Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
SF IC Mark Hopkins

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, very.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked 1 King Bed Standard for $170 per night.

The first night I was upgraded to what I belive is the 1 King Bed Junior Suite on the 11th floor. It was next to the elevator which could be heard.

Vice president Biden was staying at the hotel the first night. The place was packed full of secret service and police officers. I figured that nicer suites may be available after he checked out. Sure enough, when I complained about the elevator noise, I was upgraded further to One Bedroom Suite on the 17th floor.

How are the rooms?
I loved the second room. The view included the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz. The bed was ultra comfortable.

Per the norm with old ICs, there was a shortage of plugs for charding our phones and laptops.

How is the exec. lounge?
Top notch staff. The "Full American Breakfast" included congee, dim sum, and noodles which I enjoyed.

Cocktail hour was from 5 to 7 and included champagne, free pour liquor, and a nice selection of beers.

There were few other guests in the lounge and the staff remembered me by name each day.

I did not purchase lounge access. I was upgraded. I have to say, after some China IC stays, it's great to get both lounge/club access as well as a suite upgrade complimentary.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Yes, a SF themed tin of chocolates.

How was the minibar?
Good. Half bottles of red and white wine. 2 light beers and 2 Anchor Steam beers, 2 minis of shmirnoff, Bombay gin, gum and whisey, 2 evian, 1 coconut juice
What was good and what was bad?Good: fun to have VP Biden staying at the hotel, staff, lounge, room.
Bad: I can't think of anything.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?Great value: but it was the off season.

Would you return?
For sure.

Last edited by JimmyJoe; Mar 5, 2016 at 4:46 pm
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by JimmyJoe
Yes, very.

How are the rooms?
I loved the second room. The view included the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz. The bed was ultra comfortable.

Per the norm with old ICs, there was a shortage of plugs for charding our phones and laptops.

I'm just guessing, but could this possibly be San Francisco Mark Hopkins Do I get the prize ?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Peter72

How is the exec. lounge?

Small and unstaffed lounge on the 3th floor with nice terrace
Great breakfast and evening champagne, but limited choice of evening canaps and spirits
No computer/printer

Do we really need a computer in a (small) resort club lounge (when there is a business centre)

Originally Posted by Peter72
Upgrade : no guaranteed suite upgrade for RA with club room booking (hotel has only 2 suites so all depends on availability at check-in)
Indeed, but this is the case at all hotels with small number of suites.

I was certainly lucky, and loved my suite:
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'm just guessing, but could this possibly be San Francisco Mark Hopkins Do I get the prize ?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:37 pm

Intercontinental Doha The city

InterContinental Doha The city

What is your Priority Club status?
Spire Elite Royal Ambassador

Yes, very happy

Booked standard room with points, received executive suite with club access and free minibar

How are the rooms?

Some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...doha-the-city/

How is the exec. lounge?
Evening spread and breakfast are AMAZING!

What was your welcome gift?
Wine

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes

What was good and what was bad?
Good
  • Upgrade
  • Fitnesscenter with view on top floor
  • Rooftop pool
  • Very friendly staff

Bad
  • Uber has problems with the hotel. The drivers don't pick you up and don't drive to the main entrance.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Yes, a bargain.

Would you return?
Yep
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:41 pm

Intercontinental Bangkok

InterContinental Bangkok

Yes

Booked club room and asked for suite upgrade in advance. Normal upgrade is suite OR club room.

How are the rooms?

Some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...tal-bangkok-3/

How is the exec. lounge?
A very good lounge with huge evening spread and large breakfast.

Souvenir, I think it was an elephant.

Yes

Good
  • Location next to Siam World, Central World and Paragon
  • View
  • Rooftop pool
  • Club is great

Bad
Nothing

Yes

Would you return?
Yes
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:49 pm

Intercontinental Ko Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort

Intercontinental Ko Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort

Yes

Suite and points combination, received Beach Villa.

How are the rooms?

Some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...g-ngam-resort/

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge, but you could buy club access which is similar to half/full board.

Souvenirs

Yes, a huge fruit bowl

Good
  • View
  • Upgrade
  • Friendly nice staff
  • Beach villa
  • Hotel is not secluded
  • Many many pools (I liked the pool with view over the rainforest)
  • IC and Conrad have the same view

Bad
Nothing

Yes, not cheap but you get a nice and unique resort

Would you return?
Yes
Old Mar 5, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Ian wins the prize!

Apparently when I thought my partially writen report disappeard, it had actually posted. I finished the report and inclued the hotel name.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:10 pm

Intercontinental San Francisco

Intercontinental San Francisco

Yes! This was a fabulous 3-night weekend stay.

Booked basic room. Upgraded to 1 BR King Suite on the top floor (33).

Note that this IC gives RAs both suite upgrade AND club access. I was guaranteed a junior suite with club access in advance after booking, but upgraded to a huge 1 BR suite upon arrival.

How are the rooms?

Very spacious, very well appointed.

How is the exec. lounge?

The lounge on the 6th floor had a great breakfast spread; soup and hor d'oeuvres in the afternoon / early evening; open bar at night. Very good customer service in the lounge -- attentive but not overwhelming.

Yes - large bowl of fruit and two small bowls of dried fruit and nuts.

How was the minibar?

Excellent selection: Champagne, white and red wines, beer, about 20 mini bottles of liquor; and a handful of non-alcoholic beverages.

No complaints. It was a truly wonderful stay.

I think it's a great value - especially on the weekends when rates are lower.

Would you return?

I wish I was still there!

Last edited by FLYGVA; Mar 12, 2016 at 5:57 am Reason: added name of hotel to post instead of post title only
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

InterContinental Berlin

InterContinental Berlin

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?

Spire Royal Ambassador

Yes, as always

Booked cheapest room + club and received a junior suite on the Western wing.

How are the rooms?
Around 45sqm
More a suite than junior suite
Warm contemporary interior design.
One room with sofa and desk. iPhone dock. Tassimo coffee machine.
Bedroom with very comfortable bed.
Nice bathroom with bathtub and separate shower. Agraria amenities
2 flat screen television sets with large selection of international channels
Very quiet
View over the city.
Wifi was a bit chaotic

How is the exec. lounge?
Great staff and very pleasant atmosphere.

Very good breakfast options
Food all the day long.
Evening hot options (including on week-ends).

The bar/coffee section has been modified with bar tables and stools, so that people can have a drink and keep the "restaurant" part quiet

GOOD
- Elegant dcor
- Very pleasant indoor pool and spa
- Bicycles can be rented

BAD
- Check-in staff could be more smiling and welcoming (surprisingly always a hit or miss at IC Berlin)

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
Yes, definitely

Pictures of the hotel

Pisctures of Berlin

Last edited by FLYGVA; Mar 12, 2016 at 5:56 am Reason: added name of hotel to post instead of post title only
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:59 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
IC Singapore

IC Singapore

Yes, definitely

o Booked cheapest Deluxe Room as first stay for some time and room naming all changed. To allow me to check room I wanted and upsell during 9.30am checkin.
o For RA the Deluxe jumps 2-cats to Club IC on old club floors
whilst the IC Club jumps to Premier Suite (old Junior Suitee)
o Paid for upsell to IC-Club , and helpfully given foc +1 extra 3cat upgrade to Heritage Suite (old Shophouse Suite) as all Premier Suites occupied

How are the rooms?
Just 8x Rooms on 2nd + 3rd floors overlooking shopping mall. Two large double width room suites, separate rooms (Sitting and Bed Rooms) with balcony for one of the rooms, and a large bathroom with separate bath and shower cubicle.
3rd Floor suite windows have malls gym level right across just 5m away. The gym opens it's window blinds 6am-10pm when open BUT I noticed the blinds opposite rooms 360+362 remained closed all day.
In fact one room of 362 is opposite the passage as against gym, no doubt why noted FTer UK1 famously always requested room 362.
Nice TV (x2) and plenty of channels, reasonable minibar.

How is the exec. lounge?
o New lounge is on floor 2 (used to be 11th floor)
o Checkin/Checkout staff very professional and helpful. Also empowered regards room allocations w/o needng to refer to management (eg foc extra cat upgrades if need be
o Other lounge staff all polite, helpful and attentive too.
o Nice and large, 1/4 is sofa type seating, 3/4's table seating
o 2x Apple computers, 1x colour laser printer (wifi enabled ! )
o lounge breakfast is nice enough. no cream cheese for smoked salmon so buy your own
lounge acccess allows restaurant b/f too, for more choices, again no cream cheese for my smoked salmon. (nor pastrami)
o lounge tea is now brought out on tripple level platter. Sandwhiches, Scones with Whipped (not clotted) Cream + apricot Jam (yes was not strawberry jam ??) and couple og chocolates
o Lounge evening. Not my fare types. If early enough I made myself a couple of cheese rolls.
No champagne, a sparkling Proseo which I found poor and too acidic. I made up Chablis+soda Spritzers or drank beer. Tiger and Heineken (bottles and Cans).
The staff also knock up cocktails from the spirits, cocktail menu list on the table

Tin with bag of IC Singapore Heritage tea inside
(Lion gift now finished as Singapore 50th is over)

How was the minibar?
no champers, half bottles red+white wine, 3beers, 5x sodas (sprite, cola. cola-zero, soda, tonic) and OJ + minature spirits (2x Chivas, 1x Brandy, 1x Vodka, 1x Rum)
(bottled OJ was terrible, strongly suggest grab 2x OJ bottles at b/f at either lounge or restaurant)

+Good
+ Lounge Checkin. 2nd Floor reachable w/o a room card
+ Lounge staff, took time to show me refurbed rooms
IC-Club, Heritage Suite (Shophouse Suite), Exec Suite (no Prem suites empty)
+ all RA bennies w/o asking, early checkin, late checkout (not needed), minbar etc
+ Easy to understand RA upgrade program of +2 Cat from booked room, always with lounge access.
+ location , Orchard road is 20minute number 7 bus ride s$2 to driver (easier than metro which requires line change). Taxi back circa s$10

-Bad
Absolutely nothing.

Deluxe at s$218++ for club room OR IC-Club s$321++ to J-Suite all with lounge access is a steal compared to Europe (London/Ams/Paris)
ex rate:= 1 => s$1.95
Would not use points here unless deluxe rate much higher or if points rich, I'd much rather have paid night towards RA Qualification.

Would you return?[/QUOTE]
without hesitation
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
IC Singapore

IC Singapore

Yes, definitely once again, second stay a few days later.

o Booked IC Club for 1night s$320++ at the same time I booked earlier first stay for a while (IC Club reserved as no Deluxe available to book).
o As discussed with Lounge Dragon (joking) on initial visit as returning shortly, although kindly offered same Heritage Suite an extra Cat upgrade foc again. I asked for a Premier Suite as not been shown one on initial visits looksee of refurbed rooms and also because is the hotels planned RA upgrade for an IC Club room booking.
o At checkin 14:00 received 9th Floor Premier Suite
++
o Mentioned during checkin I now needed to make stay 2nights, not just the booked 1night AND lounge receptionist manually and helpfully modded my reservation to 2nights, even giving me second night at same $320++ rate, although online rate now a higher s$420++

How are the rooms?
Premier Suites on higher floors, in main tower. A double width 2-room setup, but open archway beween living room and the bedroom.
These rooms are wrapped around the "service lifts" the first lifts you see on reception floor, not the lifts us guests use. Thus Premier Suite rooms are "L" shaped, outside wall opposite guest lift to both left and right (ie 2x Premier Suites)

Entryway has bathroom to left (shower, sink, bath, wc) and wardrobe space to right, plus suitcase rest.

Leads into living room which has
workdesk+workchair, 2-seater sofa , 2 csoft chairs, with oval coffee table, sofa facing partition wall (to bedroom) with large TV lots of channels. TV pulls out and can be slanted to watch from workdesk instead of sofa. Small full height window looks out over Heritage suites side to the mall

Bedroom through open archway, large comfy bed, facing same partition with similar TV and setup as living room. Usual bedside tables, bedside lights. Comfy king bed in which I slept well.

How is the exec. lounge?
o Checkin/Checkout staff very professional and helpful. Also empowered regards room allocations w/o needing to refer to management as seen when extending my booking +1night at same rate saving me s$100.

o lounge breakfast is nice enough. no cream cheese for smoked salmon so buy your own
lounge acccess allows restaurant b/f too, for more choices, again no cream cheese for my smoked salmon. (nor pastrami)
o lounge tea is now brought out on tripple level platter. Sandwhiches, Scones with Whipped (not clotted) Cream + apricot Jam (yes was not strawberry jam ??) and couple og chocolates
o Lounge evening. Not my fare types. If early enough I made myself a couple of cheese rolls.
No champagne, a sparkling Proseo which I found poor and too acidic. I made up Chablis+soda Spritzers or drank beer. Tiger and Heineken (bottles and Cans).
The staff also knock up cocktails from the spirits, cocktail menu list on the table

Tin with bag of IC Singapore Heritage tea inside

How was the minibar?
no champers, half bottles red+white wine, 3beers, 5x sodas (sprite, cola. cola-zero, soda, tonic) and OJ + minature spirits (2x Chivas, 1x Brandy, 1x Vodka, 1x Rum)
(bottled OJ was terrible, strongly suggest grab 2x OJ bottles at b/f at either lounge or restaurant)
Second day caught refiller who added diet-coke and 2x extra heineken foc for me ^ .
Noted room cleaner does not refill minibar which is not an auto-charge-bar, just a fridge.

+Good
+ Lounge staff, extended my 1night booking to 2nights whilst honouring my booked rate saving me s$100++ over booking a separate night their and then online ^
+ all RA bennies w/o asking, late checkout , minbar etc
As flying 01.00am, I was offered lounge till 22.30close. I left lounge 21.45pm.
+ Simple to understand RA upgrade program of +2 Cat from booked room, always with lounge access.
+ location

-Bad
Absolutely nothing.

IC-Club s$321++ to J-Suite with lounge access is a steal compared to the pricey major Europe Capitals rates. (Ams, London, Paris)
Would not use points here unless deluxe rate much higher or if points rich, I'd much rather have paid night towards RA Qualification.
(having seen both IC Club and Premier Suite, I see myself always booking IC Club to get Prem Suite , and occasionally extra cat of Heritage suite)

Would you return?[/QUOTE]
Without hesitation. My second excellent visit in 7days, an equally great stay.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by scubaccr
IC Singapore

Yes, definitely once again, second stay a few days later.

o Booked IC Club for 1night s$320++ at the same time I booked earlier first stay for a while (IC Club reserved as no Deluxe available to book).
o As discussed with Lounge Dragon (joking) on initial visit as returning shortly, although kindly offered same Heritage Suite an extra Cat upgrade foc again. I asked for a Premier Suite as not been shown one on initial visits looksee of refurbed rooms and also because is the hotels planned RA upgrade for an IC Club room booking.
o At checkin 14:00 received 9th Floor Premier Suite
++
o Mentioned during checkin I now needed to make stay 2nights, not just the booked 1night AND lounge receptionist manually and helpfully modded my reservation to 2nights, even giving me second night at same $320++ rate, although online rate now a higher s$420++

(...)

How is the exec. lounge?
o Checkin/Checkout staff very professional and helpful. Also empowered regards room allocations w/o needing to refer to management as seen when extending my booking +1night at same rate saving me s$100.

(...)

+Good
+ Lounge staff, extended my 1night booking to 2nights whilst honouring my booked rate saving me s$100++ over booking a separate night their and then online ^

(...)

IC-Club s$321++ to J-Suite with lounge access is a steal compared to the pricey major Europe Capitals rates. (Ams, London, Paris)
(having seen both IC Club and Premier Suite, I see myself always booking IC Club to get Prem Suite , and occasionally extra cat of Heritage suite)

Would you return?

When we were there a few months ago, Lucinda the club manager/team leader was one of the most pleasant and accommodating person I have ever met.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Mar 12, 2016 at 5:56 am Reason: shortened quote
Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:08 pm

Intercontinental Sao Paolo

I haven't posted any stay reviews recently but as the IC SP hasn't had recent reviews I thought I should this time!

Yes definitely!

Booked lowest room category on points and got upgraded to highest category - Executive Suite Club.

How are the rooms?

Very nicely decorated in contemporary style - grey muted neutral tones. The Executive Suite has a separate sitting room with a sofa and an armchair, desk, coffee table and large tv. The bedroom also has a large tv, armchair and a very comfortable king size bed. The bathroom is well appointed with a bath, separate shower cubical with great rain head shower, single basin and a bidet. Red accents in the bathroom and the toiletries are L'Occitane.

How is the exec. lounge?

Very nice with great staff who are eager to please. Breakfast - the usual buffet of hams, cheeses, pastries, yoghurts, good fresh fruit as every where in Brazil and a hot selection - hot egg dishes are also available to order. Lunch - savoury items, sandwiches etc.. Afternoon tea again some savoury items I think and cakes. In the evening from 7-9pm - cocktail hour with hot and cold savoury items and some cakes. Great Caiprinhas!

A plate of macarons, chocolate brownies and cookies. On our first afternoon 2 small bouquets of flowers were delivered to the room.

How was the minibar?

A couple of beers, a mini bottle of red wine, soft drinks and miniature bottles of Johnie Walker Red Label whisky, Chivas Regal and Vodka.

-Good

Everything - great upgrade, lovely room, nice club lounge and good location.

-Bad

Nothing.

Absolutely - we booked when the rate was 40,000 points per night - it has since gone down to 35,000 points but we were unable to cancel and rebook as one of our nights wasn't available so I didn't want to mess around with the booking in case we lost the points booking. Cheapest room on the nights we stayed was I think 310 and the suite we were upgraded to was over 500 so 1500 worth of accommodation for 3 nights for 120,000 points!

Would you return?

Yes if in SP.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Mark Hopkins

Yes

Booked standard and at first upgraded to a Jr suite. However it was not a nice room. No desk and a small un-renovated bathroom. So I asked to switch and was given an Executive room up on the 16th floor next to the Mark Hopkins Suite. This had a large renovated bathroom, was nicely appointed and had an awesome view. I had forgotten how great the view is at this hotel from the upper rooms and the Top of the Mark bar. RA's get club here too.

How are the rooms?
This is a very old hotel so the rooms vary quite a bit even within a category. I took a quick tour of the Mark Hopkins Suite since it was next to mine and it has an amazing historical parlor, a rare outdoor deck in that part of the city, and a solarium.

How is the mini-bar?
Not the greatest, but a decent selection of beer and wine.

How is the exec. lounge?
It is unique in that it is both a club and a public restaurant/bar. So you must identify yourself to the staff the first time you are there so they know not to charge you for breakfast and to point you to the free drinks and nibbles at happy hour. But the staff is excellent and remembered me when I went there on the second day. Club guests get free pressing and that worked even with express same day service.

GOOD
- Easily in the top 10 for IC's with a view. Maybe top 5.
- Good overall service

BAD
- Some rooms are rather old and should be upgraded. And they should not place RA's in such rooms IMHO.
- If you like walking around, you had better be in shape and women should not wear heels. It is a VERY steep climb back up to the hotel from union square and other areas. But there is a trolley.

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
Yes, the prices are in line with the other hotels in the city and actually $80 cheaper than the IC SF.

Last edited by stimpy; Mar 14, 2016 at 8:19 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.