Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Crowne Plaza London City/Blackfriars Master Thread (Archive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2004, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Location: Richmond, VA BA Silver, US Airways CP, Marriott PLT, Hilton Gold

Has anyone stayed at this property since it opened? I usually stay at a Marriott in London but was interested to try this hotel if it is worth it as it is slightly less expensive for me.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Did you stay here, majorbill?

Can anyone provide first hand experience with this property?

I am considering using an award night in London, and since HIXs at 20K and HIs 25K, it makes better sense to stay at one of the two CPs at 25K or the IC at 30K. I've stayed at the Buckingham Palace Road property, and would go back based both on the accommodation and location, but am always interested in sampling new spots too.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Not stayed there but it is only a few minutes from my office. New build hotel so presumably modern and clean inside. Directly opposite Blackfriars tube station. Situated very close to a busy roundabout, so it could be noisy from the rooms. About 30 seconds from the river. Restaurant gets good reviews in the London press. Opposite one of London's oldest and most strangely decorated pubs, The Black Friar.

The area is completely, totally dead at the weekend when the City closes down. Fleet Street is only five minutes away, however, and most of the small shops and cafes on there do open over the weekend. You can walk to St Pauls in about 10 minutes and to Tate Modern and the Globe Theatre in less than 15.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks for the observations, RJB. From the photos on their web site, it appears the interiors are very "W"ish, Philippe Starkish encapsulated in an older building shell. Actually, I don't mind it being desolate on the weekend, as this will overcome your noise concerns from the roundabout. Being a short walk to Fleet Street is a plus, as I can grab a pint or two at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese before retiring for the night, not to mention the convenience of being on the Circle/District Line tube.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Thanks for the observations, RJB. From the photos on their web site, it appears the interiors are very "W"ish, Philippe Starkish encapsulated in an older building shell. Actually, I don't mind it being desolate on the weekend, as this will overcome your noise concerns from the roundabout. Being a short walk to Fleet Street is a plus, as I can grab a pint or two at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese before retiring for the night, not to mention the convenience of being on the Circle/District Line tube.
Indeed you can - I went from the Black Friar to Ye Old Cheshire Cheese on a pub crawl just last month!

Note that the District and Circle Lines are closed roughly one weekend per month for the next few months for track replacement. Dates for the rest of 2004 are:

23-24 October
30-31 October
20-21 November
4-5 December
Old Oct 21, 2004, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RJB
Indeed you can - I went from the Black Friar to Ye Old Cheshire Cheese on a pub crawl just last month!

Note that the District and Circle Lines are closed roughly one weekend per month for the next few months for track replacement. Dates for the rest of 2004 are:

23-24 October
30-31 October
20-21 November
4-5 December

Thanks for the tip about the Tube lines. I'm looking at the weekend of the 5th or 12th of November, so looks like I'll be okay.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 5:01 am

I work nearby, as well, and can second RJB's observation that the place is nearly dead on the weekends (sadly, I spend too many Saturdays and Sundays in the office!). There is a Starbucks across from the hotel that is open on the weekends and most of the food outlets are open on Saturday, with some open on Sunday, as well.

I've also eaten at the restaurant in the CP and it's pretty good. We were all very surprised by the quality!
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The award night I was hoping to snag vanished in the past few hours, so I have booked the IC for the extra 5K. Shall try this CP on another trip. But thanks for all the details.
Old May 31, 2008, 7:11 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Crown Plaza London City - Any recent (award) stays as Plat?

Couldn't find any info on this property in this forum. Seems like a good points deal for 25k in London. Location might not be that great but my other options are 40k for IC (I'm RA but not sure I would get upgraded there on points), 40k Hilton for Waldorf London or 12k SPG for Sheraton Belgravia.

The CP is definitely the cheapest option. I'm wondering whether anyone has been upgraded as a Platinum member to the Club room or any other better room type? Especially if you were using points for your stay.
Old May 31, 2008, 10:54 am

Stayed there about a month ago on points stay and was automatically upgraded to a Club room without asking. The hotel was great especially the staff. Overall it's the best IHG hotel I've stayed in so far. Location isn't as bad as some say, it's right next to a tube so it's very convenient.
Old May 31, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Stayed there around 4 0r 5 times and also at IC Park Lane many times also.

The Crowne Plaza offers superb value for an award stay if it s on a weekday as it normally approx £250 per night.

If its for a weekend then PM me I will tell you a way to get the room for around £50 a night.

The Crowne Plaza is very busy and expensive on weekdays as it bang on in the city and in the financial district which is very busy on weekdays.

IC Park Lane is next to Hyde Park and on Park Lane. For an award stay I I would def take up the CP for 25,000 as 40,000 for the IC Park LAne is a lot more.

The key would be: If your on a business trip or not, if you are and you need to be in the city then definetely the CP.

I recently spent 5 nights at the IC (last week) Park Lane for business, problem was that my business was near Bank and in the city, I wished I had booked the CP as thought its not 5 star like the IC it is a good 4 star.

Finally ive had an upgrade to executive floor with club lounge access at the CP on on 3 out of 4 every occasions i have stayed there being Platinum and a Royal Ambassador however on 1 occassion they only gave me a superior room (which is an executive room) without club access.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 6:18 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Thanks guys. Great to know. Yes, it's a leisure stay and it happens to be during the week. But thanks for the offer for a great weekend rate, navatwal.

Do the Club rooms really have Molton Brown amenities? Never seen this in any CP I've stayed in...
Old Jun 1, 2008, 9:12 am

Yes Club rooms have Molton Brown amenities.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:27 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I have had so many people PM me rgearidng the reduced weekend rate at CP London the City. Here goes:

If you were staying two nights, you can got the hotel on a 2 for 1 rate (see link below)

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/...r1-_-exclusive

Ifyou are staying only one weekend night I would suggest that you book via Hotwire.com (US site).

They book by not telling you the name of the hotel and just publishing certain info about the hotel, such as 4 star, in financial district, gym etc.

Its very easy to find and distinguish it form others. If your not sure then email me.

You can get it for a weekend stay for around £45 - £65. The hotel is ful of US tourists on weekends.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: PC Plat Amb, Hilton Diamond, BA, bmi, AA, Qantas, Royal Skies
I stayed about a month or so ago too - upgraded to a club room without asking, but they made a point of specifically saying there was no club access on check-in. Still, nice room with molton brown, water, filter coffee and a few biscuits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.