was a point break booking too, I was happy with my milan assago stay. very nice people.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
A similar thing happened to me 18 months ago. I had a points reservation and arrived around 3am, having put a note in the reservation that I would arrive no earlier than 2:30am. Well, the night manager didn't pay attention to that note and cancelled my reservation around midnight, deeming me a no-show. Thankfully they still had a room for me, though I got the very last one she said. Amid the confusion my points were returned but not deducted again, and I never paid a cash bill either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.