Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New RA Benefits -- a net plus or net negative?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
If I want a room with club access I pay for it. Then get a better room as an ambassador. It would be lovely to book and pay lowest room type and get club but I dont take it for granted.

When I was an RA, Sydney tried to do me out of the 2 room upgrade (at the time) even though we had booked a club room. I totally expected a suite so when I didnt get it, I put my pouty face on until I did I am always grateful when I get more than I expect, but unhappy when I receive less than what i am entitled to.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
IC Düsseldorf now considers "Club Room" as a room category of its own. To get a suite, it is no longer sufficient to book "Deluxe", you need to book a "Club Room" and pay for the club access twice: Once through your RA status and once through your roomrate. And they do not even include breakfast in Pega restaurant.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
IC Düsseldorf now considers "Club Room" as a room category of its own. To get a suite, it is no longer sufficient to book "Deluxe", you need to book a "Club Room" and pay for the club access twice: Once through your RA status and once through your roomrate. And they do not even include breakfast in Pega restaurant.
They're not the only ones to do be doing this, either. It's ridiculous. RA has lost its cachet. A shame.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The suites are pretty rubbish though aren't they? The actual living room space is tiny, I wouldn't go well out of my way to get a suite here if I was getting club anyway. I have always booked a club room but that was before the guarantee of club for RA.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:03 pm

It's not a matter of how good the suite is, but the principle. IMO, in these situations the rate for a Club room should be reduced to that of a Deluxe room, since the difference is only that you're paying for Club in the room rate. Since it's meant to be complimentary for RA, this would be a satisfactory way of resolving the issue, and they should then allow the upgrade to Executive suite.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Ambassador is and has always been very clear. Ambassador status is and never has been getting extra upgrades if Plat v Gold or Spire v Plat/Gold @Rewards status.

If IHG is now asking IC's to give non-guaranteed +1cat upgrades to Spires as reported by the odd Spire staying at an IC, that is separate issue, and a Spire Ambassador may decide to save the usd200/year

If you as a Spire Ambassador was receiving +2cat upgrade, then you would be upgraded the same as an RA, which is why it does not usually happen, except when IC's oversell several lower category rooms and are forced to upgrade guests.

1. Ambassador has always been clearly spelled out by IHG. Pay usd200 to become Ambassador for 12months and receive +1cat guaranteed upgrade when staying at Intercontinental brand hotels.

The IHG @Rewards Gold/PlatinumSpire status attached to an Ambassador are in theory ignored. Though if one or more ambassadors needs to be given a greater than +1cat upgrade, the IC will probably prioritise to either a regular guest at that hotel or a Spire Amb over a Platinum/Gold Ambassador

2. Royal Ambassador changes are possibly either positive or negative depending onany one individual RAs booking habits.
i)If booking a basic entry level room, then +2cat upgrade is going to be worse than the old option of ClubRoom/Exec Room/Suite
ii)If booking a premium rate room, such as 1cat below suite or a suite, then RA from now on gets a +2cat upgrade versus the +cat usually given previously.
(Not withstanding a rush by IC's since Sep2016 changes to exclude normal suites, not just Royal/Presidential suites)
iii)And of course the possibly perceived injustice whereby when booking Suites or 1cat below suites, RAs got treated the same as Ambassador with +1cat upgrade.
Spire do get +2cat upgrade, at least at HI brand. This was confirmed to me two nights ago as information during check-in at Holiday Inn Airport Conference Center Schönefeld / Berlin. "You as Spire member receive a +2cat upgrade which means a Junior Suite". I booked Superiour, next level is Deluxe, I was upgraded to a Junior Suite. Drink or points: I took points, they credited 500 at once. A Mars snack and 2 small bottles of mineral water as welcome in the room.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Susiew237
If I want a room with club access I pay for it. Then get a better room as an ambassador. It would be lovely to book and pay lowest room type and get club but I dont take it for granted.

When I was an RA, Sydney tried to do me out of the 2 room upgrade (at the time) even though we had booked a club room. I totally expected a suite so when I didnt get it, I put my pouty face on until I did I am always grateful when I get more than I expect, but unhappy when I receive less than what i am entitled to.
i wont rub it in but at IC Sydney as a Spire Amb I booked a Harbor View Room and somehow managed to receive an upgrade to the Australia Suite ...

Does anybody have a link to the thread regarding the RA qualifications / revenue requirements? Having trouble finding it. FT mobile site is terrible..
Old May 21, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
i wont rub it in but at IC Sydney as a Spire Amb I booked a Harbor View Room and somehow managed to receive an upgrade to the Australia Suite ...

Does anybody have a link to the thread regarding the RA qualifications / revenue requirements? Having trouble finding it. FT mobile site is terrible..
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...c-revenue.html
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:57 pm

I can't help but feel, that after 8 years as RA, I'm very close to throwing in the towel with the programme. The dust has settled upon the most recent changes and it just seems as if the de-valuations have gone too far.
It seems very much as if there is a deliberate strategy to dismantle RA. The creation of fake, disingenuous room categories to circumvent meaningful upgrades is transparent and cynical.
Because of this, two-tier upgrades now only offer very low end rooms from base room and more often than not, one must book a club room (thereby negating the "complimentary" lounge access) in order to receive a suite.
​​​​​​​ I think i'm ready to look at SPG. Any other RA's in the same boat?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by turner32
I can't help but feel, that after 8 years as RA, I'm very close to throwing in the towel with the programme. The dust has settled upon the most recent changes and it just seems as if the de-valuations have gone too far.
It seems very much as if there is a deliberate strategy to dismantle RA. The creation of fake, disingenuous room categories to circumvent meaningful upgrades is transparent and cynical.
Because of this, two-tier upgrades now only offer very low end rooms from base room and more often than not, one must book a club room (thereby negating the "complimentary" lounge access) in order to receive a suite.
I only became a RA last year but I actually like the new changes, perhaps I am lucky.

1. I am now guaranteed to get club lounge access whereas before it was really an unknown.
2. I still find myself getting into nice suites in all of my reservations even though I book the cheapest rate. since the changes I have stayed in the following:
Prague, Bucharest, Warsaw, DC, O2, San Francisco and Budapest.
For the above 6 at least, I like the new found consistency of the program.

Next, I just wish they treated Award night stays like paid stays with regards to benefits.

Lew
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by turner32
I am already SPG LTP and hopefully that won't change with the Marriott integration. I rather like SPG and Marriott and since I don't like many of the IHG chains beyond CP I am making zero effort to retain RA thins year. If it happens then fine if not my world won't end.

I have had some pretty crappy IC stays this year thus far.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:57 pm

Well I had two stays recently at IC PL.
First one was spectacular. Received Exec London on revenue room, and a large Deluxe with sofa on points room. Club included. Free breakfast for guests at Theo Randall.

Second stay. Got the smallest Deluxe in the hotel. Tiny room. Club.
Insisted that I can drop Club Access and get my usual Execs... no chance.

Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Petrus
Well I had two stays recently at IC PL.
First one was spectacular. Received Exec London on revenue room, and a large Deluxe with sofa on points room. Club included. Free breakfast for guests at Theo Randall.

Second stay. Got the smallest Deluxe in the hotel. Tiny room. Club.
Insisted that I can drop Club Access and get my usual Execs... no chance.

When I stayed last month club did not give you the option of breakfast in TR, which in any event was terrible and we walked out after 15 minutes of not being served.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:11 am

I had TR breakfast included in the first stay, should have added.
The new breakfast at TR is nice. Fewer options in the buffet, but far less waste.
As I am regular, many staff know me by name so always well looked after.

Either way, RA at PL is at a loss with new rules, that's for certain.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Lewis42
I only became a RA last year but I actually like the new changes, perhaps I am lucky.

1. I am now guaranteed to get club lounge access whereas before it was really an unknown.
2. I still find myself getting into nice suites in all of my reservations even though I book the cheapest rate. since the changes I have stayed in the following:
Prague, Bucharest, Warsaw, DC, O2, San Francisco and Budapest.
For the above 6 at least, I like the new found consistency of the program.

Next, I just wish they treated Award night stays like paid stays with regards to benefits.

Lew
i've never not got the benefits for the award nights, when i've added award nights to paid stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.