Search

20% discount on points and cash bookings for spire elite

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
20% discount on points and cash bookings for spire elite

Is this a new feature

Just looking at booking some rooms for an upcoming stay in LA and under the "check rates" button there's this message

IHG® Rewards Club Reward Nights
As a Spire Elite member, you are eligible for a 20% discount on Points & Cash.

It's basically knocking 20% off the cash element. I've never seen this before??
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:13 am
Suspended

This promotion has been here for a while (a month or so or more). But the value is so bad that nobody wants to even talk about it.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
This promotion has been here for a while (a month or so or more). But the value is so bad that nobody wants to even talk about it.
oh haha

It's the 1st time it's ever shown for me when searching over the last few weeks!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
Why is the value so bad? With the 20% discount you can basically "buy" 20,000 points at some properties for $92. For those with Ambassador or credit card rebate you can deduct another 10% which means points cost $ 0.00414 each. At many hotels that may still be bad value, but there are definitely hotels where paying cash for a flexible rate will be much higher.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
This promo, Sunshine Sale, is this week only. Today through Friday, April 28. It has not been around for a month or more. There was another promo back in March, though.

Save 20% This Week Only

When you combine points with cash, you can enjoy Reward Nights at more than 5,000 hotels around the world. And as part of a special Sunshine Sale offer, you can save 20% on the cash portion of Points & Cash bookings now through Friday, April 28, 2017.*

Not only will you stay for less, but you'll also retain more of your IHG® Rewards Club points—and you can keep saving for future Reward Nights at any IHG® property.

So whether you're traveling on business or crossing a destination off your bucket list, make your next trip more rewarding by combining Points & Cash.

*Terms and Conditions:

• IHG® Rewards Club members must be logged in to receive 20% savings.
• Stay dates include 4/24/2017-5/31/2017.
• 20% discount is offered at time of booking and only pertains to the cash cost of bookings.
• Bookings for The Venetian® and The Palazzo® hotels are excluded from discounts.
https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/glo...MER-EN-SFS-AIX
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by happeemonkee
oh haha

It's the 1st time it's ever shown for me when searching over the last few weeks!
The poster that replied to you was wrong. This only started today. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by DuMaInSin
Why is the value so bad? With the 20% discount you can basically "buy" 20,000 points at some properties for $92.
There are some properties that have a standard P+C rate resulting in 20K points costing $115 ?.... interesting
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
Originally Posted by tangey
There are some properties that have a standard P+C rate resulting in 20K points costing $115 ?.... interesting
Yes. Try to book a property e.g. in Paris in May. You will find some...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:46 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
It wasn't there yesterday when I did a point top up pending something happening
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:19 pm

Lowered to $92 per 20K.
Paris in May, like advised)
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by DuMaInSin
Why is the value so bad? With the 20% discount you can basically "buy" 20,000 points at some properties for $92. For those with Ambassador or credit card rebate you can deduct another 10% which means points cost $ 0.00414 each. At many hotels that may still be bad value, but there are definitely hotels where paying cash for a flexible rate will be much higher.
Does payment using IHG card or AMEX platinum earn extra points?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:34 pm

by the way im a club member and it works.
not just spire.
I think we should change topic headline
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I'll talk about it. I just purchased 15K points for $71.20 for a C&P booking at a hotel which goes for 25K points. And given that there a few listings on this new round of PB offerings which I can make use of, that's getting those hotels for less than $24 per night.

One thing I have noticed though, is that there is no standard for C&P rates anymore. I've seen hotels in the same city where the cash portion has ranged from $60/$65/$70/$75/$80 for 10K points. And it seems to have no corrolaton to brand or nightly rate (for a paid rate).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I'll talk about it. I just purchased 15K points for $71.20 for a C&P booking at a hotel which goes for 25K points. And given that there a few listings on this new round of PB offerings which I can make use of, that's getting those hotels for less than $24 per night.

One thing I have noticed though, is that there is no standard for C&P rates anymore. I've seen hotels in the same city where the cash portion has ranged from $60/$65/$70/$75/$80 for 10K points. And it seems to have no corrolaton to brand or nightly rate (for a paid rate).
It's been that way for a while now. Individual hotels, even from month to month, change the amount of the cash portion, too, up or down.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
The question is whether this is just part of the current promotion (despite it mentioning Spire), or a general permanent enhancement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.