Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beachmouse
Copying over the usual promotion info to the new thread:

For newcomers to IHG promotions, note that Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn (including Holiday Inn Resorts) are two different brand categories for these things. If your dashboard says 'stay at a Holiday Inn Express' as one of the tasks and you stay at a Holiday Inn, it will NOT credit for the Holiday Inn Express task. (and vice versa)

At IHG, points + cash stays are simply points stays where you bought some of the points at the time of the reservation. Once you finish the reservation, a points + cash stay shows as a points stay. Thus points + cash stays only count for tasks where they are specified, and not other tasks.

Doing a points + cash booking and then cancelling it does NOT trigger a 'buy points' task completion.

The 'pay with your IHG credit card' task has typically been very slow to post. If it does within about two weeks of completing a stay, that's relatively quick, and it will often be several weeks beyond that, depending on when your statement closing date is and how IHG's system sweep is timed.

Some offers require booking within the promotion period in addition to staying during the promotion period.

Registration & dashboard link:

https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/offers/q2accelerate2017/registration
Print Wikipost

IHG Accelerate 2Q 2017 (15th MAY to 31st AUG)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
Stayed from 5/23-5/24. Points posted on 5/25. On 5/31 my Stay Once Get 2,500 and Early Stay Bonus posted but the bonus for staying and paying with the IHG CC bonus have not. I guess I'll wait until my statement closes to see if it posts. If not, guess I'll have to fight IHG. Hey, it's not Accelerate if you're not fighting with IHG, right?
I got the CC points along with the Stay Once bonus.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:35 pm

Stayed from 5/23-5/24. Points posted on 5/25. On 5/31 my Stay Once Get 2,500 and Early Stay Bonus posted but the bonus for staying and paying with the IHG CC bonus have not. I guess I'll wait until my statement closes to see if it posts. If not, guess I'll have to fight IHG. Hey, it's not Accelerate if you're not fighting with IHG, right?
That was my question as well. The Stay Once and Early Stay bonuses posted, but not the cc.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 52pickup
That was my question as well. The Stay Once and Early Stay bonuses posted, but not the cc.
Same here (except that the points for the completed tasks haven't posted yet, but the tasks are checked off on the Accelerate page). My credit card statement hasn't closed yet.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:30 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
All the Accelerate points usually get posted a week to 10 days AFTER the main earning points get posted.... IHG is already slow enough to post those regular points....
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: BA exec club, Flying Blue, VFC, IHG Rewards, EasyJet Plus
My dashboard updated about a week after my most recent stay, and the points posted a few days after that. Except for the "pay with IHG CC" which didn't work for me last time either and reading other posts it's very hit-and-miss! But I'm not really bothered this quarter. The one stay got me 3 of the 6 tasks, to get the others I would have to book with cash and points (which is often more expensive than just cash!) and stay a total of 15 nights and make 5 bookings with the App. We'll see if I get an easier target next time for not bothering with this one!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Something is definitely wonky with qualifying for App booking bonus. A stay from 2-weeks ago has triggered other bonuses, but not for the App, even though I made a point of booking it that way, and took screenshots.

The same thing happened in the Q1 Accelerate promotion, which is why I went the extra step of taking screenshots this time around.

Anyone else having issues with this? If I get to the end of the promotion period without making more App bookings, then I'll go back and make a support request, but hoping to avoid the hassle.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The only way to get better offers is to stay less (but for how long?).
After 2 or 3 accelerate promos I skipped, I finally got a more reasonable one. In between I almost exclusively stayed on points or other hotels.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
If I achieve my accelerate target, is the next quarter's and the following quarter's challenges likely to get harder?

I'm wondering as I would rather not bother with 2 mattress runs this quarter even though I stand to gain if it's at the expense of harder future achievements.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: DL Gold
Am I right to assume that for these offers a stay far out in December with a flexible rate should be enough?

Travel with the IHG® App

Book 2 stay(s) with the IHG® App and earn 4,800 bonus points.

Earn More, Faster

Earn 3,600 bonus points when you book 1 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Daoane
Am I right to assume that for these offers a stay far out in December with a flexible rate should be enough?

Travel with the IHG® App

Book 2 stay(s) with the IHG® App and earn 4,800 bonus points.

Earn More, Faster

Earn 3,600 bonus points when you book 1 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster.
have you check the T & Cs for each specific task as my Earn more, faster task says I have to consume my stays between 15 May to 31 Aug
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hightide
If I achieve my accelerate target, is the next quarter's and the following quarter's challenges likely to get harder?

I'm wondering as I would rather not bother with 2 mattress runs this quarter even though I stand to gain if it's at the expense of harder future achievements.
It's likely but not certain. For example, if you do your current accelerate tasks only during the last days of this cycle, your next cycle is not likely to be harder, but the one after that is more likely to harder. (Note I said tasks not target. Ie, if you have to do 5 nights and you do 4 nights early and 1 night late, that doesn't help. If you do all 5 nights during the last of the week of the promo, that's when it wouldn't affect the very next promo cycle at all. But again, it could affect subsequent ones, just not immediately.)

Ie, there's some relationship between how much you stay and how much harder the tasks get, but it's not clear how quick that relationship is. Some people feel that summer is compared against last summer, fall is compared against last fall, etc, but I don't think anything's proven other than that they set up your tasks months in advance so that things you do very late in the previous cycle don't register yet.

So I'd say unless you're desperate for the points now, it's probably not worth mattress runs.

But the other point I want to make is that it's your overall stays, not just how much of your target you achieve, that's likely to affect subsequent promos. So don't do paid stays that have nothing to do with promo, either, or that the promo doesn't earn enough points for, because that'll make your promos in the future worse, too.

It's ironic that IHG has set up these Accelerate promos so that the best way to get lots of points relative your cash outlay is to rarely stay (paid) at IHG hotels. I guess they care mostly about people who don't care about cash outlay (because their employer is paying), or else think people won't figure out that staying less pays more?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 5, 2017 at 9:05 am
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Saral
have you check the T & Cs for each specific task as my Earn more, faster task says I have to consume my stays between 15 May to 31 Aug
And my book twice with the app task also says I have to consume the stays between 15 May to 31 Aug.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by hightide

In addition to what sdsearch wrote a few posts up, which I agree with, I recommend you consider how much you stand to gain from those mattress runs. If the gain is significant, and/or the mattress runs are not pure mattress runs but really just discretionary leisure trips, it may be worth doing. The difference a few extra nights now makes in terms of your next offer is likely to be small.

For example, if you've stayed sporadically in the past and have a sweet offer now that maxes out after 5 nights, staying 5 nights on this offer is likely to cause your next offer to max out at 7 nights. It could be a tad higher but it's not going to be a crazy jump up like 15. Even 10 is very unlikely, speaking from experience. You've got to decide if that small and not-guaranteed loss of potential value in the future is worth more than the points you stand to earn in the current promo.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:00 pm

Thanks for the detailed info sdsearch and darthbimmer

If doh-auh flights are cancelled, I will have to re-route my flights departing in a few weeks time, which means I will actually have stays I need while in the Middle East.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:07 am

Data point for stay points, dashboard update, and accelerate points:

Stay: 5/27-5/29
Qualifying stay points posted: 5/30
Accelerate dashboard updated: evening of 6/6 or morning of 6/7
Accelerate points posted: TBD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.