IHG Communication: "Member booking update."

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:01 am
htb
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
IHG Communication: "Member booking update."

Just got this from IHG:

We’ve made a change. Effective 1 January 2017, members must book directly through IHG® (IHG.com, IHG® App, IHG® brand sites, corporate travel sites, Central Reservations, or Hotel direct) and not through other travel booking sites in order to take full advantage of the benefits that come with an IHG® Rewards Club membership. Why? We want to give you the best travel experience—from start to finish—every time. And we can only do that when you book with us directly.
What are they talking about? I thought you already had to book directly through them in order to take advantage of any benefits "that come with an IHG® Rewards Club membership." Why? Because they changed that a couple of years back.

Did I miss something?

HTB.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: IHG
I received this too. Seems like more nonsense. Pointless sending it out.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:10 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
quote email

Dear SCUBACCR,

We’ve made a change. Effective 1 January 2017, members must book directly through IHG® (IHG.com, IHG® App, IHG® brand sites, corporate travel sites, Central Reservations, or Hotel direct) and not through other travel booking sites in order to take full advantage of the benefits that come with an IHG® Rewards Club membership. Why? We want to give you the best travel experience—from start to finish—every time. And we can only do that when you book with us directly.

Take a look at what you can get through booking directly with IHG®:
• Your Rate* – a special rate that’s just for members
• Points that you can earn, track and redeem for rewarding experiences
• Personalised rewards and offers to help you make the most of every stay
• Reward Nights with no blackout dates
• Complimentary upgrades are always a nice surprise

Check out the full list of benefits that you’re guaranteed when you book directly with us.

IHG Corporate don't earn the commisson from hotels when rooms are booked through other non-direct avenues. This is all about directing bookings of @Rewards members so IHG corporate get more commssion and income

Email text statement includes "members must book directly through IHG® "
To me that means Directly, and
a)Not an OTA
b)Not via Arline inclusive Holiday/Hotel Room package (eg BA)
c)Not through a CASHBACK website that routes back through IHG sites <== That is a change from what is the case today
Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by scubaccr
quote email

Dear SCUBACCR,

Take a look at what you can get through booking directly with IHG®:
• Your Rate* – a special rate that’s just for members
• Points that you can earn, track and redeem for rewarding experiences
• Personalised rewards and offers to help you make the most of every stay
• Reward Nights with no blackout dates
• Complimentary upgrades are always a nice surprise

Check out the full list of benefits that you’re guaranteed when you book directly with us.

IHG Corporate don't earn the commisson from hotels when rooms are booked through other non-direct avenues. This is all about directing bookings of @Rewards members so IHG corporate get more commssion and income

Email text statement includes "members must book directly through IHG® "
To me that means Directly, and
a)Not an OTA
b)Not via Arline inclusive Holiday/Hotel Room package (eg BA)
c)Not through a CASHBACK website that routes back through IHG sites <== That is a change from what is the case today

I don't read it as disqualifying cash back, but it looks like FHR and Virtuoso no longer gives IHG benefits.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chrisljo
I don't read it as disqualifying cash back, but it looks like FHR and Virtuoso no longer gives IHG benefits.
I interpreted it the same as you
Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
You would have thought this would have been a good opportunity to announce enhanced benefits and earning points at Kimpton.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
So far, Your Rate is better than anything I've found on other websites.

I wonder if that is going to change. We can get a better rate elsewhere, but won't get some of the goodies that come with Elite status.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Do Cashback sites and travel loyalty programs such as AirMiles, etc, that give travel loyalty points for booking through their portal, not insert an IATA number in the reservation to claim their commissions?

I recall seeing this when booking through Ebates and AirMiles in the past.

If so, IHG will be able to distinguish whether it came through a third party site.

I have not yet received this email, but, it does not bode well for many.

Since Ambassador and RA are also part of the IHG Rewards program (per the T&Cs), this might preclude getting upgrades, benefits, IHG Rewards points, qualifying nights for status and promotions and/or welcome amenities, if booked through a third party.

mxm135
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:19 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
What about GDS bookings done by Corporate Travel Agents? 80% of my bookings is done this way?

Time to give all my business to SPG?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I wonder if that also means bookings through regular travel agents, or through other avenues like Citi Prestige card (4th night free) also cease to receive club benefits and points?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
What about GDS bookings done by Corporate Travel Agents? 80% of my bookings is done this way?

Time to give all my business to SPG?
No you will be ok using cororate booking channels, eg Amex , Carslson Wagonlit etc etc

Although in any case corporate rates are usually coded/flagged as "non-commissionable" so OTA get nothing anyway, although IHG Corporate still counted as non-qual if booked via OTA as against IHG.COM etc or an authorised corporate agent

Quote...
"We’ve made a change. Effective 1 January 2017, members must book directly through IHG® (IHG.com, IHG® App, IHG® brand sites, corporate travel sites, Central Reservations, or Hotel direct) "
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by chrisljo
but it looks like FHR and Virtuoso no longer gives IHG benefits.
I'm quite sure that is not the case, especially not with FHR.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I would think this is aimed at trying to cut the share of business they get through booking.com and Expedia, but there will be collateral damage for those booking via some other third party routes.

Not entirely unexpected, but a disappointment nonetheless to lose this. I've found it quite useful to still get Amabssador benefits whether I book direct or not (and I do both, depending on the situation, which is not always price-related).
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I am also very sure that cashback etc is not impacted. If they were, they would have to close down the entire affiliate programme - which they aren't.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie
So far, Your Rate is better than anything I've found on other websites.

I wonder if that is going to change. We can get a better rate elsewhere, but won't get some of the goodies that come with Elite status.
If you can get a better rate elsewhere, can't you use the "best price guarantee" on ihg.com ... first night is free if you find a lower rate elsewhere? Or is there something disqualifying about the source of your better rates ... like Priceline, etc., which have already not been giving IHG benefits or points (though sometimes you get them, YMMV).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.