Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Delectatio
Why would you book a hotel in your own name if you're not planning on staying there yourself anyway and why play with the rules when IHG is already so strict applying them...?? Sorry I don't get this.
Simple, he wants to game IHG and receive stay/night credit instead of his family member(s).

Very bold of him to state that intention in a public forum.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:18 pm

Anyone have OTA recs for Miami that have been successful in the past? Please PM me
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:53 pm

Are IHG stay credits even worth it for that risk? Other than accelerate...
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by andy1585
Anyone have OTA recs for Miami that have been successful in the past? Please PM me
MIA Airport Holiday Inn on Hotels.com last year.

But that's totally hit or miss.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:40 pm

I've been waiting 23 hrs so far, I have to cancel the hotel tomorrow if i'm not staying, any suggestions? I didn't get a confirmation/proof that I even submitted the claim (clear $10 difference in rate too)...this is my first time trying this, had my parents submit/book a claim separately.....any chance both will be approved?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:46 pm

I just waited 40 hours.

Anyone else getting the impression they fundamentally changed the interpretation of their rules?

Especially regarding:
Book. Complete a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate) on any IHG website for any IHG branded hotel using the “Best Available Rate Search.”
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by 336
I just waited 40 hours.

Anyone else getting the impression they fundamentally changed the interpretation of their rules?

Especially regarding:
Book. Complete a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate) on any IHG website for any IHG branded hotel using the “Best Available Rate Search.”
How so?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by hook13
I've been waiting 23 hrs so far, I have to cancel the hotel tomorrow if i'm not staying, any suggestions? ?
approved w/ 30 hr response time- room type was best available rate, but not cheapest room type (booked king exec)

assuming this does not count towards accelerate promo now?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
To add another point of reference: I've been averaging about 36hrs for a response time on BRGs recently. On a positive note, I'm 2 for 2 on accepted claims this week.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: Enough
In my many BRGs with IHG, I received the most ridiculous denial. I booked a refundable room. Denied because the non-refundable is cheaper. Blah. Rebooking and re-claiming.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by durberville
In my many BRGs with IHG, I received the most ridiculous denial. I booked a refundable room. Denied because the non-refundable is cheaper. Blah. Rebooking and re-claiming.

You gotta love IHG.com....Found a BRG for NYC Times Square for the fall, submitted claim, checked ever hour on the competing site if the lower price was still listed, then I noticed after 10 hours that the rate was the same as IHG, about 30 minutes later, I get a reply saying that both the booking and competing sites are offering the same rate.

They like to play games in order to deny people. I blasted to managers over the phone for that.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by raftamaf
I just received a IHG BPG claim. I booked the room and added 2/4 of my family members actually going to the hotel as guests at the time of booking (I wont be going). I figured one of the two members who will be going can check in, and then they'll get the bpg.

I was told that the primary guest must check in for the BPG. Do they actually care? When i called IHG reservations he said it doesn't make a difference, and a chat representative told me that too..But the IHG BPG department told me it matters. Anyone have any experience on this?

Their rules. You asked, they told you.

Play the game by those rules and you are OK. Cheat, and it could turn out badly: or it could go well. Your choice.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
To add another point of reference: I've been averaging about 36hrs for a response time on BRGs recently. On a positive note, I'm 2 for 2 on accepted claims this week.

-FlyerBeek
Never had a successful claim with IHG on a BRG. Teach me?

But seriously can you please PM to let me know the tricks of the trade? I can only get successful claims with other brands.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:20 am

I've gotten this denial three times in a row now: "Please be advised that a lower room rate was found offered on the IHG website for the same room type booked based on the details found for the reservation on your claim. The Terms and Conditions require that the claim be for “a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate)” on the IHG website."

Basically they are saying that because nonrefundable rate is cheaper than flexible rate, it's invalid claim. Is this a new policy change? You used to be able to compare flex rate on IHG against flex on OTA, but now they seem to not even accept that if a nonrefundable rate is cheaper - something that almost always exists.

Is it even possible to do a flex rate claim anymore?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:19 pm

Looks like this may be a policy change, or at least change in how it's applied...

http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2016/01...policy-change/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.