Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ihg reward points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Poster

ihg reward points

I recently found out I had lost 480000 points for inactivity. Any advice on getting them back. I sent a note to IHG consumer relations they replied there was no way to restore after expiration
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Oh, crikey, that's a painful loss, but I do think it's a loss.

Alas, IHG isn't as customer-centric as its competition and its customer services department definitely tends to be marked by a do nothing, rules is rules approach, unless it's their properties breaching the rules, of course.

Beg, plead, promise your first-born, though I doubt it'll bring back those points, it's worth a shot, assuming you enjoy begging with little hope of reward...
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:04 pm

I had 255000 points redeemed from my account without my knowledge. Apparently someone got into the account and redeemed for giftcards. Called IHG and they were looking into it. Points still have not been reinstated, it has been about a week.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:46 pm

My God that was painful to read. I really hope you get those points reinstated! Here's a thread from last year, seems like a couple FTers were able to get their points reinstated. I would HUCA HUCA HUCA.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...einstated.html
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
I seem to remember it being quite recent that IHG said "points never expire"
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
I seem to remember it being quite recent that IHG said "points never expire"
That stopped around the same time as Spire was launched which is about two years ago now I think.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20
That stopped around the same time as Spire was launched which is about two years ago now I think.
from memory change activating expiring points started in or around March 2015.... but had been announced earlier, but cant remember if was early 2014 or early 2015

one year on IHG starting killing off points for the first time in March2016
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
from memory change activating expiring points started in or around March 2015.... but had been announced earlier, but cant remember if was early 2014 or early 2015

one year on IHG starting killing off points for the first time in March2016
It was April 2015, first export 2016
Old May 1, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
With that many points, you're probably very loyal to the chain and have stayed quite a few nights in rooms probably above standard category. (Unless you've only stayed a handful of nights in expensive Presidential suites :-) )

Maybe use that as leverage in the form of a thinly-veiled threat of the blow being so traumatic that you will cease all business with the chain if the points are not reinstated.

On the other hand, the fact that they expired means that you haven't given IHG any business for quite some time or used their credit card.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Point never expire for elite members,they do expire after 1 year of inactivity if you are the most basic club level member.

One imagines that someone that amassed 480,000 points must have acheived at least gold level, unless the points were all generated by credit card spend, and then the card was not used for a period of 1 year.

Otherwise, for those points to expire for someone on gold level, it would have required 2 years of inactivity (gold level never expires, drops down to basic member, has another 1 year before they expire).

Last edited by tangey; May 2, 2017 at 3:38 am
Old May 4, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Odd post at best. One does not accumulate 480,000 IHG points and have no experience with IHG customer support. IHG customer support is bad.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tangey
Point never expire for elite members,they do expire after 1 year of inactivity if you are the most basic club level member.

One imagines that someone that amassed 480,000 points must have acheived at least gold level, unless the points were all generated by credit card spend, and then the card was not used for a period of 1 year.

Otherwise, for those points to expire for someone on gold level, it would have required 2 years of inactivity (gold level never expires, drops down to basic member, has another 1 year before they expire).
my understanding is they expire for any member with inactivity for a year, irrespective of status.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
my understanding is they expire for any member with inactivity for a year, irrespective of status.
As long as you are something Elite they won't expire.

Expiration of points. Points do not expire unless your account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer. To maintain the points in your account, you must have at least one earn or redeem transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. If you do not keep your account active for any period of twelve (12) months or more, all of your points may expire which means your points will be removed from your account and are no longer able to be redeemed. Points in your account do not expire for all current Elite members, although all of your points may expire twelve (12) months after your account moves to Club level from an Elite level without earn or redeem activity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.