Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst platinum gift yet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt
At the HIX Shenzhen, they give Rewards Club member a welcome drink (choice of small bottle of Coke, Sprite, mineral water or a can of local beer) and additionally for Platinum and above member, a small box containing 2 mini-Snickers chocolate bar.

I think coming from HIX, that was a pretty nice gesture on their part. ^
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
In all honesty and seriousness, my daughter would love this, or any badge...
We should keep in mind that there is always someone who might enjoy the gift. I recently received a shabby luggage tag as an elite member. Nevertheless a travel companion was really keen on it.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by BorussiaMG
We should keep in mind that there is always someone who might enjoy the gift. I recently received a shabby luggage tag as an elite member. Nevertheless a travel companion was really keen on it.
My wife (Spire Elite) got the (one) luggae tag too at a StayBridge suite.

There was also a free spin of the lotto wheel which produced a 2 4 1 drinks voucher ( as opposed to a staight free drink in the bar).

At least that meant the 2 beers were Ł8 in total.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying blue
Originally Posted by chrisksc
At the HIX Shenzhen, they give Rewards Club member a welcome drink (choice of small bottle of Coke, Sprite, mineral water or a can of local beer) and additionally for Platinum and above member, a small box containing 2 mini-Snickers chocolate bar.
I stay in quite a few HI hotels in China, usually it's look around to see what they can give as a gift. Had Holiday Inn mugs, bags, usually it's a case of reading their fridge and giving me the cartons of lemon drink. They usually remember a day later that they should give a plate of fruit. Definitely an afterthought on their part.

The GuangZhou HI was odd, I was going to move there from ShenZhen one trip, until I gave my card number as part of the booking, then they wanted an extra $100 a night if I was staying as an IHG member. Our local guys said they could get a better hotel for less than the non-IHG rate, so went with that.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I could kind of go for the fridge magnet version of the button but then I've got a certain amusement at business fridge magnets in general.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:04 pm

To the OP, I'll gladly take your comped drink & junk pin in exchange for 0.0 perks at Winnipeg Airport Polo Park (and ~40% of all IHG properties). Be grateful if you received a room upgrade on top of the free drink. Most Plats will have to hunt down the GM to get the 500 bonus points that rarely post.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stigs
Be grateful if you received a room upgrade on top of the free drink. Most Plats will have to hunt down the GM to get the 500 bonus points that rarely post.
I'm always grateful at getting any upgrade or freebie, this was a bit ... when I got it, like people would wear them.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Stayed in a different Delhi Crowne plaza and found different odd treats and cakes left in my room each day.

And on the last day, a special IHG cake:

The staff did go overboard for the platinum thing, shaking hands at the check in and check out for being platinum. Another poor guest clearly didn't want to shake hand when I was checking out, the guy behind the counter didn't give up, stood there with hand out until the guest gave in.

Last edited by vexorg; Jan 19, 2016 at 9:26 am
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Hilarious thread
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
The badge is really odd and useless. I've received a few weird/useless IHG gifts over the years. The worst was a suit carrier bag from an IC somewhere that I can't recall. But it wasn't a nice one that you could actually use but more like what your dry cleaner would use, just with the IC logo on it. Swanky.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
LOL, imagine if the badge spelled platinum "Plaitmun".
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
LOL, imagine if the badge spelled platinum "Plaitmun".
At least people usual know what Platinum means, if badge said Spire most non IHGers would have absolutely no idea
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by KMPete
The worst was a suit carrier bag from an IC somewhere that I can't recall. But it wasn't a nice one that you could actually use but more like what your dry cleaner would use, just with the IC logo on it. Swanky.
The former IC Berchtesgaden had a nice suit bag hanging in the closet when I first visited in 2010 but they were enhanced away by the time I returned in 2013.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
My wife and I were quite amused/bemused on check-in at a Mid-Western HI or HIX a couple of years ago on a cross-country trip when we were presented with a platinum coloured helium-inflated balloon on a stick! They also had gold balloons for golds and something else for club - I think red which I guess will have had to change with the introduction of spire! The fact we didn't have kids didn't stop them dishing out the balloon to thank us for our loyalty - so its not just in India that these anomalies happen.

However as useless as the benefit was it was entertaining to some degree.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
When things were still Priority Club, The Candlewood Suites in Santa Clara, CA used to give you your status on a magnet to put on the door of your room to advertise to everyone on your floor that there was a 'Platinum' staying near them.
Worst gift was ages ago, some Crowne Plazas gave out plastic key fobs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.