Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Indigo Singapore Katong (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Hotel Indigo Singapore Katong (Master Thread)

There's a closed thread that informs about the build: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...en-2016-a.html

As there's no dedicated thread, here goes my experience with the property:

Arrival
Even though the hotel and HIX had done a campaign to inform taxi drivers, our driver didn't know where to go - having mentioned in between i12 mall and roxy, the driver immediately knew where to go.
Once at the front desk, staff requested our passports. It took them a long time to understand my nationality and even after I told them my nationality, they chose to use the wrong ISO country code, despite it being present on the passport. Whilst one staff entered the details (they should have done that off of the copy they took), another staff said "oh, we have our own iced coffee - would you like to try?" to which I gladly said yes. Unfortunately, it was not drinkable (too much condensed milk and sugar) but we were then offered miraculously another option - iced tea. that one was drinkable. Staff then asked for my credit card which I declined as I was travelling extensively last and this month and I don't want my card to be blocked at every check-in. Instead, I requested to leave a cash deposit in foreign currency which really threw them off. They said that they would need to check with their manager and asked us to have a seat in their lobby (which is The Pavilion on their website - besides the rooftop pool this is for me the only nice feature in the hotel if it weren't so exposed and small). There, they forgot us for 20 mins. I then went to the front desk and asked if we could have our rooms and another staff took ownership with what seems like a completely lost duty manager standing at the side. She gave us a room on the 15th floor (highest), before were were given a room on floor 11 and said someone would f/up regarding the deposit.
30 mins later, the Front Office Manager and 3 other staff were at the door, offering apologies and a bottle of wine which I declined as I don't drink wine (though my girlfriend does, it would be a spoil as she'll not finish it). As she didn't carry the receipt for my cash deposit with her, we agreed that I'll collect it when coming downstairs. As per the FOM, they were unable to take foreign currency as they wouldn't have a moneychanging license - something that doesn't make sense considering that other properties just take the bill and then return it (or don't take any deposit being a spire member).

Room
The room looks bright and cheerful with its peranakan decor, offers a nescafe machine with 2 caffeinated and 2 non-caffeinated capsules, an open bathroom with a separate toilet. the window of the shower is clearbut has a curtain. other indigo hotels have solved this better by providing a milk glass.
Rooms are small and looking at the website, there's only 2 room types differentiated only by the floor number. On pictures, there seem to be rooms with bath tub, but they seem not to be bookable separately, our room had a plastic chair in that position.

F&B
There's a 'hip' restaurant in the former Joo Chiat Police Station called Baba Chews - on the occasion of our visit they majorly screwed up and so we didn't go for breakfast. Won't go into detail, you can search my review on google along with an image of the lamb rack. Upon complaint at the restaurant we were fully charged, hotel took 50% off - should have been a 100%.
No room service menu in our room.
There's tons of dining options around the hotel - better choose from there.

Staff
Friendly but to keep it with a SG expression - blur - except for one staff nobody had a clue of anything and they hold themselves like this is their first time working in a hotel.

Cleanliness
Our room was dusty and still had dirt from the tile grouting - the project manager of the building should have gotten it cleaned up better.

Overall
Nice place for a romantic getaway once a few kinks are worked out.
If on a budget, the HIX is the much better choice - the indigo actually feels like a painted over budget hotel.
Would not stay for business (no work desk!). In that case, if you need to stay in the area, select Katong Village Hotel (they also have a club floor and properly sized rooms).

Last edited by nvoi; Aug 6, 2016 at 3:08 am
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:50 pm

Thanks for the review nvoi. I'm not familiar with that end of town at all but it looks like it's close to a subway stop. Much better that way than the HIX Clarke Quay.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by db1234db1234
I'm not familiar with that end of town at all but it looks like it's close to a subway stop.
The subway is currently being built - it will be ready sometimes in 2023 as per the current timeline. Construction can already be seen on marine parade road.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:54 pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I have to remember what year I'm in when time traveling. What kind of public transit is available near this hotel? I suppose taxis are relatively cheap in Singapore but I prefer subways if possible.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by db1234db1234
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I have to remember what year I'm in when time traveling. What kind of public transit is available near this hotel? I suppose taxis are relatively cheap in Singapore but I prefer subways if possible.
Bus 36 comes straight from the airport and goes on to orchard road. The nearest mrt is Paya Lebar which will take about 10-15 mins to reach by bus. I would, depending on how much time you have on hand and how many people are travelling, take the taxi most of the times.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:00 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nvoi
F&B
There's a 'hip' restaurant in the former Joo Chiat Police Station called Baba Chews - on the occasion of our visit they majorly screwed up and so we didn't go for breakfast. Won't go into detail, you can search my review on google along with an image of the lamb rack.
Tried to google your review (hotel name+nvoi/hotel name+google review) but nothing obvious came up... Can you point me to the right place? Even when looking at the 4 hotel reviews shown on google when I google the hotel, I don't think yours is among it.

HTB.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by htb
Tried to google your review (hotel name+nvoi/hotel name+google review) but nothing obvious came up... Can you point me to the right place? Even when looking at the 4 hotel reviews shown on google when I google the hotel, I don't think yours is among it.

HTB.
It shows when you google the restaurant name and then click on Google reviews.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:39 am

Hotel Review

Just finished a stay here and it was amazing!!! http://jerrremy.wixsite.com/pointhig...ngapore-Katong
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Stayed there recently. I booked a Premier King Room with Tub which has a bathtub in the room instead of a plastic chair. Much better, the bathtub is circular and about 1.5 meters in diameter and can comfortably fit one person.

I was given a drinks voucher as Platinum (Gold, Platinum and Spire all get a drinks voucher - gold gets house wine, platinum gets additional choice of sparkling wine, and spire gets additional choice of cocktails).

Also, it isn't very clear from the IHG booking page, but the Premier King Room with Tub comes with free breakfast at their Baba Chews restaurant and late checkout at 3pm.

Full review: http://www.TheAlphaLion.com/review-h...oom-with-bath/

Last edited by thealphalion; Apr 24, 2017 at 5:43 pm
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club - Platinum
Stayed at this property around 2 weeks ago. For most visitors to Singapore, they may think the hotel is a bit out of the way with its Katong location (there is no MRT station nearby). However, the neighborhood where the hotel is situated in is quite interesting and offers a lot in the way of under-the-radar attractions.

All rooms (even the entry-level ones) are essentially of the same size but there are 3 room types with the nuances more evident when it comes to the amenities. Like thealphalion pointed out, you get free breakfast and late checkout for the rooms with tubs so I would recommend that for better value.

Wrote a more detailed review here: http://iwandered.net/2017/04/15/hote...katong-review/
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: free agent
Any recent stay at this hotel? From reviews, it seems good value for redeeming IHG points in expensive city like Singapore, especially with 4th night free. Is bus doable for going to downtown, clark quay, or orchard or I'm far better to stick with grab/taxi?

Rooftop pool look awesome enough. How about wifi? See some complaints about slow speeds.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Any recent stay at this hotel? From reviews, it seems good value for redeeming IHG points in expensive city like Singapore, especially with 4th night free. Is bus doable for going to downtown, clark quay, or orchard or I'm far better to stick with grab/taxi?

Rooftop pool look awesome enough. How about wifi? See some complaints about slow speeds.
I haven't stayed at the property, but I can offer you some tips on transportation since I used to live a two minutes walk away from the property for 17 years.

Bus is more than doable, but don't take the buses on the Upper East Coast Road side since they're SLOW and they meander through the small and/or slow roads. The buses on the Marine Parade Road side (facing the Mercure is/on the way to Parkway Parade is) are much faster. Bus 36 and 48 in particular takes the expressway. Bus 36 on the Parkway side would take maybe half an hour to Suntec City (that's its first stop off the expressway), and it's relatively easy to get around via MRT on the Circle and Downtown line from there. It heads into Orchard via Dhoby Ghaut too but I tend to feel changing is faster. Bus 48 will get you direct to Bugis (also about half an hour, same expressway) and Little India and all the way to the Botanic Gardens and Holland Village, but for those I recommend you change to the Downtown line once it gets off the expressway and stops at Bugis MRT. Clarke Quay is pretty doable via the North-East line when you alight at Little India.

Bus 36 on the side of Marine Parade Road nearer to the Mercure would head you straight to the airport (and takes the expressway too). I generally found Grab/Taxi not really worth it for the places you want to go (except Clarke Quay), since they take the same routes and don't offer too much of a time saving unless you really can't endure the possibility of standing during peak hour and/or the three/four bus stops the bus takes before heading up the expressway.

​​​​​​The good thing about the property is that the entire Joo Chiat/Peranakan district is at your doorstep, and the famed Katong Laksa too. And one of my favourite ice cream places (Birds of Paradise), which ranks up there with Intelligentsia in Eindhoven for me.

Of course if you can wait till 2023/2024 the new Thomson-East Coast line will make things somewhat faster!
Old Jul 6, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Looks like the eastern extension of the Thomson–East Coast MRT (metro) line won't be complete until 2024 at the earliest, which means this hotel will remain without nearby access to the MRT system for a while.

Here are 2 maps of the planned MRT stations near the hotel which are NOT open yet.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Jul 6, 2023 at 10:12 am
Old Jul 13, 2023, 3:53 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Stayed here recently and mostly enjoyed my stay.
Here's my pros and cons

PROs

-Right next door to the Holiday inn Express Singapore Katong

-Really nice decor in the rooms. The made a true effort to make the hotel look unique and colourful.

-Modern walk in shower with nice retro decor.

-Decent, to excellent good views from the "heritage" rooms depending on how high your floor is.

-Rooftop swimming pool is really nice, but not that deep. Amazing 180 degree views from the rooftop area which includes the pool and a bar area with about 10 tables.

-Interesting surrounding area, with many traditional shophouse buildings, local restaurants, cafes, bars, convenience stores and a 5 story shopping mall called "i12 Katong" all nearby. Supermarket located in the basement of the shopping mall.

-In room safe available

-Friendly staff and nice decor throughout the hotel.

CONs

-No Nearby MRT (metro) station until the new one opens in the year 2024.

-No coin laundry in the hotel (The next door Holiday Inn express DOES have one, but not sure if you can go across and use it.)

-Windows can NOT be opened for fresh air

-The bathroom setup in the "heritage" rooms is really weird. The toilet is in its own separate (very small) room near the entrance, while the shower and sink area is right by the very big floor to ceiling windows looking down onto a VERY BUSY sidewalk and street below. Who on earth thought is was a good idea to arrange the shower and sink right where the best views are ?? Added to this, the windows are NOT frosted or even shaded in any way, which means that is you forget to lower the blinds EVERYONE on the busy sidewalk and street below can see you CLEARLY in the shower, especially at night with the lights on. There is even a sticker in the window which says "The view from the window may be nice, but do remember the view is two ways. Please draw the blinds for your privacy." Remember that there is even a law in Singapore that says the police can fine (and possibly arrest) you if you are naked in a private property, if you are still visible to people not inside the property with you. Singapore is known for being very strict with all its laws, so its not improbable the police will turn up at hotel reception if you forget to lower the blinds fully while showering. They really could have thought this through better. It just seems poor planning both from a legal standpoint, and from a practical aspect. Putting the showers near the room entrance would have been a much better solution.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Jul 13, 2023 at 4:05 am
Old Today, 10:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
PROs

-Right next door to the Holiday inn Express Singapore Katong
Just curious, why is this a pro?

Wikipedia says Katong Park and Tanjong Katong stations scheduled to open 23 June 2024. Does anyone know which station will be closer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.