Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG vs Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
How much extra per night do you pay for the 5k bonus points rate? When I see it available it's commonly a $35 add-on to the BAR, which is typically already $10 higher than my fully refundable AAA rate. That yields a cost of 0.9cpp. Redemption opportunities worth significantly more than that are few.
That's a good point. It is generally in that range. However, i guess YMMV. I don't pay for it, because I am within my nightly allowance on rate. But, to your point, someone is paying it.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
As my paid stays are almost always in the limited service brands, I continue to use IHG most often. Much prefer HIX to CY, and SPG has nothing comparable.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
As my paid stays are almost always in the limited service brands, I continue to use IHG most often. Much prefer HIX to CY, and SPG has nothing comparable.
While I'd prefer HIX to CY too, the closest equivalent in the Marriott program to HIX is not CY but Fairfield. And Fairfield tends to have a more varied complementary breakfast than HIX does (for example, usually fresh cut fruit of some sort, which I've never seen at HIX).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by sdsearch
While I'd prefer HIX to CY too, the closest equivalent in the Marriott program to HIX is not CY but Fairfield. And Fairfield tends to have a more varied complementary breakfast than HIX does (for example, usually fresh cut fruit of some sort, which I've never seen at HIX).
The HIX in Berlin had fresh cut citrus on their breakfast buffet. Here in North America, all I ever see are whole bananas and apples.

And IMO, Fairfield is definitely a step below HIX.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
My preference is free travel over on property perks. IHG is the winner for meaningful points earning. A traveler with a greater importance on free breakfast or a lounge would view the comparison differently.

My most recent stay of $400 tax included earned just over 20,000 points with plat bonus, credit card, birthday bonus, and prorated Accelerate goals. 20k will get me a free night in about half of the IHG properties.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
My preference is free travel over on property perks. IHG is the winner for meaningful points earning. A traveler with a greater importance on free breakfast or a lounge would view the comparison differently.
My priority is also free stays and for lack of a better term, IHG is the most 'hackable' program with a strong North American presence. The bonus points run freely and there are a number of different ways you can get any status shy of RA without a ton of spend.

Just spent down my point stash today for a London trip. I like the free $200+ a night hotel rooms a lot better than a light breakfast I can get on my own for $3-$6 at the coffee shop across the street from the hotel. (I'm a caffeine and light pastry breakfast person.)
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I am starting to stay with Marriott as a newly minted Plat. I am more of an IC loyalist than IHG loyalist though.
Snap - albeit I am Gold not Platinum with Marriott! I love the IC brand but just cannot justify any stays with them (unless I am using up my points) as I really get nothing despite being a Spire Ambassador. The lounge access and breakfast I get through Hilton and Marriott mean I have swapped all my stays for this year to them.

I prefer the Marriott chain of hotels over Hilton so if the price is right I will always choose a Marriott now. Shame as I was very loyal to IHG for years but they have fallen behind with what I want from a programme.

Aks120
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Still IHG Rewards Club is interesting - generous points earning, promotions, many hotels in Europe, good properties to redeem.

IHG has the midscale brand HIX (breakfast incl.) everywhere.

I will not replace IHG by Marriott.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:05 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by submonte
Still IHG Rewards Club is interesting - generous points earning, promotions, many hotels in Europe, good properties to redeem.

IHG has the midscale brand HIX (breakfast incl.) everywhere.

I will not replace IHG by Marriott.
You've quoted all the reasons I remain wth IHG.

I'm actually a Marriott man and stay around 40 nights a year at their hotels as I prefer them to Hilton or IHGs offerings, but when in smalle cities, or on a tighter budget the ubiquitous HIX, where I am now for the third stay this year, comes to the rescue. Usually I'm doing 40 nights with Marriott and 20 with IHG, but this could be a tight year, so IHG may fir the first time ever exceed Marriott nights...
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express

My most recent stay of $400 tax included earned just over 20,000 points with plat bonus, credit card, birthday bonus, and prorated Accelerate goals. 20k will get me a free night in about half of the IHG properties.
This!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.