Search

NYC Times Sq - Best Choice?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC foot soldier
NYC Times Sq - Best Choice?

Hi,

Myself and wife are in NYC for 4 nights in mid June. I currently have 180,000 points and I would be looking to use these to pay for the rooms. I appreciate that the Crowne Plaza is 45k per night and that the INtercontinental is 50k. I am also a Platinum member. Apart from breakfast, we will not be planning on eating in the hotel nor will be looking to use any fitness suites. So for us it all about location and any additional useful benefits.

I would really like some advise on where the best chance of an upgrade might be, free breakfast, club rooms, late check outs and generally what might be seen as the best option.

All help and useful comments appreciated.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Explore Ambassador membership and the associated BOGO and late checkout and upgrades. I would be inclined to book two nights via the BOGO and two nights via points. And do book a premium high floor room via the BOGO. Remember location in NYC is both horizontal and vertical.

If least cost are the priorities do book four nights via points at the Crowne Plaza but expect four nights in the standard room.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:39 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Given that Plat is not even the highest IHG Rewards status any longer (you can pretty much get it with signing up for the IHG credit card in the US) for IC stays only Royal Ambassador or Ambassador give any committed benefits. I would say of your desired list of potential benefits / goodies at the IC TS maybe an upgraded room (higher floor / better view) could be possible, but not a sure thing. In the IC status guest "pecking order" (and ignoring actual VIPs or so) your status will feature only after RA, AMB and Spire.

Possibly a non-IC hotel may treat you a bit better (I never stayed at the CP TS) as RA or AMB don't matter there so after Spire your Platinum status would be the highest (and some hotel staff still think Platinum is actually top tier). If you decide to stay at the IC TS expect to receive what you booked and you won't be disappointed. YMMV.

Ohh and book the IC TS before Feb 17, 2016 or it will cost you 60K per night versus 50K right now.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC foot soldier
Thanks demue and view-with-a-room.

All comments understood and make perfect sense.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Both hotels are going up in price on 17 Feb so book before then! CP goes to 50k and IC to 60k.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, MilesandSmiles Elite, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Hello,

I have just been through the same decision process for a 4 night stay in late August 2016 for me, my wife and my daughter.

We went with 4 nights in the IC Times Square using the following;

2 Nights paid using the Ambassador BOGO voucher
2 Nights on points - 100,000K

I am a Spire Ambassador, so hopeful of an room upgrade, and also will use the late check out on the final day.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:12 am

I am going in October and staying at IC

2 nights on Ambassador BOGO
3 nights on points - 150k
1 night on credit card free night
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:27 pm
HAT

Programs: BA, IHG, Hyatt
Staying at IC Times Square next month, booked 4 nights with points (200k). Spire Amb here so hope I can get a nice room.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by parklife
Both hotels are going up in price on 17 Feb so book before then! CP goes to 50k and IC to 60k.
I don't see any recent threads about price increases. Are rates going up for all IHG hotels next week? Or just select properties?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I don't see any recent threads about price increases. Are rates going up for all IHG hotels next week? Or just select properties?
Some are going up, some down

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...s-changes.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.