Wiki Posts
Search

Barclaycard (UK) free night certificate question

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Barclaycard (UK) free night certificate question

I have used free night certificates several times at places such as Intercontinental Park Lane, Crowne Plaza NYC and various other IHg properties and the stay has indeed been "free".

I've just looked at using two current vouchers I have and several hotels I have looked at, although showing free, when clicking on the rate details are showing "Barclaycard free night" with a rate ranging anywhere from $60 to $100 and in some cases additional service charges of $27-$45. I'm more than a bit astounded that a"free" night could cost anything up to $150. I'm not looking at peak season or prime location.

Is this something new or have I lucked out in the past not being charged it?
Old May 17, 2016, 11:42 am

I've got.two voucher's to use.
Can you book them online?

Originally Posted by scottish minnie
I have used free night certificates several times at places such as Intercontinental Park Lane, Crowne Plaza NYC and various other IHg properties and the stay has indeed been "free".

I've just looked at using two current vouchers I have and several hotels I have looked at, although showing free, when clicking on the rate details are showing "Barclaycard free night" with a rate ranging anywhere from $60 to $100 and in some cases additional service charges of $27-$45. I'm more than a bit astounded that a"free" night could cost anything up to $150. I'm not looking at peak season or prime location.

Is this something new or have I lucked out in the past not being charged it?
Old May 17, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Seems to be an IT bug.

I am at Le Grand tonight on a Barclays cert and the only surprise was the bottle of champagne on ice delivered to my room (which may be compo for some issues when I was here with my kids last year).
Old May 17, 2016, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
Seems to be an IT bug.

I am at Le Grand tonight on a Barclays cert and the only surprise was the bottle of champagne on ice delivered to my room (which may be compo for some issues when I was here with my kids last year).
I'll wait until its fixed then. I thought it was the latest enhancement from IHG and was deciding the card definitely wasn't worth it
Old May 17, 2016, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigmmorq4
I've got.two voucher's to use.
Can you book them online?
The free nights from Barclaycard appear on the left hand side of the screen when you log into your account. If you click on "free nights" it then takes you to the status screen where it has the option to search for availability using your free nights.

I'm not logged in right now so my terminology may be a bit adrift however you can definitely do it online.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Update - not a glitch :(

So a bit of an update -

the problem didn't seem to disappear so I called IHG customer care people.

Apparently IHG hotels can, at their discretion, levy a room charge for a "free" night certificate in addition to any resort fees, service charges etc so the adviser explained it is perfectly possible for the free night to incur costs of circa $150.

There is no quick way of knowing which hotels do this unless you attempt to book using your free night and review each selected hotel individually.

Another disappointment from IHG from my perspective. Perhaps the "free night" certificate should be renamed "discounted" - seems very misleading.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
That is almost certainly complete nonsense.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by scottish minnie
So a bit of an update -

the problem didn't seem to disappear so I called IHG customer care people.

Apparently IHG hotels can, at their discretion, levy a room charge for a "free" night certificate in addition to any resort fees, service charges etc so the adviser explained it is perfectly possible for the free night to incur costs of circa $150.

There is no quick way of knowing which hotels do this unless you attempt to book using your free night and review each selected hotel individually.

Another disappointment from IHG from my perspective. Perhaps the "free night" certificate should be renamed "discounted" - seems very misleading.

Which hotels are you looking at?
Old May 27, 2016, 7:15 am

I believe those are rates paid by IHG to the hotels as a compensation, and therefore have nothing to do with you. This is a common bug widely observed in the IHG app, but I don't remember anyone encounter it on their website.
Old May 28, 2016, 3:11 am

Programs: Priority Platinum
I've had this a few times where there appears to be charges or taxes etc to be paid on the booking confirmation but apart from The Willard I think I've never had to lay them. This would be for properties in Europe and the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.