An $71 night at an HI two blocks from Columbus Circle!

Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
A $71 night at an HI two blocks from Columbus Circle!

This must be the most amazing NYC hotel rate in decades. The HI on W 57th Street has an advance booking rate of $71 and a flexible "Your Rate" at $78 on nights during the third week of January. Rates under $100 are available through much of the month and into early February.

I stayed here a couple of years ago and while it's certainly not the greatest HI, it's quite acceptable and centrally located. (And you might run into Joe Scarborough and company at the lobby bar.) When I stayed there had a room across from the manager's residential suite and met him in the hallway and shared the elevator with him. Very unusual for a hotel manager, not business school or business suit type at all, he was dressed in cargo pants and safari shirt...quite a world traveler too and his office (which could be seen from the street) was cluttered with an odd array of souvenirs: African masks and spears among other similar items collected on his travels.

Just curious why such a low rate when other IHG properties on Manhattan are all $200+ during the same week? If I didn't have an early flight ex-JFK I'd stay there instead of at the HIX by the airport.

Last edited by Shareholder; Jan 3, 2017 at 10:18 pm
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Just curious why such a low rate when other IHG properties on Manhattan are all $200+ during the same week?
The price you found isn't so unusual. It's the weakest time of year for NYC hotels. We had a deal on the IC Barclay for ~$120 in Feb '17 a few weeks ago.

Hilton is currently running its "NYC WINTER BONUS SALE" in which they sell the Hilton Times Square from $103 per night for many dates between Jan-Mar '17.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Hilton Garden Inn Tribeca was $103 in early December. I've seen lots of cheap hotels lately in NYC. Maybe overbuilt?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Thanks, OP! Booked three nights Jan 22 - 25, happen to be in town for an audition.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Thanks, OP! Booked three nights Jan 22 - 25, happen to be in town for an audition.
You're welcome. Hope you get the gig.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Thats a great deal actually and the location as well. The lowest I have paid for a HI in Financial District is US$100
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just wrapping up my stay here. Rate jumped to $149 for Saturday night, then down to $77.42 (invoice base) and $99.34 all-in for Sunday and Monday. Offered 500 bonus points or a drink at the bar as a welcome amenity as a Plat.

No complaints though this is a very typical NY style mid-range hotel so dated but clean and quite acceptable unless you're used to and expecting IC standards. However, as of mid-February this property leaves the IHG "family" and becomes an independent hotel, rebranded as The Watson.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.