Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:15 pm

IC Istanbul

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked 2x standard rooms, upgraded to Bosporus view on one. Club access offered for EUR 50 for two, we declined

How are the rooms?

Beautiful wardrobes, was my first thought! Bright and spacious, very comfortable bed. However, bathroom was showing its age with a little bit of rust and erosion visible on the gilt plating in parts

How is the exec. lounge?
N.a.

What was good and what was bad?

Good
Wow, service was spectacular. Check in took longer than I expected but only because staff were so meticulous. Welcome gift was a small but beautiful tin of lokum and in a very nice touch, an IC branded suit carrier for my travel buddy, wrapped in tissue and gold ribbon "to not feel left out" 2 drinks vouchers. In the evening experienced some of the most exceptional service I've ever had at the rooftop bar, with a young waiter who went out of his way to make our night, offering copious advice and chat that managed to make our night, rather than be intrusive. Bearing in mind I was drinking cheap (for the IC) wine by the glass and him just some beer, being surprised with a lovely fruit platter and a shot each of a new vodka infusion the bartenders had been experimenting with was also unexpected.

Bad
No pool during winter. Forgot my morning paper (though not fussed). Not "bad" but noteworthy, this IC prices the bar and restaurants at "international 5*" levels. And I think this must be a universal IC issue but, why, WHY are all my materials addressed to Mister SwissBrit it makes me feel like I'm reading my father's mail!

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Absolutely worth the EUR81 per room! And looking forward to returning. The entire weekend cost less with the incredible deal that Swiss had on ZRH to IST in J, than staying in Switzerland and doing something mid-range...
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat
IC San Francisco

IC San Francisco

Booked Queen Standard. Upgraded to King Corner

How are the rooms?

Corner room on 22nd floor had a gorgeous view of SF and the bay. Room is spacious and nicely furnished.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:

-Early check in at 12:00pm no problem
-Upgrade was a couple of categories
-Fresh fruit in the room and bonus points given with out prompting
-The restaurant Luce is outstanding. It's a Michelin rated restaurant and we went twice. Brunch the first day was delicious but standard fare. The dinner on Valentines Day was a pre-fixe meal and out of this world. I was not overly impressed by the decor but the food was terrific.

Bad:
-N/A

Expensive, but San Francisco is expensive in general. The location is nice and it is worth the price. I'll definitely stay again.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Feb 16, 2016 at 7:30 am Reason: added name of property to post instead of post title only
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
IC Bordeaux

IC Grand Hotel Bordeaux

Booked Exec Opera View on New Hotel Opening rate €349/night. Upgraded to Junior Suite Opera view before arrival and then to Prestige Suite at checkin. Room was not categorised as "Prestige Suite Opera View" despite being on the front of the building with direct view of the Opera. Rack rate for room was €2800, if classified as Opera View would have been €4000/night.

How are the rooms?

Prestige suite has separate bedroom and large lounge with one bathroom and separate toilet. Very lavish but some unusual design choices. Prestige Suite has a beautifully appointed bar area which looks stunning but has limited use for the average guest. Bedroom and lounge have windows to Opera. Bathrooms show their 2007 heritage with poor shower. Nespresso machine, adequate WiFi.

How is the exec. lounge? N/A

Level of service was excellent - hotel looks beautiful. Breakfast (included in my room rate) superb with fresh omelettes, eggs, crepes; other hot items, meat, fruit, cereals etc... Checked in at noon and late checkout offered to 4pm on checkin without prompting.

Bar service noticeably poor. Visited both nights - first night slow but acceptable, ended up walking out second night after waiting 20 minutes for service. Spoke to bar manager who acknowledged problem despite bar not being very busy. No welcome gift.

Rooftop terrace looks stunning but only open during summer!

Yes, without a doubt - well located and impressive hotel. Question is how room rates will increase as hotel becomes established. At €349/night for a Prestige Suite, unbeatable.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
IC Istanbul

IC Istanbul

Booked Deluxe Room, upgraded to Club Room Sea View. (This is what was offered when I emailed to ask about upgrade policies, and the Deluxe was not much more than the Standard).

How are the rooms?

The basic club room is lovely; it's no suite, but it does have a nice little seating area in the room with a small couch and table, plus a work table and chair. The sea view is great; see a nice chunk of the city plus the water. Looks fantastic from the 17th floor!

How is the exec. lounge?

This is my first IC lounge so I've not much to compare it to, but it's in the middle of international IHG lounges overall. Lounge users enjoy free breakfast buffet in the lobby, which is pretty good and has a variety of hot and cold options and several non-pork meats (6:30-11:30). There wasn't much going on for the afternoon tea (15:00-17:00) other than a few pastries, but I guess that's tea. The "cocktail hour" is where it shines: the "appetizers" they talk about are actually a hot dinner buffet that was quite complete. There are soft drinks throughout the day and cocktails available in cocktail hour, but be advised that cocktails must be specially requested; there is nothing out or that you can serve yourself, and if you didn't think to ask, you wouldn't know they existed. But they do have some beers and wines and as we speak I'm sipping on a Ballentine's. The views from the lounge are very good.

Good
Check-in was fast at midnight! Service is fast and friendly all over the hotel. Great value. Internet is fast. Great recognition as Spire Ambassador with free movie, newspapers, high-speed internet, etc.

Bad
Nothing comes to mind; it was pretty good all around.

Very good! My total would have been $619 USD for 4 nights ($154.75/night) which still feels great. However, with Citi Prestige 4th night free, I got a $167 rebate on that price, so ended up paying a total of about $112/night for a kick-... club room that essentially included 4 breakfasts and dinners.

Last edited by LaphroaigAndRibeye; Mar 9, 2016 at 10:28 am Reason: Formatting tags
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Ambassador
IC Melbourne The Rialto

Booked Club Room, upgraded to a Junior Suite

How are the rooms?

It's a large room, nicely appointed with a massive bathroom and a whirlpooth bath, but it's a push to call it a suite... it was just 1 larger room. Also had a nesspresso machine and big, comfy bed

How is the exec. lounge?

Great - excellent breakfast, sandwiches in the afternoon and canapes in the evening. Enjoyed my time there a lot, including helpful staff.

Good
Good food / lounge
Nicely appointed room
Lovely pool
Good location from which to get around the city

Bad
Internet was very poor / slow
Not given Spire freebie on check-in... had to go back and ask for it
Ambassador 'gift' was just three rather miserable looking apples plonked on a plate and nothing else... very different to what I have experienced / received in other hotels

It's an expensive hotel, but overall I was pleased and I would return
Old Mar 12, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb
Post Intercontinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong

Intercontinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong

Booked 2 Double Bed Deluxe Side Harbour View, upgraded to 2 Double Bed Deluxe Full Harbour View.

How are the rooms?
Nice and clean. Good harbour view.

How is the exec. lounge?
N.A.

Good service. A temporary room was offered when I checked in early in the morning.

Value for money and I would return if I visit Hong Kong again.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Intercontinental Paris Le Grand

Booked a Standard Club Room, which was upgraded to an Executive, just as they confirmed by email prior to arrival.

How are the rooms?

If the decor is your style, they're great. Modern amenities but with great "classic" look. I've stayed here 4 times now - as with any old hotel, rooms are not all equal. This is my first official upgrade but I suspect I've been upgraded here before. Exec room is a decent size - especially for Paris - with a desk, separate table and comfy chair, and enormous bathroom with separate bath and shower.

How is the exec. lounge?

Fantastic. Two levels with views over the roof of the Opera Garnier. Open all day, and serving a decent breakfast choice including bacon, eggs etc, various snacks and treats during periods of the day, and evening buffet which includes smoked salmon and foie gras. Champagne all day, with wines in the afternoon and full spirits from about 6.30pm. Great staff too.

Good - everything so far, as usual. Check in great - acknowledgement of my status, etc. All by the book. Wonderful hotel and location and staff, wonderful architecture and decor. I've even stayed here on a free price match challenge night and received such a warm welcome - perhaps even congratulations on my "achievement".

Welcome treat was a bowl of fruit - with knife and fork (such class!) - mini jar of local sweets/lollies, and a little IC Paris branded notebook.

Bad - nothing major springs to mind. Only niggly thing is that they have the automatic mini-bar where you're charged for anything that is touched, which I HATE.

Priced more cheaply than the Palace grade 5 stars in Paris, but with such character, I think this hotel is great value for money, especially if you score an IHG member discount rate. I wouldn't plan to stay anywhere else when I come to Paris.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:03 am

You paid for lounge access? At which rate?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 336
You paid for lounge access? At which rate?
Hi - is this a question for me on IC Paris?

If so, then no. I booked a Standard Club room. Seems that's the only room type they sell which includes Club access.

Otherwise, you can book any room type and pay a supplement for Club access. At check in this was quoted at EUR140, but at the Club reception, I heard EUR70 quoted, I assume this is per person based on double occupancy.

I'm not sure if it's a one off, or a nightly fee.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
My IC Istanbul looked like it was added to the index but is no longer there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26307833-post34.html
Old Mar 19, 2016, 5:31 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steven6702
My IC Istanbul looked like it was added to the index but is no longer there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26307833-post34.html
Added it again (might be some database issues ...)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
IC Chicago

What is your Status?
Spire Ambassador

Booked the cheapest available, which was "1 King Bed Mobility Accessible Tub". Received "1 Premier King Executive Tower".

How are the rooms?

The room had a U-shaped sleeping/living space, encompassing a bathroom in the center. The U-shaped room provided a panoramic view from the 21st floor, but it made an efficient floor plan impossible. The view south was picturesque, the view north was partially blocked by one of the hotel's gargoyles (which was actually pretty cool). The renovated rooms are bright, soothing, and modern.

How is the exec. lounge?

No lounge available

Good - They truly went above and beyond with the elite benefits. The 5-level room upgrade was extremely generous. At check in, I was provided two drink vouchers for Michael Jordan's Steakhouse, two vouchers for Starbucks, and two breakfast vouchers. It was an embarrassment of riches; I'm grateful when an IC gives any freebies beyond what they are obligated, and I've never got three before.

Bad - They provided fruit and water the first day, but not the second day.

A tremendous value for the money. Chicago is a competitive market for hotels (and they keep building new ones); it seems that the Intercontinental is doing everything they can to remain competitive with their more recently-built competitors.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by patmcpsu
What is your Status?
Spire Ambassador

Booked the cheapest available, which was "1 King Bed Mobility Accessible Tub". Received "1 Premier King Executive Tower".

How are the rooms?

The room had a U-shaped sleeping/living space, encompassing a bathroom in the center. The U-shaped room provided a panoramic view from the 21st floor, but it made an efficient floor plan impossible. The view south was picturesque, the view north was partially blocked by one of the hotel's gargoyles (which was actually pretty cool). The renovated rooms are bright, soothing, and modern.

How is the exec. lounge?

No lounge available

Good - They truly went above and beyond with the elite benefits. The 5-level room upgrade was extremely generous. At check in, I was provided two drink vouchers for Michael Jordan's Steakhouse, two vouchers for Starbucks, and two breakfast vouchers. It was an embarrassment of riches; I'm grateful when an IC gives any freebies beyond what they are obligated, and I've never got three before.

Bad - They provided fruit and water the first day, but not the second day.

A tremendous value for the money. Chicago is a competitive market for hotels (and they keep building new ones); it seems that the Intercontinental is doing everything they can to remain competitive with their more recently-built competitors.
What does "no lounge available mean?" Not available to you, or there is no lounge in service right now? Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Steven6702
What does "no lounge available mean?" Not available to you, or there is no lounge in service right now? Thanks!
There is no lounge at that property.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
InterContinental Davos

InterContinental Davos

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes, exceptionally so.

Booked club room/deluxe room over a mixed paid(2), BOGOF(1) and rewards(2) 5 night combo and upgraded to an Alpine Executive (junior) suite for duration.

How are the rooms?

Wonderful; spacious and well-appointed with breathtaking view over the Alps from a massive 5-section balcony. Large open-plan suite with separate sections for bed, lounge area with sofa and armchairs, work-space/dining table and 2 chairs. Nespresso machine with large selection of various pods (30+). Complimentary minibar with 4 beers and mainly carbonated waters and a couple of sprites/iced teas. Large bathroom with beautiful La Prairie toiletries, separate rain-shower and stand-alone bath with Alps views.

What was the Ambassador Gift/Amenity?

Bowl of fruit, box of Swiss chocolates and mineral water. Plus "lucky-dip" gift at check-in of free bottle of house wine, which we had on sun-lounge of Nuts & Co.

How is the executive lounge?

Very nice design, comfortable, and plenty of tables and chairs free even on the busy Friday/Saturday evenings. 3 types of canapes plus soup and bread in the evening, with 5 spirits, beers, and red and white wine plus Prosecco. Coffees and soft drinks throughout the day. Club access allows breakfast to be taken in the main Capricorn restaurant. The lounge is unattended by reception staff, and there is minimal staff presence throughout so it is very much self-service.

GOOD
- Great contact from front-office staff beforehand in answer to queries
- Pick-up from station, lovely personal welcome from Martina on arrival, status recognition
- Wonderful hotel; very high quality furnishings and finish throughout. Stand-out location.
- Ambassador upgrade honoured for duration of mixed paid/rewards stay
- Excellent La Prairie toiletries
- Superb, spacious suite with incredible views over Alps
- Great breakfast selection in main restaurant
- Club 'lounge' in town by ski area/ shuttle drop-off
- Regular shuttle service to ski area
- Upmarket spa area with small outdoor pool/jets
- Marcus (Guest Relations Manager) was massively helpful in making special arrangements for us for an event
- Great, friendly and smiling staff throughout

BAD
- Nothing. I mean absolutely nothing! Yes, it was extremely busy at breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings but a 5-10 minute wait for table and normal (good) service resumed. We had a lovely time for the duration and didn't experience any of the problems or service issues that others have mentioned encountering at busy times.

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?

Superb value as an Ambassador utilising a combination of BOGOF, paid and rewards nights. Absolutely 100% certain to return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.