Wiki Posts
Search

IHG hotels refusing cash payment

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Plat, EK Gold
IHG hotels refusing cash payment

I just had an IHG hotel in Miami refuse cash, demanded a debit or credit card?

was not happy about it, cancelled the booking and left

any other IHGers experienced this?

be interested to know, I do not like this "war on cash"
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:35 am

Dépends on the room rate and local legislation. If I recall correctly you are not allowed to pay anything over 1000 euro in cash in France.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Typically they require a credit or debit card authorization merely as an incidentals deposit, and then upon checkout you are able to pay with cash. Sometimes you are even allowed to also use cash as the deposit, which you will get back upon checkout. But this is tricky because who knows how much you'll spend on mini-bar, room service, etc.

Think about it. Theoretical situation: you pay cash upfront and leave a $50 cash deposit. You consume $150 in mini-bar items. How will the hotel get the rest of their money if they don't have a card on file?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonspencer
I just had an IHG hotel in Miami refuse cash, demanded a debit or credit card?

was not happy about it, cancelled the booking and left

any other IHGers experienced this?

be interested to know, I do not like this "war on cash"
I'm confused, how did you make the booking without using a credit card to secure it? And if you cancelled the booking after the cancellation deadline, they can still bill that credit card.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm confused, how did you make the booking without using a credit card to secure it? And if you cancelled the booking after the cancellation deadline, they can still bill that credit card.
Not all hotels require a booking to be guaranteed with a credit card; I stay at hotels that have a choice of auto cancel or be guaranteed

If it was guaranteed by a card, the hotel should still accept cash at checkout time though. Here , it is one of the ways to avoid a credit card surcharge

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 29, 2016 at 2:27 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Think about it. Theoretical situation: you pay cash upfront and leave a $50 cash deposit. You consume $150 in mini-bar items. How will the hotel get the rest of their money if they don't have a card on file?
How will they know that a charge to the card (beyond the initially reserved amount, $50) will go through?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
How will they know that a charge to the card (beyond the initially reserved amount, $50) will go through?
Most hotels only check that the credit card is valid. They also assume that most users have a credit limit that is much higher.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is not clear in the least. Did the hotel refuse cash payment for the room or was it cash at check-in as a guarantee/deposit?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Many ICs that I've stayed at make several authorizations throughout the stay if my incidental spend has exceeded the initial authorization amount.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:51 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Unless you have experienced this with several hotels of which the only linking factor is them being IHG branded, why not name the individual hotel instead of suggesting that this is a general problem with all IHG hotels?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:34 am

why dont you have a debit or cc in this modern's world
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:00 am

In response to a few items on this thread, I used to work for an IHG property and I can understand some of the things from the hotel's perspective. While we did not have a policy against cash, we ALWAYS preferred having a credit card. When we have a credit card on file, we can charge for any incidentals that did not post as well as for any damages to the room. They were rare, but having a CC was always safer for the property. It was much more common for the situation that TravelTheWorld66 brought up... excessive charges to the mini bar and then lying about it when checking out. Usually the housekeepers are too busy to check right away so we refund the cash deposit and the guest leaves. It sounds like the franchise owner probably got fed up with situations like this and instilled this rule.

As far as large amounts of incidentals posting to a room... most modern hotel systems will automatically check to ensure the authorizations are sufficient to cover the current incidentals and the remainder of the stay. For older systems, the night auditor will check and if there have been a lot of incidentals, the system or auditor will make additional authorizations to cover the difference. Many of the hotels I've stayed at take a $50 or more incidental deposit per night as opposed to only $50 per stay.

Oh... and if your credit card is declined? Typically they call you to come down with alternative payment and cut off charging privileges until you do. If it takes you a really long time to go to the front desk, they expire your key.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Plat, EK Gold
it was at Candlewood in Doral and of course I have credit cards

there was never an issue with giving the hotel a card to block, I just wanted to pay cash as it was a personal expense and I only had a corporate credit card with me

I have over 100 nights with IHG this year and I did not like that they were not giving me a choice, I think it was completely reasonable that I pay in cash
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by jonspencer
it was at Candlewood in Doral and of course I have credit cards

there was never an issue with giving the hotel a card to block, I just wanted to pay cash as it was a personal expense and I only had a corporate credit card with me

I have over 100 nights with IHG this year and I did not like that they were not giving me a choice, I think it was completely reasonable that I pay in cash
I think it's completely reasonable to expect to be able to pay with cash. But the hotel is not required by law to accept cash.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ghentleman
I think it's completely reasonable to expect to be able to pay with cash. But the hotel is not required by law to accept cash.
The former grad student in me likes sources. So, here's the Federal Reserve source that confirms your statement.

Link: https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm
From that page: "There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise."
As far as I know, there is no Florida state law requiring businesses to accept cash. As proof, many Florida toll roads are cashless, and those are operated by public agencies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.