Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When a boys band complains about breakfast at IC on Twitter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Talking When a boys band complains about breakfast at IC on Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/thetidena...08946464931840

Comments of the fans are, well, surprised to see their favourite boys band at the IC.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He was at the Intercontinental Ana Hotel in Roppongi (judging from the carpet) and had a room service breakfast
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBTr0MckAeD/

That waffle didn't look good and I don't doubt the bacon description.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Interesting case on how can social media can ruin a hotel reputation, and more generally a product or service (look how Givenchy or Balmain, in the couture business, use social media to attract their current and future customers - including GenY).

Did anyone even know at ANA IC that the boys band has 96k followers on Instagram?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Interesting case on how can social media can ruin a hotel reputation, and more generally a product or service (look how Givenchy or Balmain, in the couture business, use social media to attract their current and future customers - including GenY).

Did anyone even know at ANA IC that the boys band has 96k followers on Instagram?
I doubt that very many of those 96k followers knew which actual hotel was being complained about. There are three InterContinentals in Tokyo, and another in Yokohama. The guy who posted didn't specify.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
I doubt that very many of those 96k followers knew which actual hotel was being complained about. There are three InterContinentals in Tokyo, and another in Yokohama. The guy who posted didn't specify.
What the 90k followers on Twitter see: IC is crap when they could see: IC is soooooo cool.

It makes a big difference.

Again, two questions
- Did IC know that they have a special guest (at social media times) and how did they deal with that?
- How did they deal with the post? Very poorly obviously.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
He was at the Intercontinental Ana Hotel in Roppongi (judging from the carpet) and had a room service breakfast
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBTr0MckAeD/

That waffle didn't look good and I don't doubt the bacon description.
Would make sense, I was there last week and there were hoards of girls in reception for two days, I didn't think they were there for me
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Probably makes ALL the IC hotels there look bad. and the 96K is just the beginning... there were other people tweeting / retweeting about it, and THEY also had thousands -- even tens of thousands -- of followers.

Of course, I question how many of those followers (and not their parents) would be potential IC patrons.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
One would hope though, that hotels would care to be good too all guests, not just the once that have many followers on social media.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Ok I saw the IG and OMG that waffle was HARD! That is terrible and you know that waffle is costing a pretty penny for room service in an IC.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johhenrik
One would hope though, that hotels would care to be good too all guests, not just the once that have many followers on social media.
Indeed
But you must know that, in addition to revenue contribution, in more and more businesses is analysed the image impact (through digital media) of customers.

And some hotels might give some better treatment when image impact is higher:
http://adage.com/article/digitalnext...scores/146189/
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I have a good feeling that those following these band's tweets were never going to be staying at an IC hotel unless their parents are paying for it. The "bad PR" impact of this is minimal at best.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:22 pm
Suspended

The influence of Twitter is massively overblown. If these guys have 96,000 followers, fewer than 5,000 are likely to have even seen the tweet.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:24 pm
BJM

Programs: UA
What's worse than a hard waffle? Some noob taking to twitter about his hard waffle. Lucky he has the means to enjoy a hardy breakfast. Some don't. To take to social media over something so trite is distasteful. Kinda like that waffle, I suppose.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by RobDBA
Would make sense, I was there last week and there were hoards of girls in reception for two days, I didn't think they were there for me
Maybe they were there for the waffles
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I have a good feeling that those following these band's tweets were never going to be staying at an IC hotel unless their parents are paying for it. The "bad PR" impact of this is minimal at best.
This is the exact opposite strategy some couture house like Givenchy have on social media: have influence on social media influencers (who might be young) to increase heavily the awareness of the brand.

Imagine that the 96,000 followers have seen a Twitter like: super cool hotel.

Don't you remember John Lennon's picture at Hilton Amsterdam at a time none of us were customers at Hilton?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.