Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
wld be good if cld you trade the three excess night?

here, or on Insideflyer?
That sounds dodgy !

I'm currently at an IC and asked them how best to handle it. Their view is that any attempt by the hotel to change the reservation will, in effect, result in cancellation and rebooking. And, of course, the new points reservation would be at the regular points rate.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That sounds dodgy !

I'm currently at an IC and asked them how best to handle it. Their view is that any attempt by the hotel to change the reservation will, in effect, result in cancellation and rebooking. And, of course, the new points reservation would be at the regular points rate.
another option you cld consider is to stay the three nights, then cancel the remaining three nights, and ask for the refund of what, 15K points?

have you asked them in Makarti, if you cld do that?

you really just need to find someone reasonable there, it may take a few calls
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Family stuff that came up means I'll have to cancel a 6-day PB stay, or (preferably) leave after just 3 nights.

I know cancellation is simple and no cost, but I'm not sure if curtailing a stay is penalty-free (other than losing the 5K points per night). Has anyone got insight into this ?

(And yes, I know I should have booked the stay as two 3-night packages )
A multiple night award night booking is not really different from a multinight flex booking.

Once cancel date/time passes or checkin occurs , whichever happens first the whole stay is de facto uncancelable as cancel date/time refers to ones first night

However on flex/award multinight stays most hotels operate an early departure fee, typically 1nights room rate.
If you depart after 3rd night hotel can refund the remaining 15k PB points and charge the CC 1nights room rate , so it could be cheaper to write off 15k points of nominal $105 value

If your PB (or flex) is cancel until say 4pm/6pm on arrival day, you probably can during checkin before the cancel deadline, tell reception you only need first 3nights and hotel will manually update your res to refund nights 4-6 points without any penalty. Problem is not all stays are still under terms cancel on day of arrival anymore

If PB already sold out , never have helpdesk or hotel modify booking before arrival, as the modify ends up being a cancel+rebook to shorten the stay and you pay rebook nights at full award points rates.
It is usually easier and cheaper and safer to swallow the loss of 5k a night and have hotel check you out in your absence at noon after last booked night
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by scubaccr
However on flex/award multinight stays most hotels operate an early departure fee, typically 1nights room rate.
If you depart after 3rd night hotel can refund the remaining 15k PB points and charge the CC 1nights room rate , so it could be cheaper to write off 15k points of nominal $105 value
Yes, this is what I thought, and I was perfectly resigned to "losing" the 3x5K points. The concern was whether the hotel would wish to apply the early departure fee, regardless: which could work out rather expensive.

And, again yes: I've run into the unexpected result of a hotel being helpful and rearranging my PB stay. The new dates (a week earlier) went through perfectly, but the hotel - and I! - were horrified to find the new stay was at the full Reward rate.

Priority Club acted very generously, and credited me with the difference in points: I'm not at all sure they would be so forgiving agin..
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Yes, this is what I thought, and I was perfectly resigned to "losing" the 3x5K points. The concern was whether the hotel would wish to apply the early departure fee, regardless: which could work out rather expensive.

And, again yes: I've run into the unexpected result of a hotel being helpful and rearranging my PB stay. The new dates (a week earlier) went through perfectly, but the hotel - and I! - were horrified to find the new stay was at the full Reward rate.

Priority Club acted very generously, and credited me with the difference in points: I'm not at all sure they would be so forgiving agin..
good outcome^
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I have quietly left a 9day Sat-Sun PB 2nights early saying nothing, I don't take risk of telling hotel as one usually has no idea how greedy an hotel owner is for the possible extra income over the award night pittance.

If I am leaving early on a BAR stay these days (or 1day early on flex) I now just quietly leave, as after a stay a few years ago where I let desk know at a sold out hotel (no doubt they then resold my nights ) and I annoyingly received zero credits for those extra paid upfront nights.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
How far ahead do they release the preview of the upcoming pointsbreak?
Also I noticed a PP said he had a PB of 9nights, i thought you could only do 2 nights?

I am new to the whole PB thing and IHG since I just got the card this past October and have since been trying to maximize everything I can! lol
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: ICH Plt Royal Amb, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Plat, HHons,
Originally Posted by miadukes
Also I noticed a PP said he had a PB of 9nights, i thought you could only do 2 nights?

I am new to the whole PB thing and IHG since I just got the card this past October and have since been trying to maximize everything I can! lol
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:12 pm

Two reservations per hotel, they can be for any number of nights.

Onthego15 posted all the previous dates for the last couple years and they predicted the preview will be January 25th. These predictions are usually fairly accurate. The list is post #2 in this thread.

This list will also cover Easter. Should any more aspirational properties make the list I would expect them to go very quickly.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
Two reservations per hotel, they can be for any number of nights.

Onthego15 posted all the previous dates for the last couple years and they predicted the preview will be January 25th. These predictions are usually fairly accurate. The list is post #2 in this thread.

This list will also cover Easter. Should any more aspirational properties make the list I would expect them to go very quickly.
Oh ok thanks! I don't know why i understood 2 nights only! I'm glad i asked and clarified this!
I saw the list earlier or well a list of when they actually come out more or less but do they do a preview or all of a sudden boom new list?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:41 pm

Oh ok thanks! I don't know why i understood 2 nights only! I'm glad i asked and clarified this!
I saw the list earlier or well a list of when they actually come out more or less but do they do a preview or all of a sudden boom new list?
The two nights/stays confuses a lot of people but it's definitely two stays and not nights.

Normally you get a preview a day or two before. Keep an eye on here and loyalty lobby and you get the list as soon as it is known.

Hope you get something interesting when the list goes live.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
The two nights/stays confuses a lot of people but it's definitely two stays and not nights.

Normally you get a preview a day or two before. Keep an eye on here and loyalty lobby and you get the list as soon as it is known.

Hope you get something interesting when the list goes live.
thank you i will!!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: IHG Spire- Marriott-Hilton Diamond sort of- Choice Diamond
The Two Stay limit, is that per each new PB list, per year?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by peripateticlife
The Two Stay limit, is that per each new PB list, per year?
2 stays PER hotel per period. Unlimited number of nights each (obviously limited to availability and promotion period).
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: IHG Spire- Marriott-Hilton Diamond sort of- Choice Diamond
Originally Posted by chunky649
2 stays PER hotel per period. Unlimited number of nights each (obviously limited to availability and promotion period).
Thanks, I just stayed at one in Nov for 5 nights, want to stay again as soon as the list comes out. I'm sure it'll be on there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.