Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: scubaccr
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2017 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: none
Complaining about availability of PB properties is kinda like Yogi's comment on a particular restaurant:

"No one ever goes there any more, it's too crowded."

Last edited by Allan38103; Apr 30, 2017 at 1:29 pm
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Thank you very much for such a detailed review, Ikaz. I think I will stay with the HIX (rather than changing to something nearer the city) for the 3 nights I will be in Porto, even though it is a long way from the city. As I will be arriving earlier than you, I will probably try to take the bus from the airport. On the other hand, would a car rental perhaps be not such a bad idea, maybe for a trip up the Douro river? I seem to recall Porto being very manageable, as far as cities go.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Complaining about availability of PB properties is kinda like Yogi's comment on a particular restaurant:

"No one ever goes there any more, it's too crowded."
Quoting Yogi, perfect!

And I think the equivalent may lie in IHG's choice/recruitment of PB properties and its reimbursement policies.

As I've heard it told, if the hotel occupancy is less than a certain level, say 90 or 95%, the parent chain only reimburses a nominal "cleaning fee" for any award stay, including PBs. Something like $25-35. Anyone may correct me on this.

Above that, it's full rate paid to the property. Some of us have seen the folio of the hotel's individual transaction with the chain, and the payment amount.

So why would IHG fill the PB list with popular hotels, for which they would have to reimburse full rate, rather than try to direct us to the less popular, out of the way places? Especially in summer peak travel season.

They must maintain a spreadsheet of their projected budget for each PB, and their accounting branch gets pats on the back for keeping within that budget.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
My PB stay 2 weeks ago at Bangkok Silom seems to have attracted the full payout, it was in the high $50s. I was quite surprised since I've never seen a PB stay attract the full payout before.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:17 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
WRT Breakfast

WRT Breakfast,

in Brno right now, and while my Plat states was acknowledged, was informed in next sentence that NO breakfast on Point Stay.

Actually a good thing for me as I have a hard time passing free breakfast even though there are so many bakeries and cafes around town. And cheap too ^
Old May 4, 2017, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
WRT Breakfast,
..., was informed in next sentence that NO breakfast on Point Stay.
It's actually standard for this chain, as I've learned. Occasionally individual properties may waive (or forget) the breakfast charge, but never promise so in advance.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by MaxVO
It's actually standard for this chain, as I've learned. Occasionally individual properties may waive (or forget) the breakfast charge, but never promise so in advance.
Twice in my life in IHG I have got free breakfasts as a perk.

First time was a HI where I was booked without breakfast, there was a problem with the room and nothing else was available so I was relocated to a CP with free breakfast and a free drink at the bar in additional to the welcome points and additional refreshments provided in the room compared to what you'd normally get in a CP.

Second time I was in a HI where I asked for breakfast and upon check-out I was told that it would be waived and I didn't need to pay anything else, I got an upgrade to the biggest non suite room in the hotel (corner room) as well as points on that stay, I had stayed in 4 hotels in the same country within 10 days and I suspect they may have realised that.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:08 pm

Prague Congress Center said you can have buffet breakfast.

At my age I don't eat all that much, I mostly wanted good coffee. Mission accomplished

Currently 15K points, so it is my backup if I do not find anything cheap in Prague.

Under five minutes walk to Metro - a good go to property unless there is a convention next door (points would go up no doubt).
Old May 4, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador

At my age I don't eat all that much, I mostly wanted good coffee. Mission accomplished

Currently 15K points, so it is my backup if I do not find anything cheap in Prague.

Under five minutes walk to Metro - a good go to property unless there is a convention next door (points would go up no doubt).
HI Prague Congress is also in Vyšehrad, one of the nicest districts in Prague, with great views across the Vltava. It's particularly wonderful at night but then so is most of Prague!
Old May 5, 2017, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Does this hold true for HIX as well or no? (I asking since at HIX, breakfast usually is included in the standard rate.)
Old May 5, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.

I've stayed at this property a lot. It's actually my first choice hotel in Prague. I often walk around the Vyšehrad castle grounds (great views). And at 15K points, is a great bargain. But I think the free breakfast is for Plats (and Spires), not all guests, and is isolated to this property. It started maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Because I remember it was not the case until one time I checked in and they said the breakfast was complimentary. To which I responded with "Are you sure because it never was before?" However, almost every other HI I've stayed at in Europe has no such policy.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I've stayed at this property a lot. It's actually my first choice hotel in Prague. I often walk around the Vyšehrad castle grounds (great views). And at 15K points, is a great bargain. But I think the free breakfast is for Plats (and Spires), not all guests, and is isolated to this property. It started maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Because I remember it was not the case until one time I checked in and they said the breakfast was complimentary. To which I responded with "Are you sure because it never was before?" However, almost every other HI I've stayed at in Europe has no such policy.
Maybe you should add HI Sofia to your Europe list? I just got back from there and I got a free breakfast without mentioning anything. Not only that, the breakfast was really decent and the serving staff were great. Definitely a notch above your typical HI (won't even mention HIX as their 'free' breakfast is usually inedible outside Asia). I've given up on IHG for a while but for Sofia I'd definitely go back to the HI.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Maybe you should add HI Sofia to your Europe list? I just got back from there and I got a free breakfast without mentioning anything. Not only that, the breakfast was really decent and the serving staff were great. Definitely a notch above your typical HI (won't even mention HIX as their 'free' breakfast is usually inedible outside Asia). I've given up on IHG for a while but for Sofia I'd definitely go back to the HI.
Wow, thanks for that tip. The hotel looks great, and I'm kind of suprised they haven't branded it a Crowne Plaza.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
However, almost every other HI I've stayed at in Europe has no such policy.
Yup, while Bratislava didn't make PointBreaks, it is 10K and less than 5 bucks from Brno by rail, so here I am

I was informed that breakfast is not included. No biggie, so many places to grab a coffee and / or sweets and / or baked goods instead

Been away for five years - can't believe how the place has changed

More expensive too ....
Old May 7, 2017, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Yup, while Bratislava didn't make PointBreaks, it is 10K and less than 5 bucks from Brno by rail, so here I am

I was informed that breakfast is not included. No biggie, so many places to grab a coffee and / or sweets and / or baked goods instead

Been away for five years - can't believe how the place has changed

More expensive too ....
I was in Bratislava a few weeks ago, for the first time in around 15 years, and I agree. The changes are mind-blowing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.