Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Hong Kong versus IC Grand Stanford comparison

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat, EK Gold
the IC HK is no doubt the superior hotel + lounge if price per night is no object

that said, the lounge at IC GS is quite respectable but the rooms are nothing special
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any thoughts on which one may be more likely to allow early checkin (ideally 10 am or so) as AMB on award?
Service level at ICHK was great on past stays but lack of AE stop wasn't; never stayed at GS...
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:07 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by azepine00
Any thoughts on which one may be more likely to allow early checkin (ideally 10 am or so) as AMB on award?
Service level at ICHK was great on past stays but lack of AE stop wasn't; never stayed at GS...
Our last stay at the ICHK was early this year, but I read that they are renovating. The surrounding construction was annoying and it was just in the land fill and foundation stage with the barricades going up on the other side for another construction project. Better check on the status depends on when you are going. The lack of an AE stop at ICHK just mean that you should take a taxi. Not too expensive.

While the GS is good, the views are not the same unobstructed ones we get at the ICHK. Plus, the GS seems more difficult about guest requests, so early checkin will depend on who you get at the FD as well as occupancy.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The I HK will be undergoing construction for some time. The caissons supporting the apparent extensions to the Harbourside Restaurant and Lobby Lounge are the beginning, on Vic Harbour sid, and there’s a lot of construction on the two sides at least. And do seek a 4th or higher floor harbor view, because the two anchored barges will impede your view. Noise begins about 8 am weekdays.

Members in the IC HK dedicated thread indicate the IC HK will close after Chinese New Year 5 February) 2019 is and remain closed for perhaps 18 months for the awaited and extensive refurbishment to come.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JDiver
Members in the IC HK dedicated thread indicate the IC HK will close after Chinese New Year 5 February) 2019 is and remain closed for perhaps 18 months for the awaited and extensive refurbishment to come.
As an update, that thread now indicates closure has been moved to 2020
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
ICHK / ICGS as Platinum & Gold on reward stays ????

Hi, any updated thoughts on these two ?

Thinking of a 2 night 2 room stay with my 70yr old parents. Their first time in HK, 2nd for me (but was working mostly).
Stayed at the Langham before, on the company :-)

I'm only a Platinum IHG member and my Mother's a Gold.
Would be tempted to buy Ambassador status if it'd guarantee us something nice like lounge access :-)
However I am thinking of using a free night cert & 210 points for the stay.

The ICHK is 'only' 10K points per night more than the ICGS so unless the ICGS gives lounge access &/or upgrades where ICHK wouldn't then the ICHK sounds the best to me. It does seem a shame though to stay in such a nice hotel and only have the basic room !!

Anyone know what, if any, benefits Plat get at these specific ICs on reward stays ?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Hi, any updated thoughts on these two ?

Thinking of a 2 night 2 room stay with my 70yr old parents. Their first time in HK, 2nd for me (but was working mostly).
Stayed at the Langham before, on the company :-)

I'm only a Platinum IHG member and my Mother's a Gold.
Would be tempted to buy Ambassador status if it'd guarantee us something nice like lounge access :-)
However I am thinking of using a free night cert & 210 points for the stay.

The ICHK is 'only' 10K points per night more than the ICGS so unless the ICGS gives lounge access &/or upgrades where ICHK wouldn't then the ICHK sounds the best to me. It does seem a shame though to stay in such a nice hotel and only have the basic room !!

Anyone know what, if any, benefits Plat get at these specific ICs on reward stays ?
Your Platinum and Gold status are irrelevant. Ambassador status would not get you lounge access.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
First trip to HK in April next year and my plan was to stay at the ICHK but after contacting the hotel directly they informed me they will be closed and reopening in 2021 as a Regent.

Notwithstanding the numerous hotel options for HK the two in my mind at the moment are the ICGS and the Indigo HK Island. The former would be 2 nights paid with club IC access and one night using a free night cert (we won't arrive until about 10pm so no club access for the first night wouldn't be a problem), the latter would be entirely points. What room would I need to book to get a decent harbour view (Spire Ambassador) and I would appreciate any other thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by strickers
First trip to HK in April next year and my plan was to stay at the ICHK but after contacting the hotel directly they informed me they will be closed and reopening in 2021 as a Regent.

Notwithstanding the numerous hotel options for HK the two in my mind at the moment are the ICGS and the Indigo HK Island. The former would be 2 nights paid with club IC access and one night using a free night cert (we won't arrive until about 10pm so no club access for the first night wouldn't be a problem), the latter would be entirely points. What room would I need to book to get a decent harbour view (Spire Ambassador) and I would appreciate any other thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks.
A grand premier city room gets you upgraded to a side harbour view room, which I found more than decent.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat

Thanks.
Good advice above regarding the room at ICGS. You'll get a good view of the harbour and Island but note you'll only see as far as Wanchai - no views of the "main" Admiralty/Central skyline with the most famous skyscrapers, but great all the same. Club is wonderful at ICGS, I actually prefer it to the one at ICHK. Staff are fab, food is good.

No harbour views at the Indigo, you're surrounded by buildings of equal or higher height, however some rooms look towards the hills/Peak of the island, which I like, personally.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody

Thanks.
It's all balance. Grand Stafford is a fine choice. There is no substitute for bay view, and the advice on the upgrades provided above is solid advice. It's near to many restaurants. Not so much hustle/bustle. (Like at the Holiday inn Golden Mile, for example.)

The corner rooms at the Indigo (deluxe, I think) are nice if you get the higher floors. The windows on both walls are huge; I like them. I was upgraded once to a suite, but most of the time you get what you book. I don't know what they do for SPIRE... I stopped staying there a while back because there never seemed to be upgrades and the breakfast places sucks. The rooftop bar is underwhelming. The area is cool... near Wan Chai market.

I would also recommend the Crowne Plaza. I think you can book a deluxe room, and the upgrade would be to a Race Course view room. I really like those rooms. And I am VERY satisfied with the SPIRE treatment. They don't have a lounge. But they do give you a few free appetizers and some free drinks at the rooftop bar, which I actually prefer. You get a free breakfast at their buffet restaurant; nothing to rave about, but certainly adequate. They've always taken care of me. It's a bit of a walk to the MTR... probably not unlike Grand Stafford. You are also close to Times Square... plenty to walk around and see there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.