Please post your Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:20 pm

IC Chicago Mag Mile

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked BOGO Premier King Grand Tower, received King Executive Tower. I assumed this was a smaller room but was assured this is not the case. Regardless, it's a $20 one category upgrade.

Room was 313 square foot.

How are the rooms?

Had a high floor XX06 room with stunning 270 degree views (W-N-E).

Somewhat modern but lacking: one outlet on the desk, no hotel info guide in the room, limited bathroom amenities and no dental kit.

How is the exec. lounge?

N/A

What was good and what was bad?

good:

Ambassador check in desk very friendly with early check in and late checkout. Newspaper delivery must be on my profile because I got the Trib at my door both mornings. You can send the concierge an e-mail attachment and they'll print out up to seven pages for you. The hotel texts you once you check in and you can text back with any requests. I tried this and got an automated replay three minutes later and a personal reply after that which was impressive.

bad:

You can take the small evian bottles from the mini bar as ambassador, but it was never replenished as mentioned on the welcome note. Welcome gift was a larger bottle of water given at check in and two stale macaroons (chinsy). Fruit plate was two apples and an orange (again, chinsy... how about some grapes or a banana for people on the go?). They no longer give out a free drink coupon for Jordan's (chinsy). So you're not getting that luxury "feel" like at many other ICs.

The chair in the corner of this room is facing the hallway and completely useless unless you just want to sit with your laptop. You'd have to lug it across the room just to watch TV.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

I spent 11 nights on one stay here last year and this stay was better than that one, but it's nothing to get too excited about. It was a good stay but you're not going to go "WOW." Still I was very pleased with every member of staff and it seemed like a decent use of the BOGO before expiration.

score: 8.5/10
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
IC Doral Miami

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? I booked award nights - 2 rooms, both standard 2 bed rooms - Received the same only because I called the manager the night before arrival asking for connecting rooms - which I received. The Ambassador check in attendant asked me if I was sure I didn't want the upgrade.

How are the rooms? No issues with rooms, wife is ecstatic. Also received in room water and fruit tray.

How is the exec. lounge? They actually gave me club access as a Spire Ambassador - and some free drink coupons (I don't drink, so I declined them)

What was good and what was bad? The In hotel restaurant was nice, albeit slightly expensive and slow, but nothing worth complaining about. Pool is nice, hotel was smaller than I imagined, but not in a bad way.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? I paid 30K per room per night in points. I booked 8 months out, when I called and talked to the manager, they were 40K a night per room per the website. Value is a hard subject, but I consider the 30K a night I paid cheap. Based on the stay so far, I wouldn't hesitate to come back.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
IC Tahiti Resort

Used points for a 3 night stay in Tahiti and was told at checkin that my Spire Ambassador benefits don't apply when you use points, so you get virtually nothing-not even an upgraded room. As a result, because I challenged the agent and advised that I had never heard that before she put me and my wife in what was probably one of the worst rooms in the hotel, although I didn't know it until we awoke the next morning and opened the draperies and saw that our "view" was the wall of the building next door. Fed up, I called the front desk to ask who the GM was and was given the name of the Rooms Manager and I went down and spoke with him. When I told him that I was an Ambassador and gave him my room number he was even surprised and said that I should have been given a better room than that and told me he would take care of it. We were on the way out for the day and he told me that he would have my belongings moved and to stop by the desk to pick up my new key on return. Surprisingly, he moved us to an overwater bungalow as I had called the Ambassador desk prior to booking the stay to find out if I could use points and pay to upgrade to a bungalow and was told there was no need for that as I should be automatically upgraded to a bungalow, if available, since I was a Spire Ambassador and they would note the reservation and contact the hotel to make sure the hotel tried to accommodate the upgrade since my wife and I were celebrating our 35th Anniversary. Apparently they didn't call but they did note the reservation with a SPECIAL UPGRADE which I guess is what saved me.

However, when we got to the bungalow there was a letter on the desk from the GM congratulating us on our Anniversary and saying that the IC Tahiti does not upgrade reservations using points, regardless of status, but "they had accommodated me solely based on the misinformation that had been provided by the Ambassador Customer Service line." The other thing that I learned is that I should have received a coupon for 20% off the price of breakfast each morning of my stay, instead of the 50% off coupon for ONE day, which is what I was given. Since this is a transient hotel and a lot of people stay only one night while transiting to Moorea or Bora Bora they give them the 50% off coupon. But if you are staying more than one night as a Spire Ambassador you should get a 20% off coupon for breakfast each morning. With the price of breakfast being $40USD per person, obviously the 20% off is a lot better if you're there 2 or more days. Unfortunately, I didn't find out about this until we had checked out and ran into a couple on Moorea that we met in Tahiti.

So, I guess it depends on who you get at check-in at this property as far as what you get-or don't get. But, they certainly don't subscribe to the Tahitian spirit that you find at other places on the island.

Last edited by romadaro; Jul 24, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
IC Geneva

IC Geneva

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked a superior room and were upgraded to a deluxe room on 15th floor.

How are the rooms? Clean and modern. We had an extra bed for my son and there was still plenty of room. There was a long sofa by the window and a Nespresso machine.

How is the exec. lounge? N/A

What was good and what was bad? Bathroom was dark and the shower was in the bath but there was a bidet. The wardrobe and drawers were in a separate dressing area between the bathroom and bedroom so the area felt spacious even with three of us. There was water in the room when we arrived. Half an hour later a bowl of apricots was delivered along with a bottle each of still and sparkling water plus our welcome gift of a jar of raspberry conserve.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
IC Toronto Centre

IC Toronto Centre

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked a two double beds deluxe room and the day before our arrival were upgraded to a two queen beds feature room on the 25th floor.

How are the rooms? The view was impressive - the corner room had large windows on three walls. It appeared to have been recently refurbished. Bathroom was poky with the shower over the bath.

How is the exec. lounge? NA

What was good and what was bad? No queue at check in as there was a separate Ambassador desk. Generous water in the room when we arrived, two bottles of still and one bottle of sparkling. A pack of maple syrup chocs and tin of maple syrup tea were the welcome gift. Fruit plate comprised a banana, apple and plum. The pool area was great. It was quiet and there was a hot tub. There was an outdoor sun deck next to the pool. We didn't use the fitness centre. We ate out mostly so can't comment on the restaurant.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? We paid 167 a night for three of us during the first week of August which I thought was reasonable.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:57 am

Intercontinental Barclay New York

I booked Superior King, got upgraded to Exec King. Upgrade showed within a few days in Upcoming Reservations.

Later on, a few days before the stay, I whacked on two weekend nights, but made the booking via Hotwire mystery hotel. I had called up the hotel before asking them to match the Hotwire rate (they refused) but I was offered a free upgrade to Exec King (from Superior Queen) since I had a 5 night stay after the 2 night Hotwire stay.

I thought that was very generous of them!

How are the rooms?
Exec King was great. Good size. Everything new. Got a 14th floor room, so no noise at all. Faced a brick wall. Wifi was really fast. One of the better business hotel experiences I've had definitely.

Niggles - no sockets on desk or below desk. Housekeeping was a bit erratic, forgot to replenish some toiletries some days. Only got Agraria toiletries. Complained about free bottled water, so ended up getting two bottles a day from the third day onwards. Coffee machine is the cheap Keurig kind.

The size of the Exec King would be considered standard in most other cities, but I guess in NYC it is pretty decent.

How is the exec. lounge?
Did not use. Nor was I offered paid lounge access when I checked in.

Location is pretty good, just a few blocks from Times Square, lots of subway lines around. Nice lobby.

Got the 2x free drinks voucher during check-in. It was that, some free points, or free water and fruits daily (but I ended up getting the free water anyways) so the free drinks voucher is worth it as the bar is pretty nice.

Breakfast was an exorbitant $50/head, so I didn't go for it. I wasn't offered a cheaper price either as an Ambassador or Platinum member either.

Free newspaper was only in the lobby (New York Times) and available to everyone anyways, not just Ambassadors.

Overall I don't think they go out of the way to please Ambassador members here.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
NA - cash stay.

Would you return?
Yes! I paid $250/night for Sunday to Friday, and with the free Ambassador upgrade I think I would have been hard pressed to find something similar in NY at the same room standard. But there are flaws here, and I suspect if you can go to $300/night, or willing to book Hotwire/Priceline or 3rd party sites, there are better options out there.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:55 am

IC Warsaw

Booked club room. Got club room with "better view" on 39th floor, so basically nothing. It looked like the Junior Suites (1 up) were booked out on Friday, but wide available on the 2nd night...

Welcome gift was fruit and a small bottle of red wine.

How are the rooms?
Decent - on a par with the usual IC. The light-up, glass-fronted cupboard that stored the wine glasses was a nice touch!

How is the exec. lounge?

Very good. Nice selection of mini desserts and macarons during the day. Dinner buffet rather than evening snack buffet during happy hour, which though limited in selection, looked good and filling. Breakfast was a bit sparse, but the offering in the restaurant was included and substantial.

Good
Club lounge
Service was friendly
Breakfast
Prices were very reasonable in the bars / restaurants

Bad
Zero upgrade.

Value for money but nothing stood out - I don't see why people rave about this property. Then again, the complete lack of upgrade put a damper on things. I would stay again if I found myself in Warsaw (but negotiate an upgrade in advance). Would not return to the city as a result of the hotel, which I do for some properties.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
IC Warsaw

Booked club room. Got club room with "better view" on 39th floor, so basically nothing. It looked like the Junior Suites (1 up) were booked out on Friday, but wide available on the 2nd night...

I don't see why people rave about this property. Then again, the complete lack of upgrade put a damper on things.
Some of the raving is focussed on the rather dramatic pool/spa complex on the very top floor. But sadly they've been a little too enthusiastic selling memberships, so with guests, residents and members the pool can get a bit soup-like at weekends.

They upgrade to the rooms-with-a-view, then to larger (I think 08 and 11) rooms-with-a-view. So it looks as though you might have received what they believe is a one-step upgrade. The larger rooms might be the junior suites. The proper two-room suites I've seen have had side (or no) view. I once got a crazily large suite with dining table etc etc - not something I like: just felt lost in it.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
They upgrade to the rooms-with-a-view, then to larger (I think 08 and 11) rooms-with-a-view. So it looks as though you might have received what they believe is a one-step upgrade. The larger rooms might be the junior suites. The proper two-room suites I've seen have had side (or no) view. I once got a crazily large suite with dining table etc etc - not something I like: just felt lost in it.
That is how they justified it as well. But, (and without being a swipe at the city, which I really like,) there are no "iconic" views. Coliseum in Athens, or river / sea rather than city, I can understand though would still prefer a better room, even if it means sacrificing the view.

Oh well.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If you stay multiple nights should your gift be better. I stayed 9 nights at the Intercontinental Hong Kong and got a small container of salt seasoning from their steakhouse.

if I had checked in multiple times, I would have gotten a new gift each time. Should the gift you get be better for more nights. They "save" by me staying 9 nights.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Ambassador
I have to say, the IC Warsaw is one of the best ICs I have stayed in, certainly in Europe. I have been there 4-5 times. Each time, I've booked a club room, I've always got the same 35th floor corner suite (with no prior negotiation)... great views, huge room, nice gift, lovely toiletries (L'OCCITANE) and the lounge IMO is very, very good. Also, the pool is something else, but I have only swam there at night when it's been empty!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:49 pm

IC London Park Lane

Stayed on a combo of points and chase anniversary as spire ambassador.

upgraded from classic to london superior in my reservation, however, when I checked in, I was downgraded to a superior. Not much I could complain about since I was still getting the upgrade.

No welcome back or thank you for your loyalty. Fruit and water received with no local gift. Water not replenished until the last day (which I think I only got because it was merged reservations) and not at turndown.

Room is straight out of 1980's Ritz Carlton and two small beds making up a "king" except the gap is so huge between the two mattresses, you could put your fist between them. There is not a single eye-level power outlet in the room. Housekeeping keeps putting the plunger in the tub each day which you have to try and dig out with your nails in to a germy, flithy drain.

Did not dine on property, nor use the lounge for a supplement (not offered), nor any of the facilities. Still, a very quiet stay.

Would only return on a points booking as it's not nearly worth the 500+ quid to stay there.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Plat AMB, HH Diamond, Delta Silver, Finnair Plat
IC - Malta

Booked King Club room, received the standard upgrade to a Junior Suite.

How are the rooms?
Very nice rooms. Obviously recently remodeled as everything still looked very new. Our check-in was delayed about a half hour while they took care of some sort of maintenance issue but were still able to check-in before noon which was nice. Our room was on the back side of the hotel so our balcony didn't have a great view up close, but in the distance we could see the cathedral in Valletta which was nice.

How is the exec. lounge?
Great lounge and service. Busy times from 9:30-10:30 for breakfast where it could be hard to flag a staff member for coffee or kitchen item. Excellent balcony though it could get loud at times due to the construction all around.

Concierge was incredible for the duration of the stay and made several great recommendations and reservations. Loved the location in the middle of lively nightlife. The service at their private beach area was also very good and drinks were well priced (relative to Scandinavia anyway). Only bad was the construction noise and the fact that the new hotels block most of the sea view, but can't really complain about that as its outside their control and just a fact of being in the popular location.

Phenomenal property in my mind, but at $250 I wouldn't call it a steal. Probably wouldn't stay for that price again unless it was a special occasion. If you could guarantee club access on a points stay though....
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
IC Frankfurt

IC Frankfurt

Booked BOGO Club Studio King, received Panorama Suit.

How are the rooms?

The suit was perfect, located on the Sky Line side/corner on the 11th floor. I believe it was a better choice due to the ongoing festival on river Main. Comfortable beds, modern interior and Agraria bath amenities made my stay a pleasant one. I was surprised how fast and efficient was the AC system (it was 30+ degrees outside during my stay).

How is the exec. lounge?

The lounge was great, providing continental breakfast, snacks during the day and warm dinner at evening. Because it was small, I was surprised it was not overcrowded. There were tables outside where you can enjoy river Main while reading a book.

Good:

Almost everything. I saw several days before the trip upgrade to Club Suite and upon arrival it was changed to even bigger Panorama Suite. The check-in was quick and Ms Melanie Goldberg from Customer Relations welcomed us and set a really great first impression for my stay. The suit was outstanding and I received a bottle of wine as a present. I was happy with almost (see below) of the staff, as they were efficient and courteous.

Bad:

I had a strange check-out experience. Upon late check-out (~14:30) stating one of my rooms (1101 - the suit was composed by 1101 and 1103) there was nobody else but myself at the front desk and the person asked me whether there was something new. I advised I had an additional bottle of Vodka (on the top of the Info Invoice I received in the morning) from the minibar and he asked me whether I want to pay in cash or by card. I requested to pay by card and asked whether this can be associated to the room bill. I didn't understand the response and was ok to pay separately, so the person continued with the operation and gave me an envelope with the invoice. At the hotel lobby I decided to check the invoice and was surprised it contained only the bottle of Vodka. Upon my return the person that I checked out with was busy with other guest and I advised his colleague that I just checked out and I didn't receive an invoice (again giving 1101). He said no problem and gave me an invoice. I was again surprised the invoice was the same as the first one (only 1 bottle of Vodka) and asked whether I can receive an invoice for my actual stay. At this stage the person told me his colleague didn't realize this is a Panorama Suit and gave me an invoice for my stay and requested my card for payment.
It is true that the invoice contains 1103 as a room number, however my common sense is telling me that if I am checking out (and handing over the access cards) I can tell both numbers and the agent shall check whether this is a single room or part of a suit and shall ask me whether I need an invoice (as I was always did). I am just wondering what was going to happen if I didn't return, receive a 2 nights stay for the price of an item from the minibar (as I was requested to pay upon my 2nd return and just had a pre-auth before that)? The interesting thing is that my final invoice didn't contain my original minibar consumption (which was part of the Info Invoice received), however I was hurry for my flight, so I am going to ask the hotel how we can settle the non-billed items.

Update: Upon contacting the hotel, received a very professional response + waiving the additional charges + additional 5000 points. I really believe the above this was a one-off exception.

IC Frankfurt always amazes me with it's low rates (starting from ~100EUR Best-Flexible), while providing an excellent service. In case I am going back to Frankfurt, I will definitely stay there again, however will predict a little bit more time for check-out or just use the Club Lounge for check-out.

Last edited by koriobg; Sep 6, 2016 at 1:57 am
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by koriobg
IC Frankfurt

IC Frankfurt always amazes me with it's low rates (starting from ~100EUR Best-Flexible).... In case I am going back to Frankfurt, I will definitely stay there again, ...
Don't get too enthusiastic!!

Those "from" rates disappear quickly outside quiet weekends. Rates can pick up significantly when demand is there, and it usually is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.