Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

2000 bonus points which requires hotel agent to log in with your PIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold

Checking in to the Holiday Inn Express Dubai Airport, I was offered 2k bonus points, but they had to log in to my account on their machine with my PIN. This seems most unusual.

(Being the only business in Dubai which offered to DCC me as well, at a 5% surcharge, I'm even more dubious of them.)
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This does sound a bit shady. If you did it, I hope that you immediately changed your PIN.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:39 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
I can't think of any good reason why they would need your pin. I'd change the pin immediately and report it to IHG Rewards to look into whatever monkey business they have going on there!
I'd also report the use of DCC - I consider it a scam and it reflects badly on IHG if their properties use it.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fyd
I'd also report the use of DCC - I consider it a scam and it reflects badly on IHG if their properties use it.
I agree that it's a scam, but it was only offered as an option. The print-out had two check boxes and you could mark the second one if you wanted to pay 5% more. They weren't pushing it, so I don't consider they were doing anything more than offering a stupidity fee to those who wanted one.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by Kremmen
I agree that it's a scam, but it was only offered as an option. The print-out had two check boxes and you could mark the second one if you wanted to pay 5% more. They weren't pushing it, so I don't consider they were doing anything more than offering a stupidity fee to those who wanted one.
Just regarding DCC, was offered the same at HI Penang when settling dining bills at check-out. Amount in local and CC currency printed for you to decide. I wasn't conscious enough and took the DCC option... But that's a bill less than US$15 so it made no difference whatsoever. (and the rate wasn't too bad either)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Requesting your PIN makes zero sense, and really should be a red flag warning. Even at the hotels which don't post the welcome bonus points at checkin, but instead give you a voucher card for you to do it yourself, you don't need to enter your account PIN when doing so on the website. Just your account number and the voucher code. Like others said, change your PIN if you haven't done so already.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Turns out that what they were intending was that they log in and enroll users in Accelerate!
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
What is DCC? Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milemission
What is DCC? Thanks!
When a merchant offers to rip you off by charging in your credit card's currency instead of the currency of the country you are in at the time.

For more than you will ever want to know, have a look at the DCC thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.