Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using IHG points for Thalasso Bora Bora

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Using IHG points for Thalasso Bora Bora

im trying to stay here in June-July 2017, and it appears there is no availability with points, which seems weird. seems alot of people are able to cash in with 50K a night or so. is there a trick to this? or do they not allow points anymore to stay here?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jlucero
im trying to stay here in June-July 2017, and it appears there is no availability with points, which seems weird. seems alot of people are able to cash in with 50K a night or so. is there a trick to this? or do they not allow points anymore to stay here?
Yes book a full year ahead, 1night at a time until you have your week stay on points.

1. Only 5% (a twentieth) of rooms need to be made available to points so if eg hotel has 100 rooms then that means only 5rooms/night available for points reservations

2. No just Bora Bora, but all aspirational destinations will attract those wanting to use points earned elsewhere.

As such IHGers are booking Thalaso and similar a full year ahead , even if they have to mix say 5Award nights with 2paid nights for a weeks stay

3. Because people have to book a year ahead, then plans change and award rooms get released back. Those with 7nights that include some paid nights will be looking daily and snap them up immediately
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

yea, i have heard what you are saying, but what is odd to me is that for Bora Bora Thalasso, nothing available for the next two weeks (september 2016), nor in one year from now, August/Sept 2017.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Yes book a full year ahead, 1night at a time until you have your week stay on points.

1. Only 5% (a twentieth) of rooms need to be made available to points so if eg hotel has 100 rooms then that means only 5rooms/night available for points reservations

2. No just Bora Bora, but all aspirational destinations will attract those wanting to use points earned elsewhere.

As such IHGers are booking Thalaso and similar a full year ahead , even if they have to mix say 5Award nights with 2paid nights for a weeks stay

3. Because people have to book a year ahead, then plans change and award rooms get released back. Those with 7nights that include some paid nights will be looking daily and snap them up immediately
I'm not sure (3) is correct. My understanding is that if the award nights are cancelled they are not automatically added back to the pool. That certainly was the case a couple of years ago.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:24 am

See this long thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ad-merged.html
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:58 am

Is there an exact day of each month that additional months a year out are opened up? For instance, I noticed September 2017 was not opened until around September 20th.

I'm hoping to get a 5 night stay here in Mid-November 2017. Any tips? Should I really be checking the IHG site every single day?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:15 am

See the master thread for lots of tips:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ad-merged.html

Start at post 2453 and read down for recent tips.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by departingBOS
Is there an exact day of each month that additional months a year out are opened up? For instance, I noticed September 2017 was not opened until around September 20th.

I'm hoping to get a 5 night stay here in Mid-November 2017. Any tips? Should I really be checking the IHG site every single day?
Use Hotel Hustle to automate the search for you. But as mentioned, book night-by-night and pounce whenever you find any award night available during your intended stay.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by departingBOS

IHG only allows reservations to be made 50 weeks in advance. You will not see room availability before the end of November 2016 for the dates you want.

mxm135

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.