Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convince me not to cancel the IHG card, please?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by wlau
I am in the same boat. Love Hyatt and use IHG as backup. However, my travel budget was cut and I have to go to Asia a lot, so I have to use IHG as primary. A lot of really old crappy properties, hardly any perks at the system-level for Platinum and Aspire. With the exception of Holiday Inn Express, there are not many new builds. Service, amenity, and property quality is extremely inconsistent. The only worthy thing about IHG is the somewhat good quarterly promotion and the ocassional good find on the Point Break list.
You're in the wrong program if you're looking for high-standard properties and lavish elite benefits. The strength of the IHG portfolio has always been its wide footprint, achieved primarily through its lower end properties. The strength of the IHG rewards program has always been earn-and-burn, not special recognition on-property.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
You're in the wrong program if you're looking for high-standard properties and lavish elite benefits. The strength of the IHG portfolio has always been its wide footprint, achieved primarily through its lower end properties. The strength of the IHG rewards program has always been earn-and-burn, not special recognition on-property.
No, that's not true. IHG is just like similar chains, it offers properties cross different luxe and price categories. Other programs are much more rewarding... Earn-and-burn or not, a program like this should have basic function of rewarding regular customers by providing a slightly better experience, which this program does not do very well..
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by wlau
Earn-and-burn or not, a program like this should have basic function of rewarding regular customers by providing a slightly better experience, which this program does not do very well..
I think darthbimmer is stating what the program is. You are stating what you want think the program should be.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
The $49 annual fee is a good value in exchange for the free night at just about any property, and especially for the higher-dollar properties in Europe.

Outside of that, if you're expecting flamboyant red-carpet experiences at HIX in Dingleberry, Alabama by virtue of holding a credit card, yes, I'd say cancel.

However, if you stay with IHG a lot (insert your own definition of "a lot" here), then holding the CC is an effective force multiplier for earning. You'll get your extra 5 points/dollar and your 10% back from any redemptions. So you can definitely stretch your points further.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by FonzieBone
However, if you stay with IHG a lot (insert your own definition of "a lot" here), then holding the CC is an effective force multiplier for earning. You'll get your extra 5 points/dollar and your 10% back from any redemptions. So you can definitely stretch your points further.
ironically, it doesn't make sense for me to put spend on the card

5 pts/dollar, people value IHG points at $0.005-0.007/pt, so I get 2.25-3.5x per dollar

other cards give better value (citi premier 3x travel, csp 2x travel if you value it >1.5x... along with their respective AF of course)
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Pity you're not traveling outside the U.S. I rather enjoyed my one night stay this week at the IC in Sydney.

There are a few attic rooms on the 8th floor of the Holiday Inn Old Sydney at The Rock you get the view of Opera House! It is right above the tower-like old building when you look directly out the inclined window. Much nicer view than the IC room picture posted. There is no blockage on either side of the Opera House view, except at the bottom so you dont see the water.

We stayed there in 2009 when the Vivid Sydney was in its 2nd year - each night we returned to our room, we waited a few min before turned on the light as the laser show projected on the Opera House was magical. This year we returned for the Vivid but stayed at Park Hyatt. A 5 times more expensive hotel yet the room does not give this effect.

HI Old Sydney is within 3 min walk to the ridiculously expensive Park Hyatt Sydney for the reference of location.

Our certs always are used in international properties. 2 years ago were at IC Hong Kong. Will most likely use them at the same place this year. Last year used it at Staybridge London - a brand new hotel in a residential neighborhood. Very nice property with very decent breakfast, all rooms have full kitchen facilities. Spire and Plat status acknowledged. Amenities offered. All in all a very satisfactory usage of the certs. Hotel was at 260 GBP after taxes. At 1.45 it is $377 a night.

Even inside US there are still plenty of places that cost a lot. Take LAX almost always at $200 and up for any brand any chain.

If anyone has question on the value of the free night cert good anywhere in the world, something is wrong in the logic of thinking.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 23, 2016 at 12:07 am
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I cannot imagine ever canceling this card, at least until they realize how much they're giving away for just $49. Between the free night anywhere, the increased points I earn as a Platinum and the benefits of being Platinum (I've already had a suite upgrade this year as well as welcome amenities), the card pays for itself many times over.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by tom911
Yes. Was advised of if on check-in due to IHG Platinum status.
For my free night, I got upgrade to Royal Botanic Gardens (Eastern Harbour View), which is one level below your "Harbor Bridge view" (according to the $$$)
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:12 pm

I switched to IHG earlier this year because the hotel group I had previously had a card for simply did not have hotels in most places I needed/wanted to stay.

My tastes in a hotel are simple - clean, free hot breakfast, a hot tub, free wifi, free parking and cookies in the lobby. But, I realize that is different from those who want more services and comfort.

So far IHG has managed to upgrade my room about 1/2 the time I have stayed there, and I even scored a room for 5,000 points when I had a long drive ending in a small state in FlyOver country.

So, for me, $49 is a good value in a HI or HIX room.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
It depends on your travel patterns, of course.
But if you can, use the free night at places such as Le Grand in Paris, the Amstel in Amsterdam, the Thalasso in Bora Bora, the Willard in DC,
These are heads, shoulders and waists above Hyatts, and for $49 you get a $500 to $1000 room.
NB of course if you stay in Hyatts, get the Hyatt card, but remember that while you get 2 free nights to sign up at ANY Hyatt, upon renewal, every year thereafter you get a single night in only the bottom half of Hyatts -- while with the IHG Rewards card, you get a single night in ANY ICH property. Use it for a splurge.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:10 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Saving my free IHG night for a NYC Times Square trip, easily worth $400+ per night.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm using mine for a stay in London at the IC Park Lane, 400 pounds per night. My $49 annual fee has paid for itself 8 times over.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: Skypass MMC, Delta Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium
Well, having the card gives you a platinum status.
With 5 points per dollar spent, it is easy to get to spire elite.
While no guaranteed spire benefits are good enough to justify being loyal to IHG, properties outside US, especially the ones in Asia, seem to grant you enough spire benefits. Also properties are much better maintained and equipped than US properties, though it is also true for Hyatt properties in Asia.
Every time I stay at Asian IHG property, they upgrade me to the club level when the property has club lounge (except IC Hong Kong). Also they would sometimes offer me breakfast.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just had another stay at a Holiday Inn in suburban Chicago. During check in I was told I was upgraded to a suite without asking. That's my second suite upgrade this year. That plus all the extra points easily makes the card worth it, even before I consider the free night cert.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta GM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tony300S
Saving my free IHG night for a NYC Times Square trip, easily worth $400+ per night.
Skip the HI and go for EVEN in this location. The HI room was tiny and I wouldn't stay there again. The EVEN is a new location with spacious rooms and great service. I also preferred the EVEN location (side street vs main street) for ease of Uber/Lyft pickup.

-Steph

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.