Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:06 am

IHG Helpdesk are a joke. Not that it's new.

Filed a claim against Superior room on IHG.com (bed type TBD on arrival) against a comparison rate for Superior room, 1 or 2 beds. Got a decline saying the room types are nto comparable, because the Superior room on competing website is not equivalent to what I had booked on IHG, it's instead equivalent to lowest category superior room. I tried to argue them (the room descriptions are equivalent). So I then booked the Superior King - that's the lowest available rate on IHG - and filed another claim where compared it against the same third party rate. Was declined because they told me the room types don't match (of course, they don't, because the competing rate doesn't specify a bed type), so then I responded to that second claim with their own email attached , where they had claimed the 3rd party rate in fact does match with the lowest superior room category. After all this back and forth, they are telling me the room found on the other website matches the Superior (not Superior King) but they will "Still" honor the first night for me as a courtesy (for the superior king booking). How magnanimous. LOL. Such a mess. They make up rules as they go along... The entire process took 3 or 4 days I think.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:57 am

After 24h they reply with "still researching".

Followed by nothing for the next few days, even past the hotel cancellation deadline (24h before check-in).

They changed it to a bait-and-switch program?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by 336
After 24h they reply with "still researching".

Followed by nothing for the next few days, even past the hotel cancellation deadline (24h before check-in).

They changed it to a bait-and-switch program?
They are truly ridiculous. I agree that it's a bait and switch program these days.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: Enough
Submitted BPG claim on August 16. August 17 received a "still researching message". Emailed them a couple days later, reiterated still researching. August 24 now and still haven't received a decision.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: Gold Star Alliance,IHG Spire Ambassador, Starwood, Hilton Honor Diamond, Silver Accor, Diamond Hyatt
Originally Posted by durberville
Submitted BPG claim on August 16. August 17 received a "still researching message". Emailed them a couple days later, reiterated still researching. August 24 now and still haven't received a decision.
You should receive an answer before the hotel check in time.

Good luck
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:03 am

They are struggling with precisely that lately...
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I've sent in a few recently and they have taken 24 hours or more each time to get back to me. Pretty much guarantees the rate won't be available when they respond .. great.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
I managed to get a free night at the HIX Antwerp North on a best flex vs non ref. third party rate two days before check in.

Still no chance of getting a BRG in the UK presently now they've killed off the consolidator rates.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Boddingtons
I managed to get a free night at the HIX Antwerp North on a best flex vs non ref. third party rate two days before check in.....
If anyone can, Boddingtons can ... great to see you retain the magic touch
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL PM; Co Gold; PC Plat; Hhonors Silver
I actually received a positive response:

Please accept our apologies as we were unable to adjust your reservation to reflect your free night on August __, 2017 (one night) at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Orlando SW - Celebration Area. In order to fulfill the Best Price Guarantee promise of providing a free night stay for confirmation number ___________, we will reimburse the amount paid through a US Dollar (USD) denominated check via mail. In line with our Terms and Conditions of the program, the check shall be sent out the address listed on your reservation.

Then today I receive:

We understand that we have initially advised you that we will reimburse the amount you have paid during your stay at Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Orlando SW - Celebration Area last August __, 2017 through a US Dollar (USD) denominated check via mail. However, upon attempting to process the payment, we reviewed that the hotel made the necessary adjustment. Thus, please be advised that the reimbursement is no longer forthcoming from our office.

The only problem is that the hotel charged the prepayment for my room to my credit card in July and has never refunded it. And now, IHG is not responding to my emails.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
shall we update the wiki page?

In my experience, this thing never works - IHG always find some sort of excuse not to reimburse. I think the first page needs to be updated to reflect that - basically, it is now better just to forget about this program (and perhaps IHG altogether).
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: US CP
Is it true they will now deny a claim if there is a lower rate on the IHG site even if it is a different cancellation policy? I found a refundable rate that is $20 less than on the IHG site but they denied it because the advance purchase rate on IHG is lower than my refundable rate.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Heels05
Is it true they will now deny a claim if there is a lower rate on the IHG site even if it is a different cancellation policy? I found a refundable rate that is $20 less than on the IHG site but they denied it because the advance purchase rate on IHG is lower than my refundable rate.
The guarantee is straight up fraud!

I had step by step screenshots (after the denied my initial online claim) showing all the rates. It was 100% crystal clear I found a cheaper price from not just one website, but three!

I love IHG, but the guarantee is joke...and criminal false advertising in my opinion. I think they should drop the claim as it does them more harm than good, marketing/advertising wise.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by delder
The guarantee is straight up fraud!

I had step by step screenshots (after the denied my initial online claim) showing all the rates. It was 100% crystal clear I found a cheaper price from not just one website, but three!

I love IHG, but the guarantee is joke...and criminal false advertising in my opinion. I think they should drop the claim as it does them more harm than good, marketing/advertising wise.
It is not just always about the cheaper price, room type, cancellation policy, etc all must match. Also they never have accepted screen shots as proof. It is definitely difficult, but it does work.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by Heels05
Yes, it's been like this for a while now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.