Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will the MarWood merger impact your IHG stays?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Will the MarWood merger impact your IHG stays?

Now, that the Marriott/Starwood merger is done, will it impact your IHG stays?

I'm not sure it will for me until the two programs are combined. I travel for leisure only, about 6 to 8 wks a year. I stay at whatever brand/property that best suits my needs for a particular vacation, with an edge to IHG properties if multiple brands/properties are available.

Currently a Spire Amb. I was a SPG Platinum for life and then moved my business elsewhere (still stay a few nights a year). Now SPG Gold via the Amex Plat. Also Marriott Gold via the Ritz CC.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The programmes are much more combined.

You can status match across both and transfer points.

I shall be matching to Marriott rewards Plat and they will probably pick up a few stays as a result. There aren't enough IC's for IHG to work for me globally.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
It will depends on:
- my RA qualification
- the evolution of SPG program (Platinum status)
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Marriott connecting the two programs doesn't change my stay pattern. IHG fits my needs at the lower end of its spectrum. I stay primarily in HIX and HI properties. They serve as an often cheaper alternative to MR's lower end brands and offer broader geographical coverage in the US. I walked away from SPG years ago specifically because their lower end properties were too hit-or-miss.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

I hope this will light a fire under IHG to merge Kimpton Karma.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Talking

Originally Posted by Troopers

I'm not sure it will for me until the two programs are combined. I travel for leisure only, about 6 to 8 wks a year. I stay at whatever brand/property that best suits my needs for a particular vacation, with an edge to IHG properties if multiple brands/properties are available.

Currently a Spire Amb. I was a SPG Platinum for life and then moved my business elsewhere (still stay a few nights a year). Now SPG Gold via the Amex Plat. Also Marriott Gold via the Ritz CC.
If you were SPG plat for life then shouldnt you still be SPG Plat?

I have used SPG mainly and IHG where SPG is non existant...

I have been staying at Hilton and Choice now too as I have requalled for both my main programs allready I guess I will now test out MaRiot to see what its like?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
SPG Plat <--> MR Plat Match
SPG Gold <--> MR Gold Match(Can't see MR Golds using newfound SPG Gold status for stays somehow)

If "loophole" not closed come Jan2017, I will make 10nights cheapest possible hotels (maybe a mattress run in Asia) of SPG stays to obtain SPG Gold (no great benefits)
.... then match internally with Marriott Gold that requires 50nights.
(or alternatively ask/get MR challenge from Silver-Gold if easier, which I doubt)
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by kauppias
Going forward in 2018 SPG LTP's with 500 nights will probably have to do 250 more nights to make it equal with MR LTP's who had to do 750 nights to reach that level. Disclosure: I'm already at 750 SPG nights so it's a wash for me.

For the last few years I've been comped to MR Gold so I already stay at MR properties when it makes logistical sense. Now that I'm MR Plat I would probably stay at more MR properties, but not in the US where they are mostly terrible. And probably not til 2018 when the programs are merged. If I reach SPG 75 this year I'll be better off than if I do a bunch of MR stays this year.

Did you watch the Pointsguy FB Live video with the VP's of SPG and MR? I hope IHG and IC hotel owners watch that video and see how important they said the Lifetime program is.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Talking

Originally Posted by stimpy
Going forward in 2018 SPG LTP's with 500 nights will probably have to do 250 more nights to make it equal with MR LTP's who had to do 750 nights to reach that level. Disclosure: I'm already at 750 SPG nights so it's a wash for me.

For the last few years I've been comped to MR Gold so I already stay at MR properties when it makes logistical sense. Now that I'm MR Plat I would probably stay at more MR properties, but not in the US where they are mostly terrible. And probably not til 2018 when the programs are merged. If I reach SPG 75 this year I'll be better off than if I do a bunch of MR stays this year.

Did you watch the Pointsguy FB Live video with the VP's of SPG and MR? I hope IHG and IC hotel owners watch that video and see how important they said the Lifetime program is.

My post wasnt meant to talk about the life time status but the OP stated HE WAS LT plat with SPG and now is only gold? confusing

I would doubt that MR would piss off SPG LT Plats by not grandfathering them in. Just my opinion full disclosure I am NOWHERE NEAR LT STATUS IN EITHER PROGRAM and I doubt I will be staying with MR once they merge the programs.

I will be testing them out this year but thats it!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:07 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
So, I'm IHG RA-Spire but definitely will drop to AMB-Spire for 2017. And, am SPG PLT50 (may aim for PLT75, though I think it's more important to requalify Spire and probably won't do both this year.)

I haven't stepped foot in a MR property in decades, as I got burnt out and disappointed with them in the 80's and 90's.

However, looking over the MR properties, it seems that there are many opportunities to take some of the IHG stays and move them (in 2017) to SPG/MR, as the number and, improved, quality of the properties meets or, in some cases, exceeds the IHG properties I usually use, and the rates are competitive especially on the low end properties. I find that not having a breakfast benefit for Spire is the biggest hole in the IHG program, though it seems I can always find a HIX. I'll wait and see how the combination plays out, though I have ticketed my 2017 trips through May so far.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stimpy

Please be aware that MR Plats, and in fact Platinum Premiers, aren't treated any better than MR Golds.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

My post wasnt meant to talk about the life time status but the OP stated HE WAS LT plat with SPG and now is only gold? confusing
Yes, was lifetime plat via SVN 5* elite. Status can be changed/dropped...another way is to not logon to SPG for ~2 years.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Yes. The reason is the unbeatable large upscale and luxury footprint of Marriott in Europe and the advantages of the combined Marriott Rewards and SPG programs. For me now it is like one program, I never wanted to decide for one of them, or one of the both hotel groups, but now the situation is different.

AMB membership I renewed but remaining SPIRE is no more my target. I go for Marriott or SPG Platinum now, plus renewing HH Diamond. The IHG Rewards program incl. bonus points rates and promotions is generous in points earning but I prefer the breakfast benefit and lounge access of HH, MR and SPG.

I will continue to stay at HIX if it makes sense. But more MOXYs to come, and Hampton by Hilton (in Germany).

CP branded hotels I do not use, I cannot identify myself with them. I always have liked Renaissance and Sheraton much more than Crowne Plaza.

HI is not my brand as well but however they provide good value for money.

ICs I stay at sometimes, but more for holidays. There are none in Italy, and many MR/SPG properties. Carlton Cannes is a good reason to stay with IHG, Le Grand Paris also, but Marriott has many top alternatives in Paris. France is the only market in Europe where IHG is well set in the luxury segment.

I have never been a boutique hotel fan but Indigo seems very ok. Staying two nights in Rome this month on points. As we are three, I needed to book two rooms as Indigo unlike IC provides no rooms for 3 people (too small, suites n/a on points).

Kimpton looks very valuable but not available in Europe yet.

The RA program does not convince me nor I understand the qualification criteria (And the RAs themselves also not if you read that thread). In my eyes it must be completely restructured and applicable to a to be built luxury segment division with IC as top brand plus upgraded CPs as "IC light", Indigo and Kimpton (cobranded with "by Intercontinental" - see Accor´s "by Sofitel"), to have an extended visible footprint against Marriott. It looks very fragmentary what IHG does. I do not see they have a future-proof strategy to position them against Marriott in the upscale/luxury segment. As well I see them lose against the excellent midscale strategy of Hilton with Hampton and Tru. And if Hilton would decide to give more priority to their luxury segment in Europe with Waldorf-Astoria, Conrad and Curio brands, IHG could come in trouble without a clear strategy. Maybe Hilton should take over IHG.

Last edited by submonte; Sep 25, 2016 at 10:37 am Reason: lose not loose
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please be aware that MR Plats, and in fact Platinum Premiers, aren't treated any better than MR Golds.
Except on UA planes (for those who had no UA status otherwise). MR Plat (and above) gives UA Silver through RewardsPlus.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Troopers
Not for me. It will for Debbie though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.