Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feb 17 2016 Reward Night Points Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Concerto
Like I say, they're pretty unforgiving price hikes and they affect most major hotels that are potentially useful, such as those in the major cities. 30k to 40k is a major hike. I view this devaluation pretty poorly in fact, to the point where it is barely worth struggling with these constant points shower promos such as Accelerate. It makes me look at individual hotels that are not part of a chain in the places I want to go to, such as those nice ones often recommended in the Lonely Planet guide which can be full of character. I cite hotels.com as having the best and fairest bonus program.
Once I burn through my IHG points (I may get another CC as my 24 month clock is about over), I will be done with the program. I don't even care for the properties that much to begin with.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:22 pm

Did anyone notice some hotels already changed their category in Jan 2016? For example, in Shanghai, Holiday Inn Jinxiu was 10K and now 15K. HIX Zhabei was 10K and now 15K. I redeemed reward night as late as Dec 22, 2015 with the old rate in order to fulfill the C&P requirement for the Accelerate promotion. That's why I realized the stealth increase of these properties beside the official list.

As for Hong Kong, last year they raised the categories for the lower end properties. This year they raise the high end ones (so to speak, we have high end HIX!). Not happy with that.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Had a chance to think about the increases ! Is it really a devaluation if IHG is simply resetting number if stayed nights needed to earn a free award night back to same ratio as in Jan2013?

As hotel rates increase with inflation or recovery in demand, then the number of paid nights needed to stay in an hotel to earn a free night in same hotel on points actually falls.
As such you see points deflation, in that our redemption value ratio of money per point over time increases, certainly since last major tweak in Jan2013

Personally I don't think increases are due to. spire 100% bonus , although at non-IC hotels I earn 1/3rd more points now but it probably ensures I don't need more paid nights per free night than I did in 2013.
For the IC 10k increases I get no extra points as RAs got 100% before, but I was earning 50k quicker due to higher nightly rates these days

And at costlier ICs on multi nighters too, IC-PL more due to removal of 2k + 2k + 1.3k fixed points per multi night stay though. as now just 5x 2night or 3x 3night = 10nights stayed earned me 50k, still 10nights but only 3stays not 10stays
Obviously reverse is true for $100 a night ICs where single night stays earn about 2k now, and no longer 5.3k per single night stay but these ICs rates did not increase

If IHG never revalued number of points needed per night, then by 2022 I'd need just half the paid number of nights in London for my free award nights compared to 2013 which would be non sustainable by both IHG and individual hotels
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OnePassLover
Did anyone notice some hotels already changed their category in Jan 2016? For example, in Shanghai, Holiday Inn Jinxiu was 10K and now 15K. HIX Zhabei was 10K and now 15K. I redeemed reward night as late as Dec 22, 2015 with the old rate in order to fulfill the C&P requirement for the Accelerate promotion. That's why I realized the stealth increase of these properties beside the official list.

As for Hong Kong, last year they raised the categories for the lower end properties. This year they raise the high end ones (so to speak, we have high end HIX!). Not happy with that.
I booked a night at the HIX Zhabei on 19 January and recall that it was 10,000 points then, so this must be very recent, but I do also see it at 15,000 today. Also, the HI Hangzhou City Center was most certainly 10,000 points last August went I stayed and I see it now at 15,000 as well.

Definitely something fishy going on here.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I booked a night at the HIX Zhabei on 19 January and recall that it was 10,000 points then, so this must be very recent, but I do also see it at 15,000 today. Also, the HI Hangzhou City Center was most certainly 10,000 points last August went I stayed and I see it now at 15,000 as well.

Definitely something fishy going on here.
There were a few changed without warning not long after the category changes took place. Looks like they are doing it before this year.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ds-nights.html
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
There were a few changed without warning not long after the category changes took place. Looks like they are doing it before this year.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ds-nights.html

the list with point redemption changes is just a service from IHG for the most big changes. required points for reward night are nowhere fixed and so can be changed and are changed without prior announcement. seen in that light the announcing of the bigger changes is just fair play.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by OnePassLover
Did anyone notice some hotels already changed their category in Jan 2016?.
Yes. Several of the IC's I checked the day of the announcement were still 50K but now are at 60K weeks before their scheduled increase.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Yokdoc
the list with point redemption changes is just a service from IHG for the most big changes. required points for reward night are nowhere fixed and so can be changed and are changed without prior announcement. seen in that light the announcing of the bigger changes is just fair play.
Did anyone say they couldn't change them without notice?

I think the point being made here is they announce changes and then manage slip another couple in after (or before in this case) the event.

In the case of Glasgow last year someone had clearly looked at the city in detail, more than half the properties in the city went up then a few weeks later the CP was also increased. If anything last year this was the hotel people in Scotland had expected to increase considering that since the last "Review" two years prior a whopping big 23,000 capacity concert arena had been built next door.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:11 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
I want to book the Maldives Holiday Inn, before it goes from 35000 to 40000..
I wanted to use the cash+points options at 25k+$70, but unfortunately I have only 24865 points.. anyone has any idea how I can get 135 points ? buying is only in multiples of 1000

can I use points from my wife's account ??
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flyfromscratch
I wanted to use the cash+points options at 25k+$70, but unfortunately I have only 24865 points.. anyone has any idea how I can get 135 points ? buying is only in multiples of 1000

Get an IHG credit card and take your wife to a dinner worth at least $67.50
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:34 am

Try calling & asking a CSR if they'll spot you the extra points. Some airlines & hotel chains are flexible that way if you ask; worst case, they say no.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:44 pm

join the dine and earn thing - i picked up several thousand add'l points from that last year just eating at local restaurants i would normally eat at when i'm not on the road
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:53 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Get an IHG credit card and take your wife to a dinner worth at least $67.50
Originally Posted by ultimatesooner
join the dine and earn thing - i picked up several thousand add'l points from that last year just eating at local restaurants i would normally eat at when i'm not on the road
Guess you din notice - my location is Abu Dhabi.. Dine and earn is not an option.. Ah, if only I was still in US
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:54 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Originally Posted by beltway
Try calling & asking a CSR if they'll spot you the extra points. Some airlines & hotel chains are flexible that way if you ask; worst case, they say no.
Hey, thanks man.. did not think of that.. will try it and report back..
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Surprised no Anaheim properties were changed.
Not sure but I think most of the Anahiem properties went down. The Hotel Indigo is only 30k/night and the new HIX is only 20k/night.

Just booked several nights at the new HIX for only 20k/night. Great value to visit Micky and Minnie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.